PDA

View Full Version : Case Trimmer Preferences

FISH4BUGS
05-26-2015, 09:11 PM
I am growing very tired of trimming brass. I have a Forster Classic that works great, either manually or with an electric screwdriver adapter.
Don't get me wrong....I do not mind case prep. Resize, swage, trim, mike about every 20th one, clean the primer pocket, chamfer and debur....voila! Prepped case.
You get to inspect literally every case that gets done. Nothing wrong with that. But I am sitting down to do 1000 308's for the summer shooting. There has to be a better way after the first 200.
I do one step at a time. Take all 1000 and size. Then swage the 1000.....then trim the 1000....then chamfer and debur the 1000....then clean the primer pocket of the 1000. THEN I'm done and they are ready to load.
I can't justify spending $400 on a Dillon or a Giraud. I'd love to but I just can't justify that expense, particularly since I can do exactly the same thing.....only a boatload slower.
I just installed my spare cutter shaft and boy did that make a difference. I sent the old one back for sharpening.
Any middle ground here? Can I improve output without spending $400+?

altheating
05-26-2015, 09:44 PM
Yup, I have a Gracey for sale for $250. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?278625-WTS-Gracey-Power-Case-Trimmer

kungfustyle
05-26-2015, 09:53 PM
don't think you can get faster for the money: $70 fits any variable speed drill and cranks them out. Caliber specific but that sounds like that's what you want.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/case-preparation/case-trimming/case-trimmers/little-crow-gunworks-worlds-finest-trimmer-prod45315.aspx
http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft.html

country gent
05-26-2015, 10:18 PM
The forester set up for a drill press works pretty well ( depends on stop for drill press) slower than gracey but faster than hand trimmer. I have a similar one I made from an rcbs collet and the holder. Works great for trimming also if you ever need to neck turn some cases. Mine stays right by my bench top drill press. For short runs I use a redding lathe type by hand.

kfarm
05-26-2015, 10:26 PM
Went thru a Lyman hand crank, then put on a drill. Next I got the RCBS motorized trimmer, great but slow. Now I think I'm at the top with a Forster base mounted on a mini mill. I've tried the RCBS 3 way cutter/deburr head and the plane cutter followed by the Lyman chamfer/deburrer head. Both work equally well the cutter only does have to be followed by the deburr but being retired I got plenty of time ( or so I hope).

EDG
05-27-2015, 12:16 AM
You have an excellent trimmer. Just don't try to eat the elephant at one meal. Do 50 or 100 at a time.

Better yet set your calipers to the maximum allowable lenght and trim only the cases that are too long.

I shoot mostly bolt guns and single shots. I measure the chambers my rifles and allow the brass to grow until it is .005 shorter than the chamber.
I then trim it. There is nothing faster than not trimming your brass when unnecessary.

FISH4BUGS
05-27-2015, 07:29 AM
You have an excellent trimmer. Just don't try to eat the elephant at one meal. Do 50 or 100 at a time. There is nothing faster than not trimming your brass when unnecessary.

I do just that....50 or 100 at a time. I can take a break during the day (my office is in my house) and run out to the reloading shed and sit for 10 minutes here and there and do some.
I am doing mostly once fired CAVIM 90 and 91 308 milsurp brass at this point, with a few others mixed in like commercial and LC brass. I do find that the CAVIM (once fired) brass needs more trimming than the others, but precious few need no trimming.
Maybe I am just getting tired of trimming at this point. I have a perfectly good method albeit a tad slow.
Thanks for the offer ALTHEATING. That is what got me to start thinking about this.

Dan Cash
05-27-2015, 08:27 AM
I don't trim by the thousands but do trim several hundred as a batch repeatedly during the shooting season (leveraction brass). I have the same Forster trimmer as you have set up to run with a Milwaulkee screw shooter. This driver turns pretty fast and trimming a case is a matter of seconds; probably 15 or so cases a minute, perhaps faster but I have never timed it. Any system you use still requires you to handle the brass and place it in or on the trimmer and secure the case in some manner.

A real time saver is the Forster cutter that trims and chamfers in one step. It is only available for .308 neck size but it is slick and like you, most of my trimming is for .308 necks.

GRUMPA
05-27-2015, 08:56 AM
I just use the old lathe type RCBS trimmer, but with a custom 3-way trimmer. The trimmer does everything all at once, and I use a 2100RPM drill. When I get in the groove......doing 1K takes me just over an hour to do. After that I put them in batches of 250pcs in the stainless media and dry.

FISH4BUGS
05-27-2015, 09:38 AM
I have the same Forster trimmer as you have set up to run with a Milwaulkee screw shooter. This driver turns pretty fast and trimming a case is a matter of seconds; probably 15 or so cases a minute, perhaps faster but I have never timed it.
Tell me more about this "Milwaukee Screw Shooter" thingie.

lightman
05-27-2015, 10:17 AM
Tell me more about this "Milwaukee Screw Shooter" thingie.

Its a drill like tool that installs screws in drywall or sheetmetal. A good one like a Milwaukee will put you about half way towards the cost of a Giraud, unless you already own one.

I was in the same position as you, trying to process thousands of cases for competition and Prairie Dog shooting. Finally just bit the bullet and bought a Giraud. I can do about 14 or 15 a minute at a sustained rate. A Gracie should do as well, but caliber changes take a little longer.

KnotRight
05-27-2015, 04:09 PM
I use a WFT, drill motor, harbor freight foot switch and a vise. Put the drill motor in the vise and lock the trigger on and use the foot pedal to power the drill. VERY EASY and you can go through a case every 6 seconds if you are trying to make a worlds record. I did about 200 223 in maybe 20 minutes and that was not pushing it.

FISH4BUGS
05-29-2015, 09:23 AM
I have changed to the electric screwdriver attachment on the Forster. Not the quickest but probably the least amount of energy required to trim. I can always change back to the hand crank to vary the routine.
Someday when I have some money to burn, the Dillon or Giraud is in the works.....hey....my birthday is coming up.....maybe I can get the kids and significant other to take up a collection......
Right now, 20 to 50 at a time seems to be a tolerable amount. After sizing, swaging and cleaning the primer pockets on the entire 1000, I can trim, chamfer and debur at my leisure.
That ziploc gallon bag is filling with ready to load 308's....slowly but surely.

bob208
05-29-2015, 11:05 AM
I started with a lyman hand crank. took the head off of it mounted to a block. now I clamp the block to the table of my mill and trim away. so much faster.

FISH4BUGS
06-02-2015, 07:49 PM
I finally got sick of trimming 308's. I was able to do 14 lbs of ready to load 308 brass. That should be somewhere around 600 plus the leftovers from the last round gives me about 700-750 to load. That should keep me happy for a while.
I took everything apart and put it away. Now to set up the Star Sizer to size and lube about 1000 240gr swc 44's. Ready to load the mid range 44's. Then comes the 357 round nose (H&G #39) to use in the Rossi 92. Then I need some 38rn for plinking.
Oh yes....then there are those 3000-4000 or 5000 223's that need to be processed. That takes care of my summer reloading schedule!

dragon813gt
06-02-2015, 08:06 PM
Do you have the three way cutter for the Foster? I have the 22 and 30 caliber ones and they speed up production a lot. Wish they made one in 35 caliber.

http://www.forsterproducts.com/store.asp?pid=35808&catid=19938

David2011
06-02-2015, 08:51 PM
The "World's Finest Trimmer" is now available as the "World's Finest Trimmer II" which has interchangeable bushings to trim most calibers; same price as the original with additional trim chambers running about $25. I bought one when I was trimming a LOT of .223. I also bought a Possum Hollow and the Lee setup. I didn't find a great deal of difference between the WFT and the Possum Hollow for moderate volumes of trimming but the WFT would make me happier if doing a large batch due to the bearing that isolates the case rotation from the housing; the WFT doesn't. The Possum Hollow spins the shoulder support The WFT is by far the fastest and easiest of them to use with the Possum Hollow a close second. I have a Forster as well but didn't care to try to process several thousand pieces with it. I would jump on the Gracey at $250 if I thought I would ever process that much brass at once again.

David

smoked turkey
06-02-2015, 11:29 PM
I started out with an old Hornady hand crank trimmer. I enjoy the reloading process. That is all but trimming. I have since graduated to the drill press mounted Foster and have not looked back. Once I have it set up and the length dialed in I can make hay. Funny thing about this I sort of enjoy doing it. Now that's saying something for me. I do need to come up with a faster way for the chamfer/inside neck reaming operation as I still do it with one of the hand operated ones and I still don't like doing it that way.

psychbiker
06-03-2015, 12:52 AM
I have 3 CTS carbide trimmers. I use a drill or drill press, haven't determined which method I like better. Love the new dillon 1500 as it cuts 223 to blackout length BUT at $400, that's hefty.

tenx
06-03-2015, 03:10 AM
RCBS 3 way cutter is great, however their old style trimmer would vary the length of a trimmed case "IF" the heads of the cases varied in diameter slightly or the collet handle was tightened differently each time. The case could be drawn inside the collet holder to different lengths and this resulted the trim length varying slightly. The Forester had a Brown & Sharp type collet and would'nt do that. I have no reason to change from the old style RCBS trimmer even though the length changes a thousand or so, i can live with that, I do use a Forester when I have to inside ream or outside neck turn but the RCBS trim/inside/outside debur in one step really appeals to me and saves a lot of time, especially when a power tool is used to turn the trimmer. OK, so I'm a little lazy but the trimming task looses a little of it's appeal after the first couple of thousand cases

FISH4BUGS
06-03-2015, 06:40 AM
Do you have the three way cutter for the Foster? I have the 22 and 30 caliber ones and they speed up production a lot. Wish they made one in 35 caliber.
http://www.forsterproducts.com/store.asp?pid=35808&catid=19938

Now THAT seems to be an interesting option. I might dispute their estimate of 250 to 400 per hour using this handy dandy little tool, but it DOES cut out the step of chamfering and deburring. I'll take a look at that.

Lead Fred
06-03-2015, 06:50 AM

When we moved to washingrad in 1965, my ole man went 80 miles out of his way to see Ole Man Wilson.
He told me this is the basis of he super-duper match rounds.

The first one I used didnt have the caliber on it. That is a recent invention.

Minus that, Ive used the same one since 1961, when the old man said "Come here boy, I have something to teach you.
Still mounted on the table today.

https://youtu.be/_Tbx7p0oRcc

http://www.lewilsondirect.com/

and yes you have to have a shell holder for each caliber, each does 3 different calibers

dragon813gt
06-03-2015, 11:01 AM
Now THAT seems to be an interesting option. I might dispute their estimate of 250 to 400 per hour using this handy dandy little tool, but it DOES cut out the step of chamfering and deburring. I'll take a look at that.

I won't dispute the estimate. But will simply state your hand will be hurting well before you reach those numbers. The collet handle is the weakness in their design IMO. I understand why it's the way it is. But it chews up my hand.

The three way cutters can be a pain to get on and off the shaft. If you're like me and trim a large variety of cases an order for some spare parts would be on order so you don't have to take the cutters on and off.

FISH4BUGS
06-03-2015, 12:32 PM
I won't dispute the estimate. But will simply state your hand will be hurting well before you reach those numbers. The collet handle is the weakness in their design IMO. I understand why it's the way it is. But it chews up my hand.

The three way cutters can be a pain to get on and off the shaft. If you're like me and trim a large variety of cases an order for some spare parts would be on order so you don't have to take the cutters on and off.

Much of my trimming is done with an electric screwdriver and the Forster adapter. The output is OK...not great, but OK. The collet is another story. i really have to make sure that the case is seated properly in order to get accurate trimming. That means sometimes seating it more than once.
I have a spare cutter shaft that I just started using. It really helps with the output. I guess I didn't realize how dull the other one was. I sent it back for sharpening.

TenTea
06-03-2015, 12:59 PM
Lee cutter/trimmer chucked in a drill press.
Brass locked into the Lee base, held with a stubby screwdriver...the kind with the magnetic tip that takes assorted bits.

Cinch case in base, then up onto cutter which is perpetually spinning in the drill press and trimmed to length in seconds.
Cheap (assuming you have a drill press), fast, effective and precise.

I also use an adapter for deburring and chamfering with my drill press.

ukrifleman
06-03-2015, 01:48 PM
Up until recently, I have used the Lee ball cutter and chamfer tool and 3 jaw chuck locked into a battery drill.

While it worked ok, it was a 3 stage process to trim, de-burr and chamfer cases.

I load for 15 calibres, but not in large volumes, I probably process 50/100 cases at any one time.

On the recommendation of a shooting buddy in NC, I bought a Lee De-lux Quick trim cutter and 7 die bodies and can say that I have found it to be a good system.

I mounted the die bodies onto turrets for my Lee Classic turret press and it is a breeze to swap between calibres.

I can now trim, de-burr and chamfer cases in 1 pass instead of 3. The finish of the cases are probably the best I have produced to date.

So, if you are into moderate volumes of case preparation, I would recommend the Lee De-lux Quick trim system for efficiency and price.

ukrifleman.

twc1964
06-03-2015, 01:59 PM
+1 on the little crow gunworks trimmer. I believe this is the possum hollow trimmer and you cant beat it for speed. I bought one for 223 and sit in front of two big coffee cans. One before and one after. Just lock your drill in the on position and stick em in. The sound tells you when its trimmed. Pretty accurate too. Best 30 bucks ive ever spent. No more blisters from cranking that handle. Lol

madman
06-03-2015, 02:08 PM
Dillon power trimmer in a single stage or progressive press. Only way to go.

David2011
06-03-2015, 02:38 PM
+1 on the little crow gunworks trimmer. I believe this is the possum hollow trimmer and you cant beat it for speed. I bought one for 223 and sit in front of two big coffee cans. One before and one after. Just lock your drill in the on position and stick em in. The sound tells you when its trimmed. Pretty accurate too. Best 30 bucks ive ever spent. No more blisters from cranking that handle. Lol

The Little Crow and Possum Hollow are different. The Little Crow World's Finest Trimmer has the shoulder stop mounted in a bearing; the Possum Hollow works similarly but has no bearing so it drags against the case shoulder.

That's what I ultimately ended up with. I lightly lube the cases with Dillon spray case lube and load them into the case feeder after the alcohol evaporates. The toolhead with the Dillon trimmer also has 2 sizing dies on it. The first decaps and FL sizes. The Rapid trimmer is in the third station but the Dillon sizing die that works with the Rapid Trimmer leaves the neck undersized so at station 5 I have another sizing die that is backed out so as to not resize but it runs the ball expander through the case to restore the neck size. It will size, decap and trim at a very high pace.

David

FISH4BUGS
06-03-2015, 02:48 PM

That is really what started this whole thread.....I really cannot justify $450 or so....maybe $500 with a couple of dies. I'd LOVE to buy a Dillon. I have all Dillon equipment, but i cannot justify the expense of the power trimmer. I am trying to find a middle ground between the Forster trimmer and the Dillon.

Ranger 7
06-06-2015, 02:48 PM
The new Lee De Lux trim tool is really great! Simple, quick and performs three jobs in one move.