PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only 1......

Harter66
05-28-2015, 03:56 PM
I have spent a substantial part of 3 days reading through a sticky thread ,some 2500 post +- with redirects and other threads.
What I'm looking for isn't all that hard to do but in 2200 posts directly in the thread less than 10 posts had the other important information I was after .

Am I the only guy that works up a load with a ladder and Chrony and a target all at 1 time or am I really such a tightwad ,cheapskate, spend thrift, mizer that that squeak I hear is my hip pocket and not my leather boot like I've thought all this time?

Pardon my rant and frustration but dawn gone it that's a whole lotta reading for this kinda worked sorta and it mostly but only when it feels like it.........

Back to the other 2500 Posts just in case there's some of what I'm after in there.

Artful
05-28-2015, 05:08 PM
No, your not the only one, but I only do it on my long distance rifle and mainly J-words.

for pistols I do the following
1. put up a standard bullseye target
2. on top of the first (bottom) bullseye target place another 2 bullseye targets so you have 3 in a stack

Now shoot five rounds and replace the top target (this is your first five shot group)
Now shoot five more rounds and replace the top two targets (this is your 2nd 5 shot target and first 10 shot target)

Now repeat the above two steps 4 more times (total of 50 rounds) then replace the bottom target.

From this single box of ammo you get
10 of the five shot groups
5 of the ten shot groups
1 50 round group - this will help you analyse your load quite well.

runfiverun
05-28-2015, 05:13 PM
you aren't reading the lube quest thread are you?
if so,, I got more re-directs and such saved on my home computer and probably in some old P.M.'s from Felix and a few others.
I could keep you up until 3 a.m. for another year or so...

M-Tecs
05-28-2015, 05:34 PM
I Am I the only guy that works up a load with a ladder and Chrony and a target all at 1 time.

Not so much here. The Audette Ladder Test is used widely by the precision rifle/long range shooters.

For those not familar with ladder testing.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2012/07/13/creighton-audette-ladder-testing/

https://precisionrifle.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/incremental-load-development-method.pdf

You will find it is used here more

http://www.accurateshooter.com/

http://benchrest.com/forum.php

Harter66
05-28-2015, 05:38 PM
No not the lube thread ,I fixed Darrs to get by in the high dessert it's fine except for that a 29 inch bbl. 1 of the coating threads . Interestingly at about page 125-6 there is a flurry of 22 CF data ,which is what I'm after . But that was after I put this up........

gwpercle
05-28-2015, 05:52 PM
What are you looking for ? Ask a question around here and somebody or two will usuallyhave answers.
I work up loads with a gun and targets. Don't have a chrony and mount my target low enough so I don't need a ladder. Old school reloader, we had to get by without chronies.

dtknowles
05-28-2015, 06:55 PM
No, your not the only one, but I only do it on my long distance rifle and mainly J-words.

for pistols I do the following
1. put up a standard bullseye target
2. on top of the first (bottom) bullseye target place another 2 bullseye targets so you have 3 in a stack

Now shoot five rounds and replace the top target (this is your first five shot group)
Now shoot five more rounds and replace the top two targets (this is your 2nd 5 shot target and first 10 shot target)

Now repeat the above two steps 4 more times (total of 50 rounds) then replace the bottom target.

From this single box of ammo you get
10 of the five shot groups
5 of the ten shot groups
1 50 round group - this will help you analyse your load quite well.

So you used 16 targets and had to change targets ten times. At the range I use it is 20 to 30 minutes between cold range breaks to check targets so you technique would take 4 to 5 hours.

I normally only shoot 25 rounds to check a load so I set out 5 targets and shoot 5 ea. 5 shot groups but you could put out 10 targets if you were going to shoot 10 ea. 5 shot groups. After I get home I transfer my 5 target points of impact onto a sheet of white paper. I can make 10 ea. 10 shot groups out of 5 ea. 5 shot groups , groups 1 & 2, 1 & 3, 1 & 4, 1 & 5, 2 & 3, 2 & 4, 2 & 5, 3 & 4, 3 & 5, and 4 & 5. I usually do the 25 shot group as well for the overall extreme spread. It is typical that just a couple shots define the spread of a lot the groups. The 25 shot group is often the same size as the worst 10 shot group.

Tim

Artful
05-28-2015, 07:16 PM
So you used 16 targets and had to change targets ten times. At the range I use it is 20 to 30 minutes between cold range breaks to check targets so you technique would take 4 to 5 hours.

I normally only shoot 25 rounds to check a load so I set out 5 targets and shoot 5 ea. 5 shot groups but you could put out 10 targets if you were going to shoot 10 ea. 5 shot groups. After I get home I transfer my 5 target points of impact onto a sheet of white paper. I can make 10 ea. 10 shot groups out of 5 ea. 5 shot groups , groups 1 & 2, 1 & 3, 1 & 4, 1 & 5, 2 & 3, 2 & 4, 2 & 5, 3 & 4, 3 & 5, and 4 & 5. I usually do the 25 shot group as well for the overall extreme spread. It is typical that just a couple shots define the spread of a lot the groups. The 25 shot group is often the same size as the worst 10 shot group.

Tim

My advantage of shooting out in the desert is no one to keep me from changing my targets.
So usually done in 20 min or under - and I walk slow these days.

And I have done a similar style with a box of 20 rounds of factory rifle
But you wouldn't like that I'm sure.

Of course we are both using old school -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbQ07Eh6lrY

Blammer
05-28-2015, 07:50 PM
I just put out clay pigeons, if it takes me 10 shots to hit one, I know that load is not a good one. :)

Harter66
05-28-2015, 08:01 PM
Oh no I'm not getting the we answered that 42 times in the 6000 post sticky rant. I may ask after I fully explore the train wreck .

M-Tecs
05-28-2015, 09:51 PM
Color me silly. You are talking about using a ladder to hold the chrono not ladder testing.

Harter66
05-28-2015, 10:40 PM
No :) I meant progressivly higher charges.

Artful
05-28-2015, 11:39 PM
Color me silly. You are talking about using a ladder to hold the chrono not ladder testing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEdZ7k_6-cE

M-Tecs
05-28-2015, 11:45 PM
No :) I meant progressivly higher charges.

OK than I got it correct with the first reply so disregard the second one. Either way I look silly!!!!!!!

Harter66
05-29-2015, 10:22 AM
Artful ,
nice video. I have shot many ladder tests in as many as 10/5s per book window depending on the window . I have seen a group be 12,10,9,4 then 5 touching and back to 4 inches ,in half gr steps in 308 and 06' and .2 steps in several pistols.

Artful
05-29-2015, 09:26 PM
I remember one test I did - it was a known good load in 44 mag - but I was having trouble getting primers (Clinton administration) - so I loaded 100 round with one primer then would have to switch to a different primer. Anyway - it was amazing how much difference in the group sizes there was. The reason this hobby is so entertaining is that it can be remarkably rewarding once you figure all the components to get the results you want.

It also taught me to think ahead and buy all my components in bulk!