PDA

View Full Version : Malcolm scope?

velocette
05-29-2015, 09:59 AM
I am proceeding with the work on my Whitney 2nd model Rolling Block rifle. The next stage is to find and fit a suitable optic
for the rifle. My eyes simply do not work any more for iron sights. Therefore an optic is a requirement. Within my budget,
a Leatherwood Malcolm scopes is feasible. The one I think would suit me and the rifle is the 30" 6X scope with the 3" extension to fit my 28" barrel, offered by Buffalo Arms.
( http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=164754&CAT=4100 )
Any of you have experience with them, their mounts, durability, usability?

Doc Highwall
05-29-2015, 05:41 PM
The scopes optics are good, but the mounts suck. What distance are you going to shoot with this rifle? The reason I ask is the longer scopes will not let you shoot as far as a shorter scope like a 23" long scope due to running out of elevation.

bgmkithaca
05-29-2015, 06:08 PM
As stated above the mounts are certified junk- I used the USMC sniper scope mounts that are listed on the same site with complete satisfaction. The drawback is that they cost as much as the scope if you have budget constraints.No complaints with the scopes.

country gent
05-29-2015, 07:36 PM
I have 2 MVA made malcomn Scopes on BPCR rifles. I read alot on the leather woods and malcomns By Montanna Vintage Arms and Chose MVAs. The mounts are better the long range have more adjustment and just better reviews all around. I am completely pleased with both mine. The one draw back is the "lead time" to get one. Im shooting the 34" model with a 17" ring spacing.

JSnover
05-29-2015, 07:44 PM
The Malcolm on my 45-70 roller did not impress me. The scope was fine but the mounts were not up to the task - yes, I bought the long range package.