PDA

View Full Version : No place like home, no place like home... Lyman expander plug for 43 Spanish

ohland
05-27-2015, 04:21 PM
Just got off the phone from Lyman's Customer Service. The nice lady couldn't quickly come up with a suitable M-die expander plug for the .43 Spanish using a .439, .440, or .441 boolit. She did make a good effort, calling to check with someone else. She said they are reorganizing or sorting through the wharehouse, or storage, and she'll get back on if there is something suitable....

Not the nice lady's fault that the superior intellects of Lyman re-introduced a mould for the 43 Spanish, but don't have an identified neck expander plug for it.

Guesser
05-27-2015, 05:44 PM
I neck size using a carbide 44 magnum size die and then flare the case mouth just enough to give the bullet a good start then I seat the bullet where I want and close the flare in a separate operation. My Rolling Block seems to work well doing this. I use FFg and find that I never have a chambering problem this way. Tension seems to be just right.
This is using Bertram cases.

gloob
05-27-2015, 08:55 PM
expander plug for the .43 Spanish using a .439, .440, or .441 boolit.
You could order one of Lyman's larger rifle dies (or just the plug, if you already have the right size M die body). Chuck it in a drill, and work it down with sanding blocks and/or abrasive stones. I would aim for 439 diameter with a 444 flare.

Or for about 12.50 plus 3.00 shipping (last I checked), you can order a custom M die plug. Just provide the length of the expander section that is desired and the diameters of the expander and flare you want. Contact Buckshot.

GhostHawk
05-27-2015, 09:29 PM
Or order a Lee universal expander which comes with 2 "cones" a longer skinnier one for smaller rifles like .223 and 30 cal, and a larger blunter cone for larger cases.

gloob
05-28-2015, 12:45 AM
Flare die != expander. That thing is named incorrectly.

Guesser
05-28-2015, 09:24 AM
When I said "flare", that is exactly what I meant, I do not expand the neck, I could as I have a Lyman "M" die in my 43 Spanish die set. The way I do it is a system that has evolved over the years; I've been doing it this way for probably 12 years. It works and it is a flare, I could do it with a tubing flare tool if I so chose; I am repeating myself her but Flare-Flare-Flare!!!

ohland
05-28-2015, 09:46 AM
I have a Lyman "M" die in my 43 Spanish die set.

Ooh, do tell!

What is the Lyman # for the die set? [this _ASSUMES_ it is Lyman, if Lee, never mind...]

What is the marking on the M-die?

For super trivia round, what is the first diameter of the expander plug, what is the diameter of the second diameter, and lastly, how long is the first diameter, from tip of rounded nose up to the start of the second diameter?

ohland
05-28-2015, 09:50 AM
Or order a Lee universal expander

The old retrobate is using a Lee expander. It just doesn't seem as advanced as an M die.

Accept no substitute for holy joy!

GhostHawk
05-28-2015, 10:53 PM
I suspect it doesn't cost as much either! Not to mention one tool working for any caliber I need. Where I believe those M dies are caliber specific are they not?

Beer budget is fine if you really don't care for champagne.

Guesser
05-29-2015, 09:20 AM
The die set I have is mixed; RCBS sizer/decapper with Lyman seater and Lyman "M" die. The "M" die is marked 43R. Included was a gasket punch modified to cut card wads to fit the 43 Spanish. RCBS shell holder #22. Lee SH#17 won't fit Bertram or Bell case rims.

ohland
05-29-2015, 12:29 PM
The die set I have is mixed; RCBS sizer/decapper with Lyman seater and Lyman "M" die. The "M" die is marked 43R. Included was a gasket punch modified to cut card wads to fit the 43 Spanish. RCBS shell holder #22. Lee SH#17 won't fit Bertram or Bell case rims.

43R, thanks for the identification, Lyman sometimes doesn't seem to know what they made...

You are exactly right on the RCBS shellholder #22, it was made to fit the original .093 thick rims and has a lip thickness of .150". The Lee #17 will work with the reformed .348 Win brass.

Some folks have reported problems with the Lee #17 cracking during case reforming, supposedly the Lee #18 fixed that. I just bought the RCBS #22 and had done with it....

If the TV is broke, no beer in the fridge, and it's dark outside, could you measure the first and second steps on the plug?

Update: Talked to another customer support rep. Seems there's a buncha stuff in trailers, not organized or cataloged. 43R is not either cataloged now, or is available. I reminded her that if Lyman re-introduces a mould for a cartridge, they might need the correct M-die for it... Not her fault.

Now RCBS has a bit different view of product support. They may not have the TP or die on-hand, but they probably will make a run either on schedule, or when demand builds up...

If anyone with a 43 Spanish has time to burn, call Lyman Customer Service at 1-800-225-9626, press 4, and when you get a rep, ask for an expander stem for the 43R... They probably won't find 'em for a while, but maybe someone in the decision making level will have a vision of a matching neck expander for a mould they catalog... Rocket science...

Guesser
05-29-2015, 08:13 PM
The plug in the 43R "M" die measures .437/.441 using a Scheer-Tumico mechanical 0-1" micrometer