PDA

View Full Version : Deer wasting disease found in michigan

michiganmike
05-27-2015, 10:37 PM
On my way to work this A.M. I listened to a local talk show host in discussion with a Michigan DNR agent. A deer was found (dead I presume) that tested positive for wasting disease (Chronic Wasting Disease or CDW). What is remarkable is that it was found in Meridian Township, an upscale suburb of Lansing, our capital city.

Some in the township have a rather elevated opinion of themselves. For example, every other township is just plain "Clinton Township" or Onondaga Township. Meridian's official name is "The Charter Township of Meridian." My wife writes our property tax checks out to "Mer. Twp." as her protest.

But back to the story. This is the first incidence of wasting disease among lower Michigan in decades. The DNR rep was at a loss to explain how the deer acquired the terrible disease. And it has a terrible effect on deer. I searched and found some photos. But they were too much to look at and didn't post.

There will be some intense study going on, as well as some controlled kills to halt its spread. Apparently the heightened study and control may go on for years.The agent said there is no known spread of the disease from deer to humans. But he went on to say that this notice will keep some hunters out of the woods this fall. I will still be out there.

MichiganMike

fatnhappy
05-27-2015, 11:31 PM
that's terrible news. Thanks for posting it.

blaser.306
05-27-2015, 11:42 PM
We had a run of CWD here in southern Saskatchewan about 10 years ago, And same story . There was a controlled "cull " where all animals taken for the cronic wasting hunt were to have the heads turned in for testing ( before any meat from them was consumed ) As mentioned there is no cross infection known between deer and humans. there were thousands and thousands of eads turned in and only a very small number tested positive .

dragonrider
05-28-2015, 01:18 AM
Are there any obvious visual indications of this disease, I see a lot of deer around here, mostly in the wood behind the house, maybe it is not even around here, I don't know as I have never even heard of it.

Duckiller
05-28-2015, 02:29 AM
Dragon the deer look and act sick. Tend to behave like tame animals. Call your fish and game dept if you see any acting strange. I believe the MI deer was reported to the MI DNR and they put it down and took samples to test. No known transmittal of disease from deer to humans but everyone recommends that you do not eat contaminated venison. Not the end of the world but it is something that is not needed in a wild game herd. MI DNR has a plan to control CWD . Time will tell just how effective it is and if citizens cooperate in controlling CWD.

nagantguy
05-28-2015, 08:42 AM
I heard the same show, and talk of unlimited doe tags as one option, years ago we killed a small buck "up north" near grayling that was verybskninny and stumbling around cwd was a fear then as it was found in the U.P. we called the DNR theybtooknthe deer and we never heard anything from them.

white eagle
05-28-2015, 09:58 AM
had the same problem
all the same procedures,baiting controlled kills,testing,doe tags and eradication zones
liberal hunting seasons.Guess what?Still here.Once you see it you can be assured it is spread further than one animal.

Rick Hodges
05-28-2015, 03:27 PM
It has existed in the mule/whitetail deer of Montana, Colorado, Wyoming for over 50 yrs. They never tried to kill every deer in an area to control it. Last I checked there was pretty fair hunting in all of those states.

NSB
05-28-2015, 04:15 PM
If CWD can be spread from cows to humans, you're betting your life it can't be spread from deer to humans. I read an article a couple of years ago that said two people died in Michigan as a result of eating venison with CWD. I'll see if I can find it and post it.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/10/6/03-1082_article

Not to be alarmed, just aware. The jury is still out on this one.

Hardcast416taylor
05-28-2015, 04:37 PM
I thought there was a case of CWD a few years back in a shooting preserve up state. Seems the affected deer was a transplant from a Western state, never heard much after that about doing anything for containment other that killing all animals on the preserve.Robert

Duckiller
05-28-2015, 04:50 PM
Cows don't get CWD, they get Mad Cow disease. It is similar to CWD and that is why it is recommended that you don't eat venison from a deer with CWD. Mad Cow is why you can't or have difficulty buying cow brains at your local butcher shop.

Rick Hodges
05-28-2015, 08:23 PM
Like I said CWD has been in deer since before it was discovered out west...it hasn't killed anyone nor wiped out the deer herd. Last I heard people still eat deer in those states and don't grow two heads nor wander around aimlessly....well, maybe except for those up around Kalispell way. :kidding:

As I understand it, the disease is not apparent until the deer are three or more years old. They can carry it with no signs of infection until then.

madsenshooter
05-31-2015, 12:58 PM
I believe, perhaps erroneously, it's just a theory of mine based on firsthand experience, that CWD is associated with helminthic infection. ODNR has a private herd they're going to kill and I've been in touch with their biologist. Maybe he can discover something. For more info, see my wear gloves when skinning game post or just check out this link. https://melittology.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/parasitology-2012-mcfrederick.pdf No replies from the "I been skinning deer barehanded 50yrs" crowd needed. One can have these things and not know it, until they're ready to take over!

Hardcast416taylor
05-31-2015, 02:51 PM
I believe, perhaps erroneously, it's just a theory of mine based on firsthand experience, that CWD is associated with helminthic infection. ODNR has a private herd they're going to kill and I've been in touch with their biologist. Maybe he can discover something. For more info, see my wear gloves when skinning game post or just check out this link. https://melittology.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/parasitology-2012-mcfrederick.pdf No replies from the "I been skinning deer barehanded 50yrs" crowd needed. One can have these things and not know it, until they're ready to take over!

I agree with you 100% on wearing protective gloves when gutting and skinning, even if you are from Ohio!Robert

luvtn
05-31-2015, 10:48 PM
[QUOTE=madsenshooter;3267205]I believe, perhaps erroneously, it's just a theory of mine based on firsthand experience, that CWD is associated with helminthic infection. ODNR has a private herd they're going to kill and I've been in touch with their biologist. Maybe he can discover something. For more info, see my wear gloves when skinning game post or just check out this link. https://melittology.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/parasitology-2012-mcfrederick.pdf No replies from the "I been skinning deer barehanded 50yrs" crowd needed. One can have these things and not know it, until they're ready to take over![/QUOTE

yes, Madsenshooter you are in error. A short visit to google is helpful. Not every disease is Onchera related.
http://www.cdc.gov/prions/cwd/index.html
helminths are worms, and filaria is a nematode. FWIW. CWD is caused by prions.
luvtn

madsenshooter
06-01-2015, 12:54 AM
And the vermin leave little tracks and tunnels throughout you, they make them out of something. They need such things cause they don't have the time or wish to put out the effort to push your cells and such out of the way when they wish to migrate up to await air transport. They make things inside you to their liking. They require sustenance while living in you, and you're it! Many diseases are associated with them, including cancer. How far away from a prion is cancer? I saw mad cow disease before it was known, in the 70s in Georgia. Cattle are also a reservoir for helminths. If you read the paper, they postulate that when the deer population was lower, the newly discovered species lived in cattle.

I don't need your input, I was a biology major, I don't need google, I can read and understand the big words in research papers, some pretty obscure. You ought to go back and take the clutter you left in my post out. By the way, I am still getting better taking herbals that are primarily antihelmintic. Speaking of such things, even squirrels and other rodents have microfilaria producing helminths in them, much, much smaller than the deer worms. Their favorite haunt is in the pleural cavity, where I have had my fingers many times. Like I said, for the most part, you wouldn't even know you gots em. I sure didn't, until I accidentally killed a multitude of the microfilaria. Can you guarantee that there is no association? I put out a theory, and said that's what it was, it is a possibility, like or not. Disprove it if you can. In the meantime, some biologists will be working in the other direction. Until you can disprove it, I'd appreciate it if you stay the heck away from my posts.

"As I understand it, the disease is not apparent until the deer are three or more years old. They can carry it with no signs of infection until then."

Coincidentally, the same is true of helminthic infection. Young ones are often without it, but older ones often have it. Now I'm not even going to look at this post again. Some people...

Here's a google search for you luvtn: https://www.google.com/search?q=parasites+cancer+link&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Boyscout
06-01-2015, 03:00 AM
It's a good thing Indiana is now allowing high fenced, penned-deer "hunting" for deer and the importation of infected deer for the rich boys to kill.

madsenshooter
06-01-2015, 12:56 PM
I have noted here in Upper Appalachia, that the are deer eating plants that they didn't used to, primarily wild mints, which have an antihelmintic action, especially when combined with plants high in tannins. Put them in a pen and feed them whatever ain't natural, and they can't self medicate. So those fenced lots become full of CWD and coincidently, helminths. The farm that ODNR has to clean out for CWD is near Dayton. Oops, I looked at the post again!

luvtn
06-01-2015, 10:58 PM
And the vermin leave little tracks and tunnels throughout you, they make them out of something. They need such things cause they don't have the time or wish to put out the effort to push your cells and such out of the way when they wish to migrate up to await air transport. They make things inside you to their liking. They require sustenance while living in you, and you're it! Many diseases are associated with them, including cancer. How far away from a prion is cancer? I saw mad cow disease before it was known, in the 70s in Georgia. Cattle are also a reservoir for helminths. If you read the paper, they postulate that when the deer population was lower, the newly discovered species lived in cattle.

I don't need your input, I was a biology major, I don't need google, I can read and understand the big words in research papers, some pretty obscure. You ought to go back and take the clutter you left in my post out. By the way, I am still getting better taking herbals that are primarily antihelmintic. Speaking of such things, even squirrels and other rodents have microfilaria producing helminths in them, much, much smaller than the deer worms. Their favorite haunt is in the pleural cavity, where I have had my fingers many times. Like I said, for the most part, you wouldn't even know you gots em. I sure didn't, until I accidentally killed a multitude of the microfilaria. Can you guarantee that there is no association? I put out a theory, and said that's what it was, it is a possibility, like or not. Disprove it if you can. In the meantime, some biologists will be working in the other direction. Until you can disprove it, I'd appreciate it if you stay the heck away from my posts.

"As I understand it, the disease is not apparent until the deer are three or more years old. They can carry it with no signs of infection until then."

Coincidentally, the same is true of helminthic infection. Young ones are often without it, but older ones often have it. Now I'm not even going to look at this post again. Some people...

Here's a google search for you luvtn: https://www.google.com/search?q=parasites+cancer+link&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I have read the link you provided. NOTHING CONCLUSIVE! Full of maybes and possibilities. Sort of like which came first. The cancer or the parasite? Of course everything we read on the Internet is true- right? ( I am being facetious). Good luck
luvtn

Firebricker
06-02-2015, 12:32 PM
I'm one of those guys who have never wore glove while gutting or skinning deer and have been for years. After reading and looking into this I think it is time to change and start wearing gloves. I just never put much thought into it before but I see no downside to a little extra caution. FB

44man
06-09-2015, 01:36 PM
Prions can't be killed by any means. The danger is from spinal cords and brains of the animal. It is not in the meat. CWD is in a few counties of WV too and you can't transport meat out unless boned out with no spine contents or brains. You can't catch it by touch.
Long ago all the deer I shot in PA had leg worms, looked like mono filament fishing line all though in between connective tissue, not in the meat. Deer picked it up feeding where other deer pooped. I cleaned them out when boning and cooking or freezing killed them. Seen it in raccoons too.
CWD is not a parasite, It is an alteration of a protein. How it is passed from deer to deer is not known. With cows it was from feed made from other cows added to food.
Have to worry about our animals fed with by products. All the scrap left over to feed our dogs and cats. Brains, bones and rotten meat from dead animals. Those protein companies that pick up dead animals do enormous harm.
I can't see you catching anything from gutting a deer.
Now a virus is different as is a bacterium. I would worry about a tick bite more then cutting a deer. New virus carried by ticks just showed up. Related to Lyme disease.

44man
06-09-2015, 01:52 PM
Bears can get the same parasites as pigs, Trichinoma or something and is why meat should be be cooked to done. Then there was rabbit fever and a bunny with liver spots was bad. You might catch it by gutting a bunny. It was said cold weather killed off sick rabbits. Squirrels got warbles in warm weather.