PDA

View Full Version : When to remove bullets from NSAF, parchment paper, silicon mat

Walter Laich
05-26-2015, 11:42 AM
In my quest to be all I can be...
I was wondering when you remove your bullets:
while they are still warm or after they are cool to the touch
or does it matter

Love Life
05-26-2015, 12:24 PM
Try each way.

Jupiter7
05-26-2015, 12:36 PM
I do it immediately from oven, they just fall off. I use a leather work glove.

bangerjim
05-26-2015, 12:37 PM
I cool them in front of my evap cooler. They are totally cool and they just fall off the NSAF.

If they are HOT, you could damage the coating and still have sticking because the stuff stays "liquid" until it is well under 400F.

banger

twc1964
05-26-2015, 01:43 PM
I w s it until they are cool. Tht way, if you get any flashing, it is easier th snap off of the bases. When warm, the flashing is rubbery and harder to remove.

bangerjim
05-26-2015, 02:37 PM
I w s it until they are cool. Tht way, if you get any flashing, it is easier th snap off of the bases. When warm, the flashing is rubbery and harder to remove.

If you are getting "flash" using BBDT, your using way too much powder. I never get any flash with my standard one coat.

After 2-3 ESPC batches, flash does start to appear and I just replace the NSAF.

Can you say "spell checker"???????:kidding:

banger

Walter Laich
05-27-2015, 06:03 PM
Just got throughrunning a couple of tests on what sticks and what doesn’t

All bullets were allowed to cool before being removed—think this is the key

Silicon Mat: pro: nothing stuck; con: moves around on piece of flashing it sits on

Parchment paper: pro:again nothing stuck; con: wind blows it around until you get a couple ofbullets on it. Did tape it on andmasking tape is looking pretty brown and crispy.

NSAF: pro: againnothing stuck; con: the part folded under would get caught when I was pushingit on the wire rack. Taped it on andsame results as before—brown and crispy, we’ll see how long it will last.

Now have thissituation resolved; was just trying to remove them too quickly

bangerjim
05-27-2015, 07:38 PM
Just fold/roll/crimp the foil around the rungs and wrap it underneath. do NOT try to get it over the rungs that slide into the oven!!!!!!

I have never had that problem in many hundreds and hundreds of bake sessions with NASF.

Tape is not a good idea at 400F.

You forgot one con for silicone mat: PRICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

banger

rondog
05-27-2015, 08:13 PM
Does the flashing hurt anything? I just did a couple hundred .45 lrn's, and I sprayed them with a PC applicator gun. Came out beautiful, except for the flashing where they were sitting on the NSAF. Sizing them seems to knock most of it off.

Anybody have any good tips for spraying boolits on a cookie sheet covered with NSAF? I'm wondering about a way to elevate the boolits up a little to avoid the flashing issue. Only thing I can think of is putting a bunch of 1/4" nuts on the tray first, then put the bullets on the nuts. Sounds like a pita to me.

Markbo
05-27-2015, 08:32 PM
If you are getting "flash" using BBDT, your using way too much powder. I never get any flash with my standard one coat.

After 2-3 ESPC batches, flash does start to appear and I just replace the NSAF.

Can you say "spell checker"???????:kidding:

banger

I feel like an American in Greece. What is BBDT, ESPC & NSAF please?

RP
05-27-2015, 09:02 PM
Its hard for me to keep up with all the acronyms but if you look in the stickies in this forum you will see a post with them all posted so if you see something later you can always check there.

bangerjim
05-27-2015, 09:38 PM
Does the flashing hurt anything? I just did a couple hundred .45 lrn's, and I sprayed them with a PC applicator gun. Came out beautiful, except for the flashing where they were sitting on the NSAF. Sizing them seems to knock most of it off.

Anybody have any good tips for spraying boolits on a cookie sheet covered with NSAF? I'm wondering about a way to elevate the boolits up a little to avoid the flashing issue. Only thing I can think of is putting a bunch of 1/4" nuts on the tray first, then put the bullets on the nuts. Sounds like a pita to me.

Severe flash will rip the PC right off the back grease band and expose lead. Not good!!!!!

Yes sizing will knock off very MINOR flash, but I have seen bare lead lead after shoving thru a sizing die if the flash is thick enoug. That is why I change out the NSAF after 3 spray bakes. The stuff is very inexpensive.

Your "elevation" has been cussed and discussed many MANY times on here. Check the stickies for results. I do not do it because the boolits fall off and you are playing pick-up all the time.

banger

bangerjim
05-27-2015, 09:40 PM
I feel like an American in Greece. What is BBDT, ESPC & NSAF please?

It is in all the threads on powder coating and there is a sticky for definitions we all use all the time.

BBDT = air soft bb dry tumble

ESPC = electrostatic powder coating

NSAF = non-stick aluminum foil

brassrat
05-28-2015, 04:54 PM
I just had good luck with PP (parchment paper). The temp was a bit lower than 400* or whatever my TA (toaster oven). I let the 2 trays cool off completely, no sticking. I also got some kind of fair coating with HF (Harbor Freight) black-matte, using acetone. It will not stand up to very much heat, without bubbling up, into a huge mess. It has also coated, with just dry time. Many boolets got melted and the latest batch may only look OK. Can't wait to make a powder order.

bangerjim
05-28-2015, 05:15 PM
GD. I am GYGITW. PP that is.

(he...he)

Walter Laich
05-28-2015, 06:51 PM
GD. I am GYGITW. PP that is.

(he...he)
Twiggy????

bangerjim
05-28-2015, 07:12 PM
GD = god deal

GYGITW - glad you got it to work

Ronnie Dale
05-28-2015, 07:17 PM
With the gun the only way I found to eliminate flash is transferring the coated bullets from the foil to parchment paper.

To ramp up production I dump the bullets into a tub of water immediately after removal from the oven.

That way I can begin loading my tray with the next already coated batch.