PDA

View Full Version : Scrap yard only place for XRF scan?

konsole
05-28-2015, 06:48 PM
I need to get a few bars (about 13-lbs total) scanned to find out their exact alloy. Tomorrow I'll be stopping at the scrap yard to get rid of a few bucket of steel clips, and I'll be bringing the bars of unknown alloy with me. I'm pretty the bars have a large percentage of lead, with a fair amount of tin, but the other metals I don't know, and I'd like to get exact percentages of each metal.

How likely is it that a scrap yard will scan a metal and provide a readout of the alloy for an occasional customer?

I meant to call them up today to see if they would do this, but I forgot and now they are closed.

I just want to know what kind of success people have in doing that at a scrap yard, and if there is any other places I might try that would do this for me. Maybe any tips in convincing them to do it for me. It would be nice if those things werent $10k+

bangerjim
05-28-2015, 07:17 PM
Most XFR's are more like $40K.

They should be glad to do business with you. Tell them you have a bunch of bars of the stuff you are bringing in that you want to sell and need to know what is in them.

I never leave a scrap yard with bars or hunks of "lead" unless they give me a reading! Takes 10 seconds. Lead sheet forms are pretty much pure....no need for a shoot.

I have found almost every conceivable shape and form of "lead" and without knowing the EXACT %, I would be totally out of luck using the alloy calc sheet on here!

banger

62chevy
05-28-2015, 07:54 PM
Rotometals will scan it for 50 bucks but you have to send it to them.

littlejack
05-29-2015, 05:22 PM
I have brought coins that I have cast from different items (pewter and radiator shop drippings) to the local scrap yard, and had no trouble getting them scanned. I do very little business with them, but the ladies there are glad to help with a smile and a sweet southern accent.
Ask, the worst that can happen is that they say, NO.
Jack

konsole
05-29-2015, 05:27 PM
well they did and the bars ended up being 80%+ lead and the rest shared between antimony and tin.

The bars are for sale on the S&S section if anyone is interested.