PDA

View Full Version : Department of Veteran’s Affairs’ Gun Lock push

ohland
05-26-2015, 08:50 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/05/26/exclusive-u-s-navy-vet-veterans-affairs-gun-locks-another-obama-back-door-gun-control-measure/

Another echo of the VA leading from behind.

MaryB
05-27-2015, 12:01 AM
VA just wants a gun list for confiscation...

lbaize3
05-27-2015, 08:34 AM
Yep, they are so good helping vets with their medical needs that they have time left over to address the vets' home safety requirements. Ain't that special.

jcwit
05-27-2015, 09:51 AM
A few weeks ago I discussed shooting with my eye Dr. at the VA Hospital in Fort Wayne, In. Turns out he also in a BR shooter, we discussed various rifles, he happens to shoot the same make & model as I do however a larger caliber. We also discussed different ranges and I found out I at times have shot at the same range as he does. He never offered me a gun lock of any kind, nor did he mention anything about anyone wishing to take our guns away. He did mention he was a life member of the NRA and firmly believes in their stance of the RTKBA.

SSSsooooooooooooo!

quickdraw66
05-27-2015, 04:32 PM
A few weeks ago I discussed shooting with my eye Dr. at the VA Hospital in Fort Wayne, In. Turns out he also in a BR shooter, we discussed various rifles, he happens to shoot the same make & model as I do however a larger caliber. We also discussed different ranges and I found out I at times have shot at the same range as he does. He never offered me a gun lock of any kind, nor did he mention anything about anyone wishing to take our guns away. He did mention he was a life member of the NRA and firmly believes in their stance of the RTKBA.

SSSsooooooooooooo!

That's one doctor, not the whole organization. Do you have actual evidence to disprove that article?

dilly
05-27-2015, 04:49 PM
If the .gov wants to teach soldiers about gun safety, they should do it while they are serving in our MILITARY.

Any military whose veterans don't know how to properly handle firearms has dropped the ball.

smokeywolf
05-27-2015, 05:13 PM
"We're from the government and we're here to help you."

jcwit
05-27-2015, 07:19 PM
That's one doctor, not the whole organization. Do you have actual evidence to disprove that article?

Just my personal experience with my primary care Dr. & Nurses, my Cardiologist, my Oncologist, Eye Dr., Audiologist, and other's I've seen during the last 15 years. Guns and target shooting has been discussed with all of them at one time or another.

Do you have actual evidence to prove that article as fact & without question?

jcwit
05-27-2015, 07:22 PM
If the .gov wants to teach soldiers about gun safety, they should do it while they are serving in our MILITARY.

Any military whose veterans don't know how to properly handle firearms has dropped the ball.

LOL, Got training in basic. After basic went to AIT, then went to the Pentagon, never had a weapon after basic, never handled a weapon after basic.

Guess they dropped the ball with me.

quickdraw66
05-27-2015, 07:22 PM
Just my personal experience with my primary care Dr. & Nurses, my Cardiologist, my Oncologist, Eye Dr., Audiologist, and other's I've seen during the last 15 years. Guns and target shooting has been discussed with all of them at one time or another.

Do you have actual evidence to prove that article as fact & without question?
The guy in the article has a little more insight into the issue than you would, so unless solid evidence is presented to prove him wrong, I'm more inclined to believe him.

jaysouth
05-27-2015, 07:48 PM
I am suspect of this report. I have been a patient at VA in Richmond and Nashville. At both places gun locks are placed on tables to take as many of as you want. No staff member or physician at the VA has ever asked me if I own a gun, even when being evaluated for PTSD. The only question that has ever arisen is "do you have any extra Unique".

There is no one at a policy position in the VA who is smart enough to implement an coherent plan to do anything in or out of the hospitals, so forget tinfoil conspiricies. There may be some self serving administrators at a local level who want to implement programs "for the patients" but this is eyewash for their evaluations!

Add to the fact that there is no doctor or shrink at the VA who can 'adjudicate' you as being mentally ill. That's for a judge. Patients who receive a check and are deemed not competent to manage their financial affairs go to NCIC as ineligable to purchase a firearm.

As for the VA as a whole, never ascribe any of their actions to malice if incompetence would better explain it.

dilly
05-28-2015, 10:28 AM
LOL, Got training in basic. After basic went to AIT, then went to the Pentagon, never had a weapon after basic, never handled a weapon after basic.

Guess they dropped the ball with me.

Not necessarily. I assume you are capable of handling firearms on your own without continuing education from the government. If you are unable to do so, then yes they did fail you, but I doubt that is the case.

jcwit
05-28-2015, 11:59 AM
Not necessarily. I assume you are capable of handling firearms on your own without continuing education from the government. If you are unable to do so, then yes they did fail you, but I doubt that is the case.

Well right you are there. I take care of the rifles at our American Legion for all Details and Parades.