PDA

View Full Version : How to convert Pro Melt to "pull down to open" lever

Walter Laich
05-27-2015, 11:21 AM
Vaguely remember someone reversed the handle and used a small spring to change the direction of the handle when opening the valve.

Anyone have a link to that or have done it themselves?

thanks

Walter Laich
05-27-2015, 06:05 PM
Looks like I need to try this on my own.
Will need to switch the two vertical mounts for the handle
drill two new holes
put a spring under the flow adjustment screw--this spring will push the handle up and keep the pot closed
will take pictures when done
let the games begin!

kalison
05-27-2015, 06:13 PM
I'm very interested in your results!

Beagle333
05-27-2015, 06:24 PM
Cool! I have always used mine as a "lift to pour", so I'm used to it, but I'll be watching your results. I think it'd be cool to have a tap handle on the front that you pull toward yourself, like you were pouring a nice cold one too.

dragonrider
05-27-2015, 07:35 PM
Can you explain why you want to do this, will it be more efficient? The weight of the handle and the rod combine to keep the valve closed, why use a spring when gravity does the job very well? Still I look forward to your results.

VHoward
05-27-2015, 08:26 PM
http://www.magmaengineering.com/masterpot/ The Magma Master Pot works like this. You push down/in towards the pot to dispense the lead. Just peoples different preferences.

Walter Laich
05-27-2015, 08:52 PM
Can you explain why you want to do this, will it be more efficient? The weight of the handle and the rod combine to keep the valve closed, why use a spring when gravity does the job very well? Still I look forward to your results.
since my rotator cuff surgery shoulder gets tired. Pulling down, with gravity, may be easier. Starting work tomorrow as too hot, humid and too many mosquitos right now.

dragonrider
05-27-2015, 09:06 PM
"since my rotator cuff surgery shoulder gets tired."
OK, I know that feeling, I have been thinking of converting my Lee 20 lb pot to work like the RCBS.

bangerjim
05-27-2015, 09:59 PM
Pots are made to "pull to open" for a simple reason........SAFETY! Pulling down is a VERY dangerous set-up that could cause a shower of molten lead at an unexpected time!!!!!!!!!

Accidentally!!!!!!

User beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would never personally modify a pot to that action. And that is why I do not own one that does....no matter "the name" on it.

bangerjim

bhn22
05-27-2015, 10:28 PM
IIRC, you'll probably need to reverse the lever so that if comes off the opposite side it does now. The lever would attach to the stem on one end, and you'd likely need to drill a hole in the lever near the stems original position to function as the fulcrum, or pivot point. It should be doable with very little grief.

ffries61
05-27-2015, 10:36 PM
I think it would work just fine, I don't see any inherent danger in it, I'll bet RCBS designed it that because it was the simplest, cheapest way to do it.

Fred

Walter Laich
05-27-2015, 10:41 PM
IIRC, you'll probably need to reverse the lever so that if comes off the opposite side it does now. The lever would attach to the stem on one end, and you'd likely need to drill a hole in the lever near the stems original position to function as the fulcrum, or pivot point. It should be doable with very little grief.

If you reverse the round rod and the slotted fitting that has the flow adjustment screw you can still have it on the right side. I will have to drill two new holes and find a spring (in my spring drawer) but that should be it.

Walter Laich
05-27-2015, 10:43 PM
Pots are made to "pull to open" for a simple reason........SAFETY! Pulling down is a VERY dangerous set-up that could cause a shower of molten lead at an unexpected time!!!!!!!!!

Accidentally!!!!!!

User beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would never personally modify a pot to that action. And that is why I do not own one that does....no matter "the name" on it.

bangerjim

Appreciate your concern

Walter Laich
05-28-2015, 12:15 PM
decided to start a new thread on how to do this. that way title will be more accurate

here is the link: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?279193-Converting-RCBS-Pro-Melt-to-quot-pull-down-to-open-quot-operations&p=3263887#post3263887

bangerjim
05-28-2015, 02:22 PM
Appreciate your concern

No problem.

The "OSHA Safety Engineer" in my head always chimes in when looking at aspects of doing things....especially differently.

I guess that is why, after decades of design and engineering work in power/chemical/food/water/waste/industrial plants and using power saws/routers/shapers/drills/lathes/jointers and all things that go 'BANG", I still have all 10 fingers, 2 eyes, 2 ears, and all the normal body parts and functions I was born with!!!!!

Good luck on your quest. I will be interested as to what you come up with.

Banger

Walter Laich
05-28-2015, 03:35 PM
Banger,
got the other thread going, link is up in reply 14.
did add a caveat that the spring is very important in keeping the lead in the pot.

life is full of choices

Mk42gunner
05-28-2015, 11:27 PM
Hmm, I set my Promelt on the bench so the handle is about 4" behind the frame of my Rockchucker. I rest the heel of my hand on the press then it takes just a small amount of rotating my hand to operate the Promelt.

I did a poor job of describing the operation, but it works for me.

Robert

Walter Laich
05-29-2015, 11:12 AM
Actually I understand what you are describing.
whatever works for a person is a good thing

scb
05-30-2015, 12:33 PM
Banger,
got the other thread going, link is up in reply 14.
did add a caveat that the spring is very important in keeping the lead in the pot.

life is full of choices

I like the idea except for the spring. I my concern is spring failure. What I would do is extend that "arm" where the spring is attached and add some sort of weight. The day gravity fails we're all screwed.

bhn22
05-30-2015, 01:57 PM
If you reverse the round rod and the slotted fitting that has the flow adjustment screw you can still have it on the right side. I will have to drill two new holes and find a spring (in my spring drawer) but that should be it.

Do it the easy way then. See if I care! (harrumpf!)
:D

Walter Laich
05-30-2015, 05:27 PM
I like the idea except for the spring. I my concern is spring failure. What I would do is extend that "arm" where the spring is attached and add some sort of weight. The day gravity fails we're all screwed.

I understand that the bill to repeal gravity did not make it out of committee so we're safe till next session.
The idea about lengthening the rod on the left and hanging weight off of this is a winner too. For those who worry about spring failure that would be the way to go--good idea scb!