PDA

View Full Version : New Pedersoli throat vs old one:

M71
05-29-2015, 10:53 AM
Hello, As you may have read I decided on the Pedersoli "Long Range" 1874 in 45-70 instead of another roller because I wasn't interested in modifying the hammer when reaming the chamber to 45-90. Now comparing the new "Long Range" 1874 and my old "Super Match" Roller there is a significant difference in the throat or "leade" dimensions. My currently loaded paper patched and grease groove bullets for the roller will not fully chamber in the new 1874. The measurement between the end of the case mouth and where the land starts is much much closer than the older roller. Free bore has been reduced to almost zip. I prefer PP bullets so I'm going to seat the bullet more to compensate. It's kind of disappointing that I can't use the same rounds in both guns, however after rechambering it won't matter. I need to discuss with the gunsmith how much free bore his reamer will cut. I like the longer "leade" because I can seat the bullet out a long way, allowing for more powder capacity without compressing like crazy. It's going to be awhile before my gunsmith can perform the task so I'm going to familiarize myself with the gun. On a side note I ordered a matching Soule Sight base so I can easily use my current sight on both guns. When I removed the butt plate there was a huge cut out area. I filled a freezer bag with 45 Colt bullets and tightly filled in the space. The gun weighs about another 1 1/2 pounds and balances in the middle of the forearm now. She weighs in a touch under 14 lbs.

M71
05-29-2015, 01:03 PM
The reason the previously loaded, fire formed cases wouldn't chamber in the 1874 is because the cases were fire formed in the roller. As to my idea of reducing the COAL it is completely unnecessary. The COAL can actually be increased in the 1874. The T. Ballard PP bullet is tapered enough the amount of free bore doesn't make any difference. Sometimes I'm dumb. Occasionally I'll get over it. Range testing ahead.

country gent
05-29-2015, 01:51 PM
Chamber casts will show the diffrences you need to know. Another is to look at alot of chamber reamer drawing with the casts in hand to see what matches or is what you want. You have a good idea whats working in your roller so.....

EDG
05-29-2015, 02:31 PM
Shoot it a while. You might enjoy understanding the differences in the chambers.

montana_charlie
05-30-2015, 02:04 PM
And, if you ever wanted such a thing ...
There is a GG bullet specifically designed for the throat in that Sharps.

CM