PDA

View Full Version : 20# of pure pot on the way (4 5lb ingots)

ohland
05-27-2015, 04:59 PM
Oops, my keyboard made some errors...

Tired of beating my head trying to use 19+ BHN in a 43 Spanish. Dropped hammer on (4) 5lb ingots at 9.99 each. USPS workers are gonna pump some iron, er, lead. If this works well enough, I might want to get a better price through a bigger buy.

In order to drop @20 lbs of 19 BHN down to @10 BHN, how much WW should I decant from my pot, and how much pure lead do I need to add?

scottfire1957
05-27-2015, 06:18 PM
Hmmm. I think there is a calculator on this site to figure that very thing. Hint: It' a sticky!

Beagle333
05-27-2015, 06:21 PM
And it's fun to use too. I play with it all the time. I always use the same end product, but I use several different ingredients to get there. (whatever I find in the S&S forum!) 8-)

country gent
05-27-2015, 06:32 PM
20-1 is pretty much 10 bhn add a pound of tin and go.

Seeker
05-27-2015, 06:40 PM
This was showed to me by one of these noble members so I'll do you the favor.
Lead Alloy Calculators 070612.zip (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45784&d=1341560870)

scottfire1957
05-27-2015, 07:35 PM
Lead Alloy Calculators 070612.zip (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45784&d=1341560870)

I had something all typed up and decided to go for brevity. He's got four years and 1500+ posts on this site. He's not new. He can find it.

Yodogsandman
05-27-2015, 08:05 PM
Oops, my keyboard made some errors...

Tired of beating my head trying to use 19+ BHN in a 43 Spanish. Dropped hammer on (4) 5lb ingots at 9.99 each. USPS workers are gonna pump some iron, er, lead. If this works well enough, I might want to get a better price through a bigger buy.

In order to drop @20 lbs of 19+ BHN down to @10 BHN, how much WW should I decant from my pot, and how much pure lead do I need to add?

Is your 19 BHN alloy from using linotype or from water dropping or heat treating?

Yodogsandman
05-27-2015, 08:18 PM
I had something all typed up and decided to go for brevity. He's got four years and 1500+ posts on this site. He's not new. He can find it.

You've been here just a short time and I notice that almost all of your posts are to belittle or harass other members with valid questions and concerns. Do you have anything constructive to contribute? Is this how you get your jollies?

ohland
05-27-2015, 08:31 PM
Is your 19 BHN alloy from using linotype or from water dropping or heat treating?

WW that is water dropped. A few ounces of tin to help mould fill. Looking at the RCBS 44-370, it has very good fill-out, no wrinkles or inclusions. It is just too hard to size at .446, and I'd take it that it would not bump up very well.

No heat treat. I have a sneaky suspicion that there would be a broomstick or rolling pin in the very near future if I tried to HT in the oven...

Odd, looking at the excel, it says "For example, WW alloy can go from 12 up to 18."

Can anyone confirm that water drop does that? I thought water drop didn't do too much, compared to heat treat...

ohland
05-27-2015, 08:33 PM

Saw it, in this age of Java and all, is there is no web based form?

So who wants to verify this has no malware macros?

I live for the edge... Me and Triple X....

Otay, panky, WW is guestimated at 11.5 BHN, which if by itself, might be soft enough without water drop.

Hmm, 15 lbs pure lead and 5lbs WW is 9.2 BHN

Earlier this evening, I sent a note to Behr Metals in Rockford, they claim they have
99%+ Lead Ingot
6/2 Bullet Alloy
8/2 Bullet Alloy
20:1 Cowboy Lead
Antimonial (Hard) Lead

If I can score on some 20:1, I can use WW to add some backbone if needed. A nice 30 minute drive under normal circumstances, but WI is expanding our intersection and diddling about with making a six lane from the IL state line, I don't know how far north. I can insinuate, penetrate, operate, and extirpate in under an hour and a half. But I want to czech out the Behr Den... Maybe swing by if Aunt Mary's Kitchen is still open.

scottfire1957
05-27-2015, 08:44 PM
Actually, no. I've read and learned so much in such a short time on this site, and it is SO EASY!

There is at least one stickie about why people won't do well here, and the jist is they don't bother to read or search. A STICKIE!

ALLOY CALCULATOR. How difficult is that?

I posted about, then apologized, for saying folks are simply too lazy. I may have to rethink that apology. This OP has 1500+posts, in mutiple forums. 4 years. Surely he can find a stickie.

Or, am I wrong?

Yodogsandman
05-27-2015, 08:59 PM
WW that is water dropped. A few ounces of tin to help mould fill. Looking at the RCBS 44-370, it has very good fill-out, no wrinkles or inclusions. It is just too hard to size at .446, and I'd take it that it would not bump up very well.

No heat treat. I have a sneaky suspicion that there would be a broomstick or rolling pin in the very near future if I tried to HT in the oven...

Odd, looking at the excel, it says "For example, WW alloy can go from 12 up to 18."

Can anyone confirm that water drop does that? I thought water drop didn't do too much, compared to heat treat...

My COWW's run 11 to 12 BHN. I've never water dropped but, would expect about what you're getting for BHN. So, how fast do you want to run your boolits at?

scottfire1957
05-27-2015, 09:09 PM
Saw it, in this age of Java and all, is there is no web based form?

So who wants to verify this has no malware macros?

I live for the edge... Me and Triple X....

Otay, panky, WW is guestimated at 11.5 BHN, which if by itself, might be soft enough without water drop.

Hmm, 15 lbs pure lead and 5lbs WW is 9.2 BHN

Earlier this evening, I sent a note to Behr Metals in Rockford, they claim they have
99%+ Lead Ingot
6/2 Bullet Alloy
8/2 Bullet Alloy
20:1 Cowboy Lead
Antimonial (Hard) Lead

If I can score on some 20:1, I can use WW to add some backbone if needed. A nice 30 minute drive under normal circumstances, but WI is expanding our intersection and diddling about with making a six lane from the IL state line, I don't know how far north. I can insinuate, penetrate, operate, and extirpate in under an hour and a half. But I want to czech out the Behr Den... Maybe swing by if Aunt Mary's Kitchen is still open.

Sorry, but people all over this site use the calculator. You could search the site for problems with it but it was created by a site member of good standing. I have not seen one review that said anything about anything "bad" about the calculator.

And "Otay, 'Panky!" is good! Eddie Murphy!

Yodogsandman
05-27-2015, 09:09 PM
Actually, no. I've read and learned so much in such a short time on this site, and it is SO EASY!

There is at least one stickie about why people won't do well here, and the jist is they don't bother to read or search. A STICKIE!

ALLOY CALCULATOR. How difficult is that?

I posted about, then apologized, for saying folks are simply too lazy. I may have to rethink that apology. This OP has 1500+posts, in mutiple forums. 4 years. Surely he can find a stickie.

Or, am I wrong?

No, you're not wrong...you're outright disrespectful and rude. The OP could be experiencing computer glitches with the calculators, I know I have. Some of us older guys didn't grow up using computers and it's a second language for us. Navigating a calculator can be daunting.

ohland
05-27-2015, 09:12 PM
My COWW's run 11 to 12 BHN. I've never water dropped but, would expect about what you're getting for BHN. So, how fast do you want to run your boolits at?

Well, this slow stuff is sorta new to me, I cast for 357 Max (heavenly RCBS 357-180-SIL!!!), 7-30, 6.8 SPC, and some of the very shapely RCBS 32-170-FN (you know you want some...). Old retrobate has been having a beech of a time with his 32-40, perhaps WW dropped onto a towel will give me soft boolits... The WW, water drop boolits I've been casting for his 32-40 have been tipping with what I consider moderate loads (sized to .321, .323, and now .322)... OR has reduced his loads, and the boolits are mostly going through straight, but they are not happy.

4227, been lowering under 14 grains, sized to .322, GC. These boolits will be well under 1400 fps.

43 Spanish, they will be sized to @ .439 (when my H&I arrives), OR will be shooting black, I _assume_ this will be @ 1200fps... Dunno.

The 7-30 likes 285129, or was that 287448? over 8.5 gr Unique...

Yodogsandman
05-27-2015, 09:47 PM
Try an easy 50/50 mix. 50% COWW's+2% tin added to 50% pure lead. That should give you about 10 BHN with good mold fill out. An added bonus is that if you decide to water drop, you'll get about 14-16 BHN.

scottfire1957
05-27-2015, 09:50 PM
No, you're not wrong...you're outright disrespectful and rude. The OP could be experiencing computer glitches with the calculators, I know I have. Some of us older guys didn't grow up using computers and it's a second language for us. Navigating a calculator can be daunting.

Ok. Blunt, frank for sure. Can be construed as rude. OP asks a computer literate question, so I'm guessing he knows a thing or two.

scottfire1957
05-27-2015, 11:26 PM
Well, this slow stuff is sorta new to me, I cast for 357 Max (heavenly RCBS 357-180-SIL!!!), 7-30, 6.8 SPC, and some of the very shapely RCBS 32-170-FN (you know you want some...). Old retrobate has been having a beech of a time with his 32-40, perhaps WW dropped onto a towel will give me soft boolits... The WW, water drop boolits I've been casting for his 32-40 have been tipping with what I consider moderate loads (sized to .321, .323, and now .322)... OR has reduced his loads, and the boolits are mostly going through straight, but they are not happy.

4227, been lowering under 14 grains, sized to .322, GC. These boolits will be well under 1400 fps.

43 Spanish, they will be sized to @ .439 (when my H&I arrives), OR will be shooting black, I _assume_ this will be @ 1200fps... Dunno.

The 7-30 likes 285129, or was that 287448? over 8.5 gr Unique...

This OP has trolled you guys. He has massive knowledge. You fell for it.

Fishman
05-28-2015, 06:31 AM
Yes water dropping will harden up your ww bullets. I would try dropping them on a soft towel and see if you get success since you probably have a lot of that alloy.

Fishman
05-28-2015, 06:36 AM

I have had Scottfire1957 on Ignore since soon after he joined and for good reason. Judging by your response to him, he is still at it. With the ignore feature one never has to read someone's vitriol ever again.

RogerDat
05-28-2015, 08:16 AM
Nice thing about a free country. Can answer question if one wants, or not post any response at all. Offer an opinion or refrain. I guess not all moms made too much of a point of the "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all".

Considering the wide range of forums in this board and member interests it is entirely possible that one can spend a good amount of time, and have a significant post count without having knowledge of other areas. Until you find yourself trying something new. Like IDK, mixing alloys?

Considering my older brother when we were kids I have no idea what my mom thought I would have nice to say about him swiping my cookie. But I do know getting all cranky about it was not an option.

62chevy
05-28-2015, 02:19 PM
Nice thing about a free country. Can answer question if one wants, or not post any response at all. Offer an opinion or refrain. I guess not all moms made too much of a point of the "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all".

Considering the wide range of forums in this board and member interests it is entirely possible that one can spend a good amount of time, and have a significant post count without having knowledge of other areas. Until you find yourself trying something new. Like IDK, mixing alloys?

Considering my older brother when we were kids I have no idea what my mom thought I would have nice to say about him swiping my cookie. But I do know getting all cranky about it was not an option.

My Mother literally beat that into my head and it stuck but my sister never did get the message and to this day has a sharp tongue.

hutch18414
05-31-2015, 11:48 PM
One of the things I have always enjoyed about this site was how friendly everyone is like even when I asked
dumb questions about powder charges. I had no idea where to find data at that time. And I have spent many hours lurking and reading here since then. Just a few people with a bad attitude can ruin a good site. I hope it doesn't happen here.

62chevy
06-01-2015, 12:49 PM
One of the things I have always enjoyed about this site was how friendly everyone is like even when I asked
dumb questions about powder charges. I had no idea where to find data at that time. And I have spent many hours lurking and reading here since then. Just a few people with a bad attitude can ruin a good site. I hope it doesn't happen here.

Are you talking about the one that tell you read the stickies and Google is your friend and never add anything to the discussion? If so we have them pop up every now and then. It's kinda like playing whack a mole, every now and then they need to be put back in their little hole. But 99.999% of the time it's any easy place to learn stuff.

hutch18414
06-01-2015, 07:31 PM
Yep, you nailed it! I hardly ever post question because every time I look for answers someone has already had the same problem and posted the answer. But I would never berate or degrade some one for asking a question and furthering their understanding. And from not even knowing what load to use with various cast bullets to throwing every one of my first attempts back in the pot, I feel that I have become fairly proficient because of this site. But I never want to feel like I be dissed for asking a question here. I seriously need to post a super thanks for all I have learned here.
Are you talking about the one that tell you read the stickies and Google is your friend and never add anything to the discussion? If so we have them pop up every now and then. It's kinda like playing whack a mole, every now and then they need to be put back in their little hole. But 99.999% of the time it's any easy place to learn stuff.

62chevy
06-01-2015, 09:53 PM
Yep, you nailed it! I hardly ever post question because every time I look for answers someone has already had the same problem and posted the answer. But I would never berate or degrade some one for asking a question and furthering their understanding. And from not even knowing what load to use with various cast bullets to throwing every one of my first attempts back in the pot, I feel that I have become fairly proficient because of this site. But I never want to feel like I be dissed for asking a question here. I seriously need to post a super thanks for all I have learned here.

Learning on here is so easy for all types of people those that like to google and read the stickies like you and me and those that don't read the stickies or know how to use google. Most of my post have been like the one you quoted and a few asking questions. When I ask I always try to reference a stickie or thread if possible.