PDA

View Full Version : lee classic powder measure

kryogen
05-27-2015, 07:15 AM
Looks quite well built, is it top quality or are other brands still better?
Same seems to apply to the classic cast single stage ?

mdi
05-29-2015, 11:47 AM
Lee makes a few powder measures. Which one are you referring to? My Lee Perfect Powder Measure has worked as well as my C-H 502 with most powders. Never tried any of the "rotary/disk" type so I can't comment on those.

Lee's Classic Cast single stage press is a quality tool, it'll prolly outlast most reloaders that purchase one. I started with a Lee Loader, bought a Lee hand press (still have one),went to a Lee Challenger press, tried a Redding Boss (liked it), sold everything in a messy divorce, bought a used C-H single stage (huge cast iron thing), obtained another Lee hand press, bought a Lee turret. I use Lee dies and assorted tools, and even though my bench is multi-colored (Lee, RCBS, Redding, Lyman, Pacific, and others I forget right now) and in reality, I think Lee tools will prolly last as long as most folks reload. Of course there are some Lee duds, but not any more than most other manufacturers...

kryogen
05-31-2015, 08:18 PM
which one? well, the classic powder measure.... just lile the title says?
http://leeprecision.com/classic-powder-measure.html

Bzcraig
05-31-2015, 11:16 PM
Haven't bought one yet but it's on the list and getting close to the top.

gtgeorge
06-01-2015, 05:28 AM
I bought one last week. Running the first bottle of powder didn't make it before rollong the wiper out of the slot somehow. Packet it back in and working great 95% of the time but get a catch and then it throws off and is trying to roll the wiper again. I will disassemble again and inspect to see why and call Lee today if I can find some extra time. It seems well made but am not impressed with that really soft wiper that feels like a soft silicone.

ukrifleman
06-01-2015, 02:43 PM
I have a shooting buddy that purchased a Lee Classic powder measure and said it was very accurate and consistent, just as good as his Lee perfect powder measure! (Must be a lesson in there somewhere)

ukrifleman.

gtgeorge
06-01-2015, 03:29 PM
Lee is sending out a new wiper to try although give me the option to send it back in if it doesn't work out. The unit appears well made other than the soft wiper. Hope that takes care of it as it was dead on when it works.

kryogen
06-07-2015, 11:19 AM
Lee is sending out a new wiper to try although give me the option to send it back in if it doesn't work out. The unit appears well made other than the soft wiper. Hope that takes care of it as it was dead on when it works.

oh god another lee product that is supposed to work but does not. Glad you caught that before I bought one.

So what's the best measure money can buy if the lee one is fail?

r1kk1
06-07-2015, 11:34 AM
So what's the best measure money can buy if the lee one is fail?

Depends on what you want. I like QM and Chargemaster. Neither are cheap.

Both go with me in the RV when traveling.

Take care

r1kk1

jmort
06-07-2015, 11:35 AM
For sure this measure works very well. Member posted test results that prove the point. Lee uses a soft wiper to avoid powder cutting. I have a Redding 3 and a Uniflow and the Classic measure. They all work well.

blikseme300
06-07-2015, 12:06 PM
No matter the quality of the powder measure some powders don't just meter well by volume. Lee bashing typically occurs when improper use is attempted or unreasonable expectations are unmet.

The soft wiper is probably similar to what is used in the Auto Disk measures and these work well if the powder does not resemble logs. Ball and short cut extruded work well in all volume measures so I stick to that when possible. I don't have a current need for a new measure but the Lee does look attractive and the price point is reasonable.

blikseme300
06-07-2015, 12:10 PM

What I found with new Auto Disk measures is that an application of graphite to the area the wiper touches works wonders. The wiper is probably grabbing and that is why it rolled the wiper out. Once the contact area is lubed by the graphite it should not need any more as the graphite coating of powder should keep things running smooth.

1_Ogre
06-07-2015, 12:45 PM
Ya can't go wrong with RCBS, I've had one for decades and it's still throwin accurate charges every time.

kryogen
06-07-2015, 06:13 PM
I had a chargemaster and sold it.
Takes too long. I can throw and trickle with more precision on a gempro, faster than the charge master could.

r1kk1
06-07-2015, 10:14 PM
I had a chargemaster and sold it.
Takes too long. I can throw and trickle with more precision on a gempro, faster than the charge master could.

Then you have a powder measure that works.

Take care

r1kk1

Vinne
06-07-2015, 11:21 PM
which one? well, the classic powder measure.... just lile the title says?
http://leeprecision.com/classic-powder-measure.html

Works great for rifle loads. Very close on every throw but not good for light pistol loads. Use the Lee Pro Auto disk powder measure for your pistol reloading. It is easy to swap disk and had a powder shut-off which is nice.

daboone
06-07-2015, 11:34 PM
Take a look here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?278277-Best-Powder-Measure-for-Unique-Red-Dot/page2 post #25

jmort
06-07-2015, 11:37 PM
And just wait until they get the quick change drums out. A serious home run by Lee Precision

Quick Change Drums (available mid-2015)One of the nicest features is the ability to use the new Lee standard quick-change drums (product # 90453). These low cost drums can be preset to your favorite charge and swapped out in seconds.

Elkins45
08-15-2015, 11:11 AM
I would love to see someone do a consistency test with some of the really hard to meter powders. 800-X is the one that first comes to mind. Results I have seen posted with 2400 and Unique look excellent, but 800-X is in a (bad) class of its own when it comes to poor metering.

daboone
08-15-2015, 02:15 PM
I would love to see someone do a consistency test with some of the really hard to meter powders. 800-X is the one that first comes to mind. Results I have seen posted with 2400 and Unique look excellent, but 800-X is in a (bad) class of its own when it comes to poor metering.

IMR4350 with the Lee Classic PM micrometer set at 3cc

1- 34.4gr
2- 34.5gr
3- 34.7gr
4- 34.4gr
5- 34.2gr
6- 34.2gr
7- 34.4gr
8- 34.5gr
9- 34.4gr
10- 34.2gr

dilly
08-15-2015, 02:23 PM
When you told me about the quick change drums, I was pretty interested. However, it turns out that the Hornady metering inserts can be quick changed and are actually a little cheaper than Lee. Who would've thought?

michiganmike
02-03-2016, 03:10 PM
I recently bought the Lee Classic Powder Measure and am well pleased with it. No problems with the soft wiper referred to elsewhere in this thread. It operates very smoothly. And I also get very consistent, accurate weights, similar to those cited by daboone above.

Very small, fine powders such as Hodgon BLC (2) and H322 have posed a problem. This was caused in part by user error: I was not be tightening up the drum enough. These fine powders get hung up in the groove that on the outer circumference of the conical drum. But tightening up the drum in turn causes harder operation.

Also, the throat below the neck into which the Lee powder canister goes is not polished. It feels uneven or slightly rough to the touch. This appears to be part of the cast iron casting. IMO, Lee should polish this throat area.

The powders I named above get hung up in the throat area. I have to use an old toothbrush to get them to dislodge. The air is dry here and static electricity may be the culprit.

Finally, all of the Lee products I have purchased have been a good investment. And I have a high opinion of what Lee offers. My little Lee Perfect Powder Measure has performed flawlessly for me. I get very good results with the three Lee moulds I own. I have an RCBS mould that I am also pleased with, as well as a Lyman. I purchased these only because Lee did not make what I was looking for. Finally, Lee's 2nd edition reloading manual is my go to reference.

I cast for my 7mm-08,Federal 338 and 12 ga. Lyman sabot slugs. I cast as needed. The Lee reloading tools (priming tool, turret press, 10 lb bottom pour pot, etc.) will likely still be doing yeoman's work long after I am gone.

Were I casting and reloading hundreds or thousands of bullets as someone like a competition shooter does, I would likely invest in equipment that got the job done faster.

That said, if it were not for the equipment Lee makes it would have taken me a lot longer and cost me more to enjoy this wonderful hobby.

MichiganMike

flashhole
02-04-2016, 07:18 PM
I like the Lee Classic Cast better than my Redding 3BR. I like the Lee Auto Drum better than both of those.