PDA

View Full Version : What powder

madmike
03-19-2008, 01:49 PM
I have been using unique for my 40s&w 45 acp and 380 I only have been casting for the 40 and 45 I think the speeds are fine so I dont lead up the barrell But Wow is it dirty and Smokes up the indoor range Is there a better choice:roll:

Frank V
03-19-2008, 02:26 PM
Madmike, I have been using Hodgdons Titegroup & it's a cleaner burning powder than Unique. I also like WW231, but Haven't tried it in the 40 S&W, but the burning rate is very similar to Unique. Maybe others will have more suggestions. Hope this helps Frank.

EMC45
03-19-2008, 02:34 PM
Titegroup, Bullseye.

xtimberman
03-19-2008, 03:34 PM
Unique shouldn't be that dirty in .380 and .40S&W - maybe a little more crud in the .45acp, but nothing to really fuss about. I dearly love Unique and tend to ignore the graphite/carbon residue because of that, but I like WSF for autopistol cals. in this range, too.

The smoking is something else. I bet the smoking has more to do with your bullet lube than it does with Unique. You might want to try one of the harder waxy lubes. I'm experimenting with switching my lubes from old-school Alox-based lubes (Javelina and others) to a couple of the newer ones right now (Lars Red and Rooster) and I'm getting much less smoke with no change in gunpowders and charge weights. They do smoke less, but I haven't made up my mind about whether they are superior bullet lubricants, though.

xtm

AlaskaMike
03-19-2008, 04:34 PM
Madmike, what kind of bullets are you shooting? If you're casting them yourself, when you size and lube them make sure you wipe any and all lube off the bases. If you're buying commercially cast bullets it shouldn't be a problem, but probably something to check just to be sure. When I first started casting my own I didn't know to wipe the lube off the bases, and those loads smoked like blackpowder.

While most of my smoke problems were lube related, I can definitely say that Unique does smoke more than some powders. In my experience Clays is one of the cleanest powders out there. I think it's a little too fast burning for .40 S&W, so I'd recommend Power Pistol for that caliber.

Mike

bobthenailer
03-19-2008, 06:54 PM
i used bulleyse for years, but switched to tightgroup for the same level loads, from 32 acp to 454 casull , usually most velocities arent much over 1000fps

GSPKurt
03-19-2008, 10:33 PM
I have been using unique for my 40s&w 45 acp and 380 I only have been casting for the 40 and 45 I think the speeds are fine so I dont lead up the barrell But Wow is it dirty and Smokes up the indoor range Is there a better choice:roll:

:Fire:I only use Hodgdon Universal Clays for my .40 & .45. Very clean.:Fire:

runfiverun
03-20-2008, 02:09 AM
universal is the clean substitute for unique

but i just use titegroup

madmike
03-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Thanks for all the info I did not know about wiping off the lube on the base will the lube on the base hurt anything or just smoke??

xtimberman
03-21-2008, 09:36 PM
Soft bullet lube left on the base of the bullet can contaminate some of the powder it comes in contact with - especially in warm weather and when the reloads are left in a hot vehicle.

xtm