PDA

View Full Version : Good rainy day book

ksfowler166
05-29-2015, 03:21 PM
I have been reading Sixguns by Elmer Keith and I am finding it very informative and enjoyable. Over the past couple of weeks I have had quite a bit of time to do some reading with all the rain we have been getting. This is my first experience with any of Keith's books and I have to say it has changed my opinion of him for the better. At first I honestly just dismissed him because of his vocal recommendation for large caliber firearms which is not my cup of tea. I of course don't agree with everything he preached mostly the need for large caliber guns to take game or for defensive use. In my opinion the book is remarkable still relevant for the most part except for the magnumitis and some specific products. I believe that Keith's recommendation for large caliber guns came from the fact that bullets were of poorer design then today. With todays JHP we can get a 9mm to expand to 55-60 caliber and give 13-14 inches of gel penetration while a FMJ will penetrate further but not expand. I found is stories fascinating as well as informative especially the ones dealing with gun fighting and long range shooting.

The book is a wealth of information on all revolver subjects and is very all encompassing. Though looking at the load data it kind of makes one wonder it ol Elmer was crazy, suicidal, or just plum lucky. He wrote that the S&W Centennial and Chief's Special were capable of handling 38/44 power loads (pg 194). That is a 160gr hollow point over 13.5gr of 2400 in a 38 spl case (pg 272).:holysheep

Load data aside a very good read with a surprising amount of relevant information considering the book is around 60 years old. The book is also available for the right price on amazon $13.50 for paperback or $10 for an ebook.
Sixguns by Keith (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1477661697/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1477661697&linkCode=as2&tag=infob01b-20)

Some other books by Keith that I thought the members here might be interested in.

Shotguns by Keith (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I31ZK0S/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00I31ZK0S&linkCode=as2&tag=infob01b-20)

Letters From Keith (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1581606532/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1581606532&linkCode=as2&tag=infob01b-20)

Big game rifles and cartridges/Sixgun cartridges and loads (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006R6N8K/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0006R6N8K&linkCode=as2&tag=infob01b-20)

Thumbcocker
05-29-2015, 08:48 PM
Sixguns could be a bit better organized, on the other hand that makes rereading it so enjoyable you always find something new. So dismiss Elmer as a cranky old guy. I think it is easy to be taken as cranky when people poo poo stuff you have seen and done yourself. I will never be without a copy of Sixguns.

Treetop
05-29-2015, 11:13 PM
Sixguns by Keith is one of my all time favorite books! There's no telling how many times I have read and reread portions of it.

Clay M
05-30-2015, 10:05 AM
I enjoy "Hell I Was There" ,if you can find a copy. I have many older books by Keith..
but yes Sixguns is a great book..

Piedmont
05-30-2015, 07:39 PM
Sixguns is the best handgun book ever written.

Wolfer
05-30-2015, 09:42 PM
When I was a young man and knew a lot more than I do now Elmer was still writing. I never read his stuff. I considered him an egotistical old coot. In later years I got ahold of Hell, I was there and come away with a new respect for the man.
He was for certain a tough and extremely experienced man.

I also have Sixguns and while I'm not interested in as much power as Elmer liked I find the book very interesting and reread it pretty regular.

MtGun44
06-04-2015, 11:17 PM
I have learned a lot from Sixguns and never found anything he said worked
to not be correct. I won't stress up some of my old S&Ws the way he would,
but the newer .44s like his load a lot.

Folks call him a BSer, but I have always found is info to be true. I agree that
his push for large calibers was probably accurate in his day, due to poor
quality bullets. I think a Barnes TTSX would have impressed him by it's
performance.