PDA

View Full Version : Screwed by Taurus

Nomadnailer
05-26-2015, 06:59 PM
I bought a .41 Magnum Raging Bull used it had some play in the cylinder so I sent it back to the Factory to get it worked on here is the problem. They called and said the wear was from abuse wouldn't say what someone would have to do to wear it in this fashion. I knew the old man I bought the gun from he doesn't abuse anything so I wanted the gun back they said they wouldn't send it back and if they did they would destroy it so it could not be put back together. They offered to let me by a gun at cost in return for my gun ,but what happens to the $650.00 dollar I have in the gun.

mrvmax
05-26-2015, 07:31 PM
I would tell them to replace it for free or send it back as is or you will turn the matter over to an attorney. I do not see how they could destroy your revolver.

fatnhappy
05-26-2015, 07:32 PM
wow. Just wow.

If it were me and I didn't live in marxist NY, I would file a complaint with the State Attorney General.

bangerjim
05-26-2015, 07:40 PM
That is why I always take stuff like that to a trusted LOCAL gun smith. To heck with mfg warranty! Worth less than the paper they are written on. A local smith probably could have fixed it for a hundred bucks.

Geezer in NH
05-26-2015, 08:06 PM
As a former dealer I dropped Taurus many years ago due to suckey warranty service. I would never recommended any one to buy from them.

silverpigeon
05-26-2015, 08:18 PM
You said that you sent it in to be worked on. I don't understand why they couldn't work on the problem and make it acceptable to them. Instead of just saying "Nope you are SOL."

scb
05-26-2015, 08:24 PM
It's a bluff. Call it. Tell them to send it back or you will be contacting your states attorney general and the attorney general of the state they are located in. They have no more right to take your personal property than you do to take someone else's belongings. They also have no right to destroy it.

smokeywolf
05-26-2015, 09:00 PM
Sure sorry to hear of your difficulties. It seems that in the past 20 to 30 years, manufacturers have learned how to write a "lifetime limited warranty" that is followed by paragraph after paragraph of fine print in which are buried exclusions which purposely render the warranty useless.
Mostly what they will do, as in your situation, is specify damage due to abuse as voiding or not covered by the warranty and follow that with language that says that they have the right to determine what is or is not damage caused by abuse.

Another trick is to exclude from coverage, any part that costs more to replace than what typical shipping might cost you the consumer to ship it back for the needed repairs.

When it come to firearms, I'm fortunate to have the tooling, machinery and knowledge to fabricate nearly any part likely to be needed on any of my firearms. All other products, I read the warranty carefully and on top of that try and buy through a retailer who has a solid reputation for honoring return policies.

Recently bought about $4,500 worth of kitchen and laundry appliances from Costco. On top of being a thousand dollars cheaper than anyone else, they automatically and at no extra charge add an additional year to the manufacturers warranty; effectively doubling the warranty.

When buying electronics, I buy through Amazon or locally.

As mrvmax said, I think I would send a firmly worded letter threatening to turn the matter over to your attorney if the firearm is not returned forthwith.

lefty o
05-26-2015, 09:01 PM
pretty much agree with the above. call and speak to them and lay out the options, repair the gun, rpelace the gun, or return it. failure to do so will result in theft charges and a small claims lawsuit. dont roll over to their BS!

leeggen
05-26-2015, 09:17 PM
I don't know if it would be simular but suppose you take your car to the dealer to have the brakes fixed. They find a cracked brake rotor on it, now the liability come to play here. You don't have the money to fix it or they don't have the parts, but they can't let the car leave cause of the danger in an accident happening from the cracked rotor. So they must hold the car just do to liability envolved. Not saying this is what it is about but most likely. I wonder if they have your pistol repair mixed up with someone elses? Have had that happen to me before also. A nice letter from an att. will probably get it back.

CD

lefty o
05-26-2015, 09:29 PM
nobody can hold your property without your permission, dealership or gun maker. if they do it is theft!

Dhammer
05-26-2015, 09:47 PM
That sucks. They played a paperwork game for a rebate with us a few years ago. . They waited till well after deadline to say it had to be resent before deadline with all info requested. They had every single piece of info they required for rebate.
Could never get a response from them about it either. Haven't bought anything under any of their brands since.

Lonegun1894
05-26-2015, 11:09 PM
I've seen several posts these last few months that made me think that just maybe Taurus was getting their stuff back in gear and fixing their old ways, but by the sound of things, they haven't changed a thing. Sorry it took your troubles to prove that. I do agree with the others above though. They blow smoke about how great their "lifetime warranty" is, threaten them with a lawyer and see if maybe you can get them to honor their promise by holding their feet to the fire a bit.

waksupi
05-26-2015, 11:47 PM
The best thing to do is to avoid Taurus firearms, they have a long sad history of poor quality.

Lonegun1894
05-27-2015, 02:18 AM
The best thing to do is to avoid Taurus firearms, they have a long sad history of poor quality.

Now those are definitely some words of wisdom there, Waksupi!

merlin101
05-27-2015, 03:43 AM
I don't know if it would be simular but suppose you take your car to the dealer to have the brakes fixed. They find a cracked brake rotor on it, now the liability come to play here. You don't have the money to fix it or they don't have the parts, but they can't let the car leave cause of the danger in an accident happening from the cracked rotor. So they must hold the car just do to liability envolved. Not saying this is what it is about but most likely. I wonder if they have your pistol repair mixed up with someone elses? Have had that happen to me before also. A nice letter from an att. will probably get it back.

CD

They still can't just keep something that doesn't belong to them, what they can do is have you sign a release of liability stating that they have warned you about blah blah before they give your property back. Been there done that.

Squeeze
05-27-2015, 07:05 AM
Abuse? what abuse? continually placing little explosive devices in it and shooting them out? What exactly was it designed for, a hammer? If you want to see abuse, you should see my 50 year old 870 that spent most of its life on a salt water marsh after ducks. THAT thing has seen some serious abuse, especially when steel shot first came into play. Never a hitch and still always reliable. (and still my favorite shotgun, even though I have 2 more newer 870's, a slugger and a newer screw choke that just never seems to get used)

quickdraw66
05-27-2015, 07:27 AM
I just talked to Taurus customer service about a minor issue my gun was having. They took care of me and are paying the shipping so they can repair it free of charge. Sorry to hear about your experience.

Petrol & Powder
05-27-2015, 07:30 AM
My association with Taurus products goes back many years and I've seen good and bad from that company in terms of quality. Due to their hit & miss quality I am no longer willing to play in their sandbox.

texassako
05-27-2015, 08:56 AM
There are several companies reinterpreting your purchase of an item to mean you are only buying the use of the product and not the product itself. I hope Taurus is not trying to head down this path.

HATCH
05-27-2015, 09:43 AM
There are several companies reinterpreting your purchase of an item to mean you are only buying the use of the product and not the product itself. I hope Taurus is not trying to head down this path.

That has to deal with the firmware (programming/software). Not the physical hardware.
You are buying the license to use the firmware not to own it.

Back to the topic in hand.

Contact Taurus. Tell them they have two choices
(1) Return the firearm in the same condition as it was sent to them
Or
(2) Repair the firearm for a REASONABLE cost (ie FREE)

This is Taurus's position.
They can only send back firearms that meet their safety standards. This is the same reason that if you send a firearm back for repair that has a trigger job or non-factory internal parts, they will replace them with factory parts and return the non-factory parts.

smokeywolf
05-27-2015, 04:42 PM
By the way Nomadnailer, when issuing an ultimatum to any company that is trying to steal your money or property, keep calm and tell them something to the effect of, "today's date is mo/dy/yr, if I do not have my property back in my hands by midnight on mo/dy/yr, the following day I will be filling a small claims action against your company. PERIOD. I now need your name for my records and a mailing address, as this phone call and any and all future communications will be followed up with a certified letter.
Thank you so much and you have a nice day now."

I had to do this recently with a major online stock brokerage firm that was holding $1,600 of my money and ignoring repeated demands to return it to me. "One week from today I will be at my County Court House filing a small claims action against you."
They overnighted the check FedEx.

Fishman
05-27-2015, 05:18 PM
They may be waiting for you to demand your gun back in writing. Cheaper than repairing it under warranty.

dubber123
05-27-2015, 07:26 PM
They owe you your gun back, period. They should fix it, but they are good at weasling out of their touted "warranty". I wonder if they still have the stack of identical form letters that states "Within spec, no problems found, never shoot reloads"?. I've run into quite a few people that received these, along with their unrepaired firearm. It is in fact a lifetime warranty. I warranty I will never spend any of my money with their firm until they reverse the poor reputation they have garnered for themselves. Good luck to them.

Bigslug
05-30-2015, 04:44 PM
They offered to let me by a gun at cost in return for my gun ,but what happens to the $650.00 dollar I have in the gun.

They played this very same game with us when I worked at the LGS over ten years ago. Result: shop no longer carries Taurus. I had hopes that they would have corrected these service issues, but apparently no dice.

I would hazard a guess and say this practice stems from not having any spare parts or trained service people in country, but a guess is all that is.

Making an inexpensive gun likely to have higher incidences of malfunction in and of itself is not a bad thing. Neither is coming out and saying "these things aren't made to last forever". Selling junk, on the other hand, under a false flag of quality and top-notch support is inexcusable. As such, their guns would be excessively expensive at a tenth the price.

Tackleberry41
05-30-2015, 06:37 PM
I have not bought several Taurus guns in the last couple years due to their spotty record. I know some love them, if you hear the occasional story about poor service, not a big deal. But theres way to many stories about their service. And the way my luck runs, if there is a bad gun to be sold I will get it, like they save them up or something. And now Taurus and Rossi are the same company, I really doubt its going to improve things at all.

Customer service for most companies anymore seems almost like they do it with gritted teeth. They would dump it all together if they could. 'Abuse' is the catch all for everything now. Its gun we shoot them, put enough rounds thru one and they need service. I have yet to hear back from Uberti on a pistol I bought NIB. Yea I was able to fix it, but when you fork over $1000 you shouldn't have any issues.

dkf
06-03-2015, 07:19 PM
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm285/SDV10/meanwhileattaurus.jpg (http://s299.photobucket.com/user/SDV10/media/meanwhileattaurus.jpg.html)

dubber123
06-06-2015, 06:47 PM
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm285/SDV10/meanwhileattaurus.jpg (http://s299.photobucket.com/user/SDV10/media/meanwhileattaurus.jpg.html)

Now thats funny! :)

Tackleberry41
06-08-2015, 11:58 AM
That looks like that old clunker 22 single action I ended up with when I was young. A ring of little dents all the way around the rear of the cylinder.

RJM52
06-27-2015, 07:32 PM
Sent a 425 Titanium Tracker .41 Magnum back for cylinder binding....came back fixed...about 50 rounds later same thing. Called and spoke to a CS rep who asked what load I was using...I told him Winchester 175 grain Silvertip ammo... He said that was too heavy a load for the gun.... Lets see...that round runs a 175 grain bullet at 1225 fps from a 4" gun...is one of the lowest pressure loads on the market. When I advised of that he said that was not correct. I asked him if he could name a lower pressure load...he could not. Gun went back again on their dime and came back and have had no further problem...but they have very unknowable people working for them....and Taurus is not alone...

Friend was having problems with a Kimber Pro size .45 and sent it back to Kimber. They emailed him and said the gun had been abused as the frame and slide had several cracks in them and refused to send the gun back. Said that he voided the warranty because he replaced their flat mainspring housing for an arched one and that is what caused all the problems.... To their credit at least they did offer (and he took) a brand new replacement for $525.00 which was less than half the retail price of a new one.

Bob

Cmm_3940
06-27-2015, 08:50 PM
I would not leave my expensive upgrade parts installed in any gun sent back for service. They don't need to know, and I don't want to lose them.

FergusonTO35
07-06-2015, 01:31 PM
I bought a like new Taurus 82 for $260.00 last year, it is a medium frame .38 Special they have been making for decades. It's one of the few Taurus guns you never hear anything bad about. These revolvers receive alot of police and military use south of the border so I think Taurus holds them to a higher standard.

It does have one little defect. The plunger at the end o the screw that holds the crane in the frame is a bit too long and drags on the crane when screwed in all the way. I just added some loctite and backed it off 1/2 turn, now it works perfectly. Otherwise it shoots and functions perfectly, really likes 3.4 grains Bullseye under any 158 grain boolit. If it ever gives me more trouble I'll just fix it myself or let my local dealer handle it. He will make it right even if the manufacturer won't.

quickdraw66
07-06-2015, 06:14 PM
I had an issue with a new gun I bought from Taurus, and they did right by me. They paid the shipping BOTH ways (and did not charge a dime for the repair), and the turn around was exactly what they told me it would be. Just under 6 weeks. The gun was having accuracy issues from an oversized bore, so they replaced the barrel and ran 40 rounds of Winchester ammo (the ammo I told them I used) to check the function and the accuracy of the gun. They also sent along a target showing a TIGHT group of 5 rounds from 15 yards to prove that the gun is accurate. The whole thing was easy and painless. The customer service rep I contacted (chat function on their site) was extremely helpful.

This was a few weeks ago.

butch2570
07-06-2015, 07:41 PM
When the Judge came out , my wife got me the stainless, 3" model for christmas, the next day I went and bought 3 -4 different types of Factory ammo for it, just something to blast and sight in with. Well at 15 yds every single type of ammo I fed it key holed. I bought more ( different weights and types) ammo, same thing. I took it back to the retailer, who sent it back to the factory, a month later the factory tells my dealer the barrel is bad and will have to be replaced. 3 months later I still have no revolver...I called the factory, gave them my info and asked where my revolver was. It's getting a new barrel they said. Another month, nothing, I called my retailer in the last week of May, and said this has to end. Retailer gave me a 629, 44 for my troubles and said he was very sorry, and he would deal with Taurus, that was my first and last dealing with Taurus.

William Yanda
07-06-2015, 08:03 PM
Can't remember where, (aint CRS a downer) but John Deere-the tractor people-is playing that game too. AIR, something like "If you hook your computer to it, all warranties are null and void"

That has to deal with the firmware (programming/software). Not the physical hardware.
You are buying the license to use the firmware not to own it.

Back to the topic in hand.

Contact Taurus. Tell them they have two choices
(1) Return the firearm in the same condition as it was sent to them
Or
(2) Repair the firearm for a REASONABLE cost (ie FREE)

This is Taurus's position.
They can only send back firearms that meet their safety standards. This is the same reason that if you send a firearm back for repair that has a trigger job or non-factory internal parts, they will replace them with factory parts and return the non-factory parts.

Bonz
07-06-2015, 08:07 PM
That is why I always take stuff like that to a trusted LOCAL gun smith. To heck with mfg warranty! Worth less than the paper they are written on. A local smith probably could have fixed it for a hundred bucks.

sad but true...

jonp
07-07-2015, 07:22 AM
Ive bought a couple of tauri in the last few years including a 1911 for under $400. Ambi thumb safety, novak sights etc. Runs all ammo no jams. Guess ive gotten lucky

30calflash
08-02-2015, 09:52 AM
The OP hasn't been back on this since the original posting. I wish I'd seen this sooner.

A friend purchased a Taurus M441? 44 special revolver, used some time ago. It had been at the LGS once before he purchased it.

It had some type of functioning issue, can't recall now. Called and got the authorization to return for repair. Months go by, he gives them a call and gets " Sorry, the problem cannot be fixed as we no longer have parts to do so. Old model revolver, yada yada yada.

Friend "OK, just send it back and I'll see what I can have done elsewhere."

Taurus "Sorry, we cannot return something with that type of issue."

Friend, "Well, you can't so I'll see what a local gunsmith can do."

Taurus, "Sorry, we've DESTROYED your revolver! Potential liability issue, company policy"

Things got dicey at this point, Taurus offered credit towards another product, no dice. It went round and round a couple months before he got in touch with a VP there. He ended up with a Taurus 1911 9mm pistol and squeezed them for extra mags, which he received. So, it ended up Ok from his point of view.

Seems to be their way of handling their own broken product. Unfortunately it's not a toaster and with the laws constantly changing in some areas the owner may not be able to get a replacement, legally.

If Taurus wants to offer another item in lieu of what was sent, tell them you want a S&W M57 to replace it. A company that may not offer a forever warranty but will fix it if it needs to be fixed, and return it to the original owner.

That should get their attention!

DanLee
08-08-2015, 04:49 PM
I bought a Taurus 66 (a clone of the S&W 19) back in the early 1980s. Shot it for a couple years until the screw holding the rear sight broke off. Contacted Taurus and they sent a return label and paid shipping both ways. I was happy. But that was then.

Ric-san
01-11-2016, 02:28 AM
I'm curious to know how this was/ will be resolved as I have a Taurus PT-92 with a frame crack...makes me wonder what to expect...

toallmy
01-11-2016, 07:33 AM
Can anyone suggest a reputable pistolsmith that can work on a Taurus. In my rural area all the shops just say send it back to Taurus. I don't mind paying for the repair , but would like to get it fixed. I live in sort of the sticks ,so I will ship it. I understand it will probably cost more than it's worth ,but not to me. Please point me in the right direction I am in Virginia. Thanks

Petrol & Powder
01-11-2016, 09:01 AM
toallmy - don't know if you've contacted them yet but BC Gunworks is close to you.
http://baysidecustomgunworks.com/

pietro
01-11-2016, 11:47 AM

I've taken the step of averting a Taurus repair - I won't buy one in the first place.

NavyVet1959
01-11-2016, 11:59 AM
I have around 6 different Taurus models that I can remember off the top of my head -- some semi-autos and some revolvers. I've never had a problem with any of them. Some I got new, some were used -- no problem with any of them. I guess any manufacturer can have good days and bad days. Maybe I've just been lucky.

I also own Sigs, Colts, Kimbers, S&Ws, Glocks, RIAs, and others. I've had good luck with all of them. Maybe I just do not abuse my firearms like some people do?

freebullet
01-11-2016, 02:02 PM
In my experience buying a Taurus and expecting a nice gun is like going to McDonald's & expecting a top notch t-bone. Ain't gunna happen!
Even if you get one that works someday somewhere it will fail you due to low quality parts & poor fittment.

I owned several of them. The only one I've kept is an M85 in ss with a ported bbl. This is one of their most popular guns. It has a design flaw that allows you to lock the action by manipulation of the trigger & hammer. I've had a good local gunsmith look it over. That's how it's designed was his conclusion.

Don't feel to bad getting duped in to one. Colt is no better for 2 or 3 times the money. Won't buy a new one from them either. Its not worth it.

If you want a steak make sure that's what your getting BEFORE you buy it. If your happy with Mcdonald then by all means....enjoy!

toallmy
01-11-2016, 02:39 PM
I thank you petrol & powder , will try them.

Walkingwolf
01-11-2016, 04:04 PM
We have a Rossi 352, the gun has functioned perfectly for years. Rossi is part of the Taurus company.

I have looked at several Taurus, and checked them for function, just have not bought one yet. I am more interested in the Rossi six shot 3 inch snub if it ever appears again. I see plenty of the two inch versions.

One thing to keep in mind is that we will always hear more complaints that raves about guns. Most people who are satisfied just do not make noise about it.

454PB
01-11-2016, 04:29 PM
I've written before about my adventure with Taurus. I own three.....a 441 .44 Special, a model 66 .357 magnum, and a .454 Raging Bull. Not long after I bought the .454, I began to have a problem with the cylinder flying open in recoil. I contacted Taurus, they said send it in, but no mention of paying the shipping. It cost me $55 as I recall (this has been about 15 years ago). After about 3 months, I began nagging them......where's my gun? I finally got it back, nearly 5 months later.

The sad part is that I really like these guns, the RB is extremely accurate, as are the other two. However, I would never send one back to Taurus for repair. If it can't be repaired locally, it can't be repaired.

I also own a Hipoint .40 pistol......much hated and maligned by most, but from what I've read, they have a "no questions asked" warranty policy.

skeettx
01-11-2016, 04:35 PM
On 05-26-2015, 02:59 PM
Nomadnailer posted one time about a concern
No other updates
Anyone got data on how this went down?

Mike

labradigger1
01-11-2016, 04:45 PM
On 05-26-2015, 02:59 PM
Nomadnailer posted one time about a concern
No other updates
Anyone got data on how this went down?

Mike
Last I heard Taurus had not returned his revolver and he is still nowhere with them.

30calflash
01-12-2016, 02:40 PM
I'm curious to know how this was/ will be resolved as I have a Taurus PT-92 with a frame crack...makes me wonder what to expect...

I think if it's still currently made, or not too long ago discontinued AND it's a non critical part (frame, cylinder, slide) AND you don't mind waiting several months you should get your firearm back.

All of the positive responses have been on relatively minor problems. Friends have sent items back for repair with variable results.

Lloyd Smale
01-12-2016, 05:53 PM
I wouldn't buy a pack of bubble gum from tarrus.

toallmy
01-12-2016, 08:12 PM
It's a no on reparing a Taurus at Bayside custom gun works . Can anyone recommend a pistolsmith that can and will work on a Taurus . I am in Virginia, but don't mind shipping.

NavyVet1959
01-13-2016, 01:15 AM
It's a no on reparing a Taurus at Bayside custom gun works . Can anyone recommend a pistolsmith that can and will work on a Taurus . I am in Virginia, but don't mind shipping.

Just finding a gunsmith who will do something more than just bolt parts onto ARs is getting difficult.

Lonegun1894
01-13-2016, 02:06 AM
When I asked my local gunsmith if he would work on my Taurus that I used to have, and while Taurus was giving me the runaround on if they'd fix it, I was told that he could fix it, but the problem was that it would cost me, the repair wouldn't last, and then I would still have a lousy gun and possibly a grudge against a friend, so between those and him just refusing "to polish a turd", he wouldn't touch that old revolver of mine. He also said he didn't know anyone else who would work on it cause he had spoken to several other gunsmiths that had fixed Taurus guns, just to have to fix them over and over again, and finally getting accused of intentionally messing the guns up and being given the option of either buying the broken gun from the customer or getting sued, so that reputation is also out there for the Taurus handguns. According to him, the only quality gun Taurus makes is the 1892 levergun, and he advised inspecting even those carefully, just in case. But he said at least with those, there are enough parts available and they are close enough to a real Winchester that the available parts either fit, or can be made to fit, and you will have a good rifle.

freebullet
01-13-2016, 02:40 AM
If the Taurus experience doesn't sound fun you may wanna stay away from mossberg, kel tec, taurus, & hi point Ime. Unless it's a truck gun or something where it won't be shot often it probably won't last imo.

toallmy
01-13-2016, 07:38 AM
I thought the old Taurus was a S/W knock off , are some of the parts the same . I am going to go dig the old Taurus out of closet and see what model it is .

JNG3
01-13-2016, 10:19 PM
I've had to deal with CS from Ruger, HiPoint, Mossberg, Remington, Lee, Excalibur, and Traditions. All companies went out of their way to solve the issue. Even when the problem was my own fault (which I admitted to freely). Had to deal with CS with Savage, RCBS, PSE, CVA, and Taurus/Rossi. CS was rude and or problem was never corrected. And with these companies the issue was not my fault. Other than RCBS I don't purchase products from these companies anymore. My own Taurus headache was real nightmare. NEVER again, EVER!

waksupi
01-13-2016, 11:10 PM
I've had to deal with CS from Ruger, HiPoint, Mossberg, Remington, Lee, Excalibur, and Traditions. All companies went out of their way to solve the issue. Even when the problem was my own fault (which I admitted to freely). Had to deal with CS with Savage, RCBS, PSE, CVA, and Taurus/Rossi. CS was rude and or problem was never corrected. And with these companies the issue was not my fault. Other than RCBS I don't purchase products from these companies anymore. My own Taurus headache was real nightmare. NEVER again, EVER!

Strange, I called RCBS last week for a replacement part, and it's on the way, no charge.

JNG3
01-14-2016, 09:39 AM
My call to RCBS had nothing to do with a warranty issue. I called asking for advice on how best to correct some difficulties I was having concerning one of their die sets. CS rep could of cared less. I eventually figured it out on my own, but not after ruining many pieces of brass. I still buy stuff from them (generally top notch stuff!) but regard their CS as worthless.

30calflash
01-14-2016, 02:46 PM
My understanding is Taurus doesn't supply parts in general. Not from personal experience.

I just scanned thru a couple listings, both revolver and SA, for Taurus parts at Gunparts and there seems to be a fair selection there. Some items are sold out.

toallmy
01-15-2016, 08:43 AM
Some of the things I take apart never go back together. In the early 80s I started working on my car , and somehow the motor ended up in the trunk all in pieces. The fella at the shop told me it wouldn't have cost as much to have it tuned up , rather than putting it back together. I am one of them kind of people.

Tackleberry41
01-15-2016, 08:54 AM
I wonder since Taurus is a Brazillian company, is this just the way things are done there? For us here in the states our only exposure to not supplying parts or timely repairs is Taurus/Rossi. Maybe thats the way it is for everything in Brazil, it breaks you toss it and buy a new one?

toallmy
01-15-2016, 09:21 AM
I am afraid that is the way of the world now. It seems as if you are suppose to throw stuff in the trash , and get another one . But it does not set well with me , I guess I'm gitting to be an old man now. What happened to skilled labor ?

Tackleberry41
01-15-2016, 10:48 AM
Skilled labor is almost a unicorn anymore. Now its all about shareholder value, there do not seem to be any other considerations including making a decent product. Its all about bonuses for the guys at the top. I keep hearing advertisements for Gibson guitars hiring here in Nashville. Theres a reason they can't find anybody to work for them, they just refuse to see the issue. Skilled workers expect to be paid for it. Since they don't want to pay for the skills, they cant hire anybody who is skilled. Quality suffers, but who cares as long as product is moving, and the checks are rolling in. Well until the place collapses and they declare bankruptcy again. Credit holders and employees get the shaft, guy at the top gets a bonus, so guess the system works fine.

As I was explaining to someone other day about being a tech on cars. The dealerships just cant see the problem, why there is a shortage of techs, all they get now is new guys fresh out of school. Guys they can pay garbage, who are desperate enough to take the wages. But only for so long. Like me they shift from dealer to dealer looking for a decent paycheck, only to find its the same everywhere. The old guys are retiring or burning out, the new guys are quitting. Yet they simply fail to understand, if you want good techs, you have to pay them for their skills and tools. They want $20 an hour work for $10 an hour pay. Last dealership I worked for, was owed by a big corporation, their only goal was profit. The manager to get his numbers has to screw someone, customers or employees, why not both. There I was working on Mercedes for McDonalds pay. They did not give raises...ever. Sure they told you that to get you in the door, the guys in the shop laughed. They told me how they got a raise after 5 yrs, they all walked out and refused to come back until they got some money. Friend of mine has worked at the same dealer for 30 yrs, he makes less now than he did 10 yrs ago, 1/2 as much. I doubt his bills have gone down that much. But the guy at the top is doing good, so whats the issue?

foxhole
01-15-2016, 11:52 AM
I purchased a tracker .44 mag a while back. after a few hundred rounds it started shaving the bullets and locking up. I sent it back to Taurus at a wopping $99 for ups shipping. In about 3 weeks they returned it without notice on my door step with nobody home. They seem to have fixed the problems, I may have 100 down the pipe since the repair. I always have liked Taurus and have owned a .44 Raging Bull, .44 Tracker, .454-45LC-.410 Raging Judge magnum,a pt111 millinum pro in 9mm and 2 more in .40 S&W, this was the first and last problem I had with Taurus. I am fairly happy over all.

mold maker
01-15-2016, 01:48 PM
[QUOTE=texassako;3262688]There are several companies reinterpreting your purchase of an item to mean you are only buying the use of the product and not the product itself. I hope Taurus is not trying to head down this path.[/QUOTE

Well They better honor a life time none limited warranty cause thats how long I intend to use it. Then I intend to transfer its use to my kin.

30calflash
01-15-2016, 08:15 PM
My prior posts are for informational purposes, not trying to talk anyone from acquiring what they want. I don't own any Taurus products but have looked at several different ones at various times.

I do know folks that have Taurus products and are happy with them. A friend on mine has a few of them and some have gone back for repair, he has always gotten them back and seems satisfied with them.

FWIW other US manufacturers of firearms are and have been starting to renege on warranty claims, even when using factory ammo. Major structural failure incidents, not minor stuff.

rbstern
01-20-2016, 08:38 PM
Taurus problems are getting worse, not better. Right now, because of a firing pin passive safety design defect in many of their semi-auto designs (Millenium, 24/7, 6xx series, Pro models), they are facing the fallout of a major class action suit settlement and have a tough road ahead. The class action allows that there may be more than 200,000 defective pistols that need to be repaired or replaced. Taurus isn't famous for fast turnaround under normal circumstances, and that many pistols to inspect/repair/replace won't help. According to the proposed settlement, liability is capped at $30 million. That's a big pile of cabbage for a gun mfr.

I hope they survive it, but there's no way would I buy a Taurus under the current circumstances.

Geezer in NH
01-22-2016, 06:09 PM
Like I posted before After a couple hundred Taurus CS problems my shop dropped them. After I retired and sold they still do not offer them.

The OP probably dropped out after the Taurus apologizer/users posted.

toallmy
01-22-2016, 08:51 PM
I would still like to find a gun smith to work on my Taurus revolver. I understand making the parts and fitting will cost more than the gun is worth , but it's worth it to me. Thanks for some information if possible.

NavyVet1959
01-22-2016, 09:20 PM
I would still like to find a gun smith to work on my Taurus revolver. I understand making the parts and fitting will cost more than the gun is worth , but it's worth it to me. Thanks for some information if possible.

Finding a gunsmith that will do anything other than bolt on parts to ARs and Glocks these days is difficult enough... Don't hold your breath... :)

clum553946
02-01-2016, 08:14 AM
I wonder if the op got the issue resolved?

dubber123
02-01-2016, 08:58 AM
I thought the old Taurus was a S/W knock off , are some of the parts the same . I am going to go dig the old Taurus out of closet and see what model it is .

To the best of my nowledge, the only parts on a Taurus that are the same as S&W is the shared model #'s. No parts interchange.

My brother is a gunsmith, and has fixed/attempted to fix a few Taurus revolvers. The big issue is the parts are intentionally left undersized to minimize fitting. This basically amounts to a gun that is at least partially worn out when new. If you get one with too many parts on the small side, it won't function even when new. Yes we dealt with one of those, it was one of the Mod 85 snubs. It would bind up tight, due to the slop between all the parts. If it is simply a matter of excessive clearances, it is possible just replacing the worn parts may get your revolver running again. Finding spares on an out of production gun can be problematic though.

labradigger1
02-01-2016, 02:10 PM
I wonder if the op got the issue resolved?

The OP is my BIL, last I heard nothing had been done yet.

clum553946
02-02-2016, 04:51 AM
Hopefully it will work out, keeping his gun is just plain wrong! Pretty sure it's illegal too without any compensation.