PDA

View Full Version : Article on Jim Harvey's Jugular bullet (Guns magazine, May 1956)

ohland
05-26-2015, 09:26 AM
Been a bit of confusion between the Prot-X-Bore boolit, which used a zinc washer, and the Jugular, which was a lead "core" swaged into a copper jacket.

Here is an article written at the time that the Jugular was released...

"Most Deadly Bullet" by Kent Bellah, Guns Magazine, May 1956 Pages 19-21, 45
http://www.gunsmagazine.com/1956issues/G0556.pdf

Loads for the "Jugular X-press" using a 117 grain bullet are on page 45.

"loads are in the pressure range of highpower rifles and charges should be carefully weighed. They should not be used in any gun not designed for such pressures, or one that is not in good mechanical condition. An undersize bore can raise pressure and if you have any doubt about the bore diameter it should be slugged and miked. If you have a yen to increase the charges, you are on your own. There will be no improvement and the gun may shake loose. Those loads can get truly hotter than a pistol. The 2400 charges are already lightly compressed and a small increase can cause more trouble than keeping a mistress."

wonderwolf
05-29-2015, 02:24 PM
I wonder if the confusion has come from the little "nipple" shown at the base of the jugular's pictured in the article, I've never seen or shot jugulars but I've always been lead to believe a soft swagged SWCHP in a cup that covers most of its bearing surface is pretty much a Jugular in nature.