PDA

View Full Version : Star Lubrisizer Question

standles
03-19-2008, 03:36 PM
Ok guys....

These recent threads have got me rethinking the star angle. My one unanswered question is do I have to get a specific lube die for each bullet I want to run though? For example... I have a 38 cal RN 1 groove but also have WC with 3 grooves and TC with 2 groves. All can be sized to .358 but because of the different lube groove configs do I need to get seperate dies for each?

That could get real expensive real quick.

I want to move to a star for the harder lubed pistol and rifle bullets and relegate my lyman 450 to the muzzle loader stuff I do.

Steven

HeavyMetal
03-19-2008, 03:51 PM
The star dies come with three rows of four holes. To set up the unit you plug the holes not in alignment with your lube grove and carry on.

Because you are going to do several different designs you can change the shot in the die each time you change bullets( a pain if you only cast a 100 or so at a time) or purchase a second die and set it up for a specific lube grove count.

Once you get the die set up and you adjust your ram to a specific depth to get the lube grove lined up just write them down so you can change back and forth without a lot of hassle no matteer which way you decide to go.

By the way have you seen freakshows sticky with the star in use? Neat video!

mtgrs737
03-19-2008, 04:04 PM
heavymetal is right, you will have to adjust the pluged holes in the die to accomodate the number of rows of grease grooves in the boolit design. I am in the process of adjusting my boolit moulds so that I only end up casting two types of grease groove boolits, 1 and 3 three grease grooves in .358 dia. so that I will not have to plug and unplug the dies as I plan on have one die set up for each.

Mtgrs737 :castmine:

MtGun44
03-19-2008, 04:41 PM
IMHO, Stars mostly make sense for large quantities of the same or very
similar boolits being lubed. I have two Stars, a Lyman and an RCBS.

For smaller batches, like 100 or 200 or less to try out a new boolit or an old
mold for a new gun I find that I typically waste a lot more time setting up
the Star if it requires even just adjusting the seating height adjustment
to put the lube injection at the right level. Blocking and unblocking holes
takes even longer. Once you are set up for a boolit design, the Star really
shines, perfect lube location, nothing on the bases, *really* fast production.
But you lose out to the slower Lyman and RCBS if you are changing boolits
a lot. They set up a lot quicker and lube a lot slower. Also the Star and
dies cost around twice each compared the other lubers and dies, new - often
a bigger differential when both are bought used.

Different tools for different needs. Love both kinds, just use them for different
applications. FWIW.

Bill

standles
03-19-2008, 05:02 PM
By the way have you seen freakshows sticky with the star in use? Neat video!

Yes I have and his sorry behind is waht sirred this all up again :) Actually I was a problem looking for an excuse [smilie=1:

Thanks for the answers on my die question.

I agree if I am going to do a 100 or two then it does not make sense. I shoot ~1000 or .40 and another 2K of .45 in a month for practice. It was mainly these two calibers I was looking at setting the star up for. I have been buying the bullets but I now have 4 cav moulds for each of my fav designs. If I get bored/tired of casting that quantity then I can get one of the caster machiens :mrgreen:

Thanks again guys

MtGun44
03-19-2008, 05:56 PM
For those volumes and limited number of boolit designs, the Star is definitely
the way to go. You'll never look back.

Bill

LAH
03-19-2008, 08:36 PM
IMHO, Stars mostly make sense for large quantities of the same or very similar boolits being lubed. Bill

Bill is of course CORRECT

HeavyMetal
03-19-2008, 09:12 PM
Volume is the exact reason I retired my Rock Chucker in the 70's! Between myself and two friends I was loading 3500 rounds a month on it!

Even batch loading it was like having two jobs! If I'd had to cast to keep up with that I would have gone nuts! Fortunately two things happen, first my best bud worked a deal with the league ammo guy to buy 45 bullets at $20.00 a thousand based on our usage!
Second I stumbled across my first Dillon! What a revalation that was! I actually got 2 weekends a month back in my life!

So going to the Star best move you can make! Hope to order my second one real soon.

kpep
03-22-2008, 07:33 PM
Can anyone tell me what size shot is used in the star dies? Thanks

lathesmith
03-22-2008, 08:07 PM
kpep, I have used #6, and I believe 7 1/2 will work also.

runfiverun
03-23-2008, 01:02 AM
just knock it in with a tack hammer it will either smoosh in
or the excess will break away

David R
03-23-2008, 08:48 AM
Once you get the star, you will NOT regret it. I have a Dillon and a star. Going back to the single stage press or using the lyman lubersizer seems awful s l o w.

David

Marshal Kane
03-25-2008, 07:46 PM
just knock it in with a tack hammer it will either smoosh in
or the excess will break away
also . . . just make sure the shot does not protrude into the die cavity or it will rub against your beautifully cast bullets. Don't ask me how I know.:(

Sundogg1911
03-26-2008, 02:42 PM
I had the same issue. I ended up getting a second .358 die because of a 3 groove boolit. I have a 2 groove boolit as well, but it's not a bevel base design, and I cast very few of these so I use my Lyman 450 for that one. I try to use my Stars when ever possible though, just for speed sake. I can at least double whet I do with the Lyman using a Star. maybe triple.

fecmech
03-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Try this instead for your .38 dilemma, just lube 1 groove on all the bullets. .38 cal wadcutters only need 1 groove filled(only done 10-15 k that way!) and the 2 groove boolit may work just fine that way also. You won't know till you try.