PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 1892 feeding problem

texassako
05-25-2015, 10:06 PM
I have been cleaning up my new to me Win '92 in .38 WCF. It is clean now and a couple of messed up screws are all that I have replaced. I tried to run some dummy rounds through it tonight and they come out of the magazine tube onto the lifter, the lifter raises them, and then they seem to dip as I cycle the action closed and hit the barrel about a 1/3 of the way up the flat of the nose(RCBS 40-170-FN). I tried a second bullet with a smaller flat(actually was pointy, filed it flat to test and make OAL) and it hits as well. Any suggestions on why they are doing this would be appreciated.

pietro
05-25-2015, 10:28 PM

If the cartridge guides are OK, it sounds like something might be amiss with the lifter, since it's evidently not staying in the fully-raised position long enough to properly feed the cartridge after the bolt is moved forward towards battery/lock-up.

TXGunNut
05-25-2015, 10:33 PM
Try cycling it a bit more decisively (or smartly, as the oldtimers say) but it could be that something has gotten a little tired during this rifle's lifetime. The parts diagrams on the Numrich site may be helpful, as may a detail stripping and cleaning.

Artful
05-25-2015, 10:43 PM
http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/images/winchester-1892-src-saddle-ring-carbine-38-44-wcf-antique-pre-1898-collectible-firearms-auction/winchester-1892-src-saddle-ring-carbine-38-44-wcf-antique-pre-1898-collectible-firearms-auction-22.jpg

Did you try factory 38-40 ammo?
Did it function before you cleaned it?
You are making sure you move the lever the full cycle to make a complete run forward to lift up carrier correctly
for the shell for chambering. Have you check for parts wear - you say new to you - what is the year of mfg?

http://www.rarewinchesters.com/images/Exploded%20Views/1886%20Exploded%20View.jpg

texassako
05-25-2015, 11:10 PM
Did you try factory 38-40 ammo? Yes, to be sure it was not my dummy cartridges.
Did it function before you cleaned it? Not sure since it was to filthy internally to try, it was supposedly checked by a gunsmith by the PO but they cheated the PO if it really was checked.
You are making sure you move the lever the full cycle to make a complete run forward to lift up carrier correctly
for the shell for chambering. Yes, I am cycling it fully. It cocks and is as far as the lever will go.
Have you check for parts wear - you say new to you - what is the year of mfg? I checked as much as I could for wear. The pin holding the finger lever to the bolt was frozen; so I could not remove the internals other than the hammer and lower tang assembly. It ejects well and the cartridge guides look fine and the cartridge stop spring is good. It is an original 1892 mfg date that has seen a lot of abuse; so there could be wear in there that I could not see without a full disassembly.

I have figured out that it feeds well turned sideways, where gravity can't make the lifter fall that fraction of an inch.

texassako
05-26-2015, 12:20 AM
I may have figured it out. There is a spring loaded carrier stop pin that looks like it is supposed to fit in a dimple in the side of the receiver. It is either worn, the spring is worn out, or just gummed up with dirt because it wobbles around in that dimple giving me the droop. Now to figure out why the lever pin will not come out so I can get everything out.

I found a work around for now. If I push on the loading gate while closing the action, it will feed a round properly. Is the loading gate supposed to give the carrier spring some tension?

Artful
05-26-2015, 10:59 PM
Is the loading gate supposed to give the carrier spring some tension?

Not that I know of. Put some penetrating oil on the pin daily and give it a tap twice a day and wait until the weekend.