PDA

View Full Version : Nickel plated brass (45-90)

oldred
05-29-2015, 09:27 AM
Saw some nickel plated 45-90 brass at a LGS a couple of days ago (Starline) but these were loaded rounds and not for sale, they were to be included with an extremely nice 1886 Win he was selling for another customer. While I certainly don't "need" any nickel plated brass it sure looked nice and I would love to have some for my leather cartridge belt. Midway did list it in 45/70 but none of the longer cases, Starline has it listed but only in dealer quantities at $885 per drum which is of course a few more rounds than I need! Anyone seen any of this stuff and/or know where I could find any? I would like to have a hundred rounds or so but even twenty would probably be enough.

oldred
05-29-2015, 10:32 PM
Well apparently I am looking for something that is extremely rare and probably not even available. Oh well, it was just "Bling" anyway I suppose and would have served no useful purpose except I liked it. The one's I saw had what appeared to be about 300 grain flat nose bullets with those silly looking copper jackets and I thought they would look really nice in my leather cartridge belt with with big round nose all lead of about 500 grains or so. :-)

mongoosesnipe
06-03-2015, 12:25 AM
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/17884

oldred
06-03-2015, 10:03 AM
Wow, thanks I don't know how I missed that! I even checked there but not close enough evidently! A hundred rounds is the smallest amount for order and just happens to be the exact number I wanted.

Thanks again for the link

Idaho Sharpshooter
06-12-2015, 02:31 AM
Okay, I'll be the dummy to ask: How does one anneal nickel brass properly?

oldred
06-12-2015, 02:27 PM
Okay, I'll be the dummy to ask: How does one anneal nickel brass properly?

I thought about that but these will probably be loaded with smokeless anyway, I keep my BP brass (the most often used) separate from the smokeless rounds that don't require annealing. Actually I have fired a bunch of un-annealed all brass cases with BP (real BP, I won't use that phony junk) without any apparent problems. If I understand correctly the main purpose of annealing for BP is so the case will seal the chamber, is that correct? With the un-annealed rounds I have fired I have no signs of gas leakage around the case mouth but most of my brass has now been annealed anyway except for the cases reserved for smokeless shooting.

martinibelgian
06-13-2015, 01:11 PM
Try tempilaq to time the annealing - that'll do it. After doing 2-3 with tempilaq, you'll know the required timing for the rest.

oldred
06-14-2015, 02:08 PM
I will not be annealing these cases since it's not required for what I intend to use them for.