PDA

View Full Version : Midway, Midsouth, Grafs, etc. out of everything?

GrizzLeeBear
03-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Anybody notice how all the reloading supply places seem to be out of just about everything? Not oddball things for obscure calibers and guns, but things like dies, molds, bullets, brass for common standard calibers, magazines for popular guns like AR's etc. Just about anything I search for is "out of stock". What the heck is going on?

Bret4207
03-19-2008, 03:29 PM
FWIW- The "survivalist" type boards have had everyone hoarding as much as possible for the past year or so. Kind of a mini-Y2K feeling in the air. Might not be related, I don't know. I talked to a trucker for Jerry Sports Center, a big Pa. distributor, and he said they could get everything except shot.

dromia
03-19-2008, 03:38 PM
Reducing the inventory for lean times ahead, stock on the shelves is money tied up. They'll buy in when they have our money.

Just been looking through Midway for Lee case length trimmers, just a few odballs in stock, did order the new .450"/.577" Martini trimmer though.

This is going to a mate in the US so can't wait for backorder, I would have ordered a lot more stuff if they'd had it but with my mates deadline they've lost my money, can't be that important to them. Grafs had slightly more stuff in so they got my trade.

mtgrs737
03-19-2008, 04:11 PM
I believe that with the high ammo prices and the present bunch of office runners that most folks are taking a serious look at reloading and boolit casting as a way of keeping shooting and hedging for the future.

encoreman
03-20-2008, 12:32 AM
I think you are correct 737, 20 years from now we'll call this the lead rush of '08. With prices of everything skyrocketing, if the common man is going to shoot, he is now almost forced into reloading, hence the " out of everything" as everyone is trying to get his stuff right now. It could be worse, we could live in Australia or the U.K.

jschance
03-20-2008, 07:56 AM
I've noticed it too. I've been looking for some gaschecks, and most everywhere I've looked they're out of stock.

Now I've got 100 lbs of naked bullets waiting to get dressed.[smilie=1:

eljefe
03-20-2008, 08:37 AM
It has carried over into guns, as well. There seems to be a shortage of AR-15 rifles, and I know we are selling a gang of them.

Folks seem to be hedging their bets for what is to come in November. I have had a lot of people come into the store to buy handguns, in addition to the evil black rifles and ak type rifles.

VTDW
03-20-2008, 08:44 AM
HERE IS A LIST OF SUPPLIERS though some links no longer work.
I bought several thousand Fed 210M primers from www.wideners.com/ yesterday.

www.midwayusa.com
www.brunoshooters.com/catalog/catalog_frameset.html
www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/
www.grafs.com/
www.lockstock.com/
www.natchezss.com/
www.leeprecision.com/
www.tntreloading.com/
www.tntreloading.com/index2.ivnu
www.fmreloading.com/
www.kinneman.com/catalog/whole_catalog.html
www.neconos.com/
www.wideners.com/
www.atozreloading.com/indexns.html
www.sinclairintl.com/
www.snowcrest.net/oldwest/
www.clarkcustomguns.com/linksammo.htm
www.forsterproducts.com/Pages/main.htm
www.wholesalehunter.com/product/search.htm
www.starlinebrass.com/
www.blue-star-inc.com/
www.bhshooters.com/
www.gibrass.com/
www.southernbellebrass.com/contact.htm
ammunition-reloading.virtualave.net/products.htm
www.georgiaprecision.com/
www.customreloads.com/
www.huntingtons.com/
www.ballisticproducts.com/
www.precisionreloading.com/
www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/
www.midwayusa.com/
www.midwayusa.com/home.html

Dave

quasi
03-20-2008, 10:32 PM
I placed an order at Lock Stock and Barrel today and half the stuff I order was back ordered.

jdhenry
03-20-2008, 10:45 PM
I just had to order from Garfs (1st timer) And Midway (alot of times) Just to get all of the stuff I was wanting. But at least I got it:)

Reloader06
03-20-2008, 10:45 PM
I was lucky enough to find some Fed 210m's today. Usally buy a brick, today 5 bricks because I havent seen them in 1-2 years. 29.75 each +shipping+ hazmat.

Matt

NVcurmudgeon
03-21-2008, 12:10 AM
I was in Sportsman's Warehouse, which serves the 400,000 population of the Reno area, as well as visiting firemen from all over northern Nevada and California. Luckily, I wasn't looking for primers. The primer shelves contained two or three thousand Federal SR primers and maybe 2,000 shotshell primers. The rest was bare boards.

9.3X62AL
03-21-2008, 12:35 AM
Panic buying--just like 1999-2000.

HeavyMetal
03-21-2008, 12:44 AM
Anybody remenber the "Great Primer" shortage during the first Gulf war?

Here in L.A. they dried up off the shelfs real fast and those places that could continue to receive them either put a limit on them, (which I thought was fair to everyone) or they tripled the price!

An interesting note the ones who made the most money now seem to be out of the business.

This "shortage" may be a supply and demand thing, but the guy I have been dealing with hasn't had anymore issues than normal.

Urny
03-21-2008, 06:39 AM
I was in GunWorld and Archery in Elko Monday last and, with the exception of Remington primers, the shelves were full of all reloading supplies that they normally carry. They appeared to be fully stocked at the new and improved, read higher, prices. Their gun selection is usually uninteresting though.

shotman
03-21-2008, 07:01 AM
js chance what size gas checks you looking for ? em me ragebhardt at msn dot com rick

MikeH
03-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Well, I was working on an order this week with Midway. They were out of stock of a few things I wanted, so I held off the order for a few days to see if the things came in. Now I see they're also out of the couple things I really needed that were in stock when I started the order!

racepres
03-23-2008, 09:58 AM
I think that 9.3X62AL and heavymetal are right on in their assessment. There was also a "shortage" before that in the mid-late 90's.. Man Did I get some great deals on primers after that when the scare was that they would somehow go "dead" after a certain shelf life.. Don't know the specified time.. I'm still using them!!! "Patience Grasshopper"... MV
Stockpiling/hoarding/overbuying, are the cause of the problem, not a solution!

billsr
03-23-2008, 10:46 AM
I ordered primers from Dillon, a 1,000 each of WLR, WSP, WSR, and WLR. Don't know if they are backordered or not as their site did not say. I also ordered 1,000 cast bullets from Penn Bullets on 2/21/08, and still have not received them, but I'm in no hurry, and their site does say that they cast bullets when they get a big enough run to do so. At least I ordered a popular bullet, .45 BBTC, 230 grain.

Alchemist
03-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Just keep looking ...I finally found both the sizer dies I needed at Natchez. Slightly more $ per die, but only have to pay shipping once vs ordering from more than one vendor. Local gun shops that have what you need seem to a thing of the past :(. I try to support my one local shop; but just can't pay the prices for everything, when I can order and pay shipping and still save quite a bit. I'm sure that small shops just can't afford the $$$ to stock "specialty items" like casting equipment.

SWIAFB
03-29-2008, 04:30 PM
I've been checking Midway for the past 3 weeks, finally today, they had all 12 items that I was looking for. Now if MidSouth would just get those 22 Bators in. I'd be a happy caster.

Dale53
03-29-2008, 11:49 PM
In the midst of small gun shops and reloading supplies drying up, a nearby gun shop has expanded and will offer a full range of reloading supplies. It will be interesting to see what transpires.

Their gun prices have been good and I have bought several firearms from them. They trade well and look to be successful. At least it sounds good...

Dale53

NVcurmudgeon
03-30-2008, 12:41 AM
Went to the Big Reno Gun Show today. It is the biggest show I have ever seen, and I've been a regular visitor for about seven years. BRGS is held in two large ballrooms of a Reno resort hotel. Shooters come from all over northern Nevada and northern California. Miwall, a large ammunition and primer vendor, has large displays in BOTH rooms. Many shooters come mainly for their good prices and reliable supplies of primers. Usually there is a trainload of Winchester primers. Alas, today there were WW primers in SP and LP only. There were also 2,000 Remington SR primers. There were some Wolf primers and a few thousands of WW shotshell primers, but I didn't keep track. For the same seven years I have relied on a large dealer specializing in brass, mostly WW. Today, the brass dealer wasn't even there. I am assuming that he couldn't get enough stock to make the trip worthwhile. I've seen this before, from the Viet Nam War to the recent "green" ammo story. It has always passed away before, and probably will again.

Nueces
03-30-2008, 05:54 PM
My local (Austin. TX) gun store has had a much-reduced reloading inventory for quite some time. There just wasn't enough demand - most were buying relatively cheap ammo. Last week, the boss told me he had noticed a resurgence in interest in handloading, so he might have to restock and expand the loading section. Dunno, we'll see.

Mark

monadnock#5
04-03-2008, 10:11 AM
I put a wish list of items together over the weekend on the Midway site. Yesterday morning I went to put the order in. No dice. Out of stock. I tried Midsouth, Natchez, Grafs, Weidners and a couple of others. The one thing I really needed was a .359 Lyman H+I die, and nobody had one. On the Midsouth site I saw where arrival date for new stock was "overdue", so just for the heck of it I checked Midway again last night. What had been out of stock twelve hours earlier was in stock and ready to ship at 9:00EST. So I jumped on it and put my order in.

The Redding turret press that was on the wish list is still there. I'm waiting for a good old fashioned 20% off sale. I just hope hell doesn't freeze over in the meantime, because that'll be what it takes for me to pay full retail.

EMC45
04-03-2008, 01:43 PM
I've spoken to distributers and local shops and they say the shortage isn't because of politics or hoarding, it is because of the war. Powder is pretty easy to get, but primers and brass is getting hard to come by. The metals market has effected this too.

hyoder
04-03-2008, 02:23 PM
In '94 - '96 supplies were scarce, especially powder and primers. I guess I'm guilty of hoarding - I'm still shooting primers bought then.
I'll do it again if I have to to keep shooting.

PatMarlin
04-04-2008, 10:11 AM
What were Winchester primers going for Bill?

Next year, I want to go to the Reno show with you... :drinks: