PDA

View Full Version : Lee Perfect Powder Measure & Promo/Red Dot @3.0 grains

fireflyfather
03-19-2008, 12:19 PM
I'm thinking of investing in a Lee Perfect Powder Measure. The problem is that I only use red dot and promo. The flake powders won't meter accurately in a bushing-type measure, I know. Will they measure ok in a drum-type measure, even with a small charge weight? We're talking like 0.4 cc or even less for promo. When I load 38 spc, I want to be able to use a measure instead of scoops, so I can have more flexibility in my loads (my only scoop of the proper size is just right for a max load. I don't really like that.)

Anyone know if it will meter ok with flake powders?

twotoescharlie
03-19-2008, 06:04 PM
I havebeen using one of these for close to ten years, after break-in they will throw anykind of powder, have just about quit using my lyman measure for anything.

TTC

texas tenring
03-19-2008, 06:24 PM
I have had nothing but good luck with mine. You can't go wrong with the Lee perfect measure, accurate and cheap. As with any powder measure technique is important in getting accurate charges, every throw has to be the same if you tap on one you have to tap on every one etc.

texas tenring
03-21-2008, 01:01 AM
Fireflyfather

Just another note:

I have not loaded with the powders you mentioned, but I have loaded a lot of Alliant 2400 which is a very fine powder. The Lee Perfect Powder measure does well with the fine powder but it does cut powder accasionally. It still thows consistant charges, I have used a Redding powder measure and it is no different. I think where the Lee powder measure excels is in the long stick powders used in rifle loads, it rareley cuts powder and is very consistant and thats where it will shine compared to the exspensive steel models.

That is my experience!

cbr
03-21-2008, 01:39 AM
I have one and it seems to meter very well with anything I have tried in it. The only thing I dont like is it leaks a little when I use fine powders like titegroup, and 231 leaks a little too. Anybody else have problems with them leaking?

Lloyd Smale
03-21-2008, 05:32 AM
I can tell you it doesnt meter well in a bonanza a rcbs a lyman or a dillon measurer. Nice thing about the stuff is even if its off a half a grain i still get good accuracy.

C A Plater
03-21-2008, 06:48 AM
I only use the Lee for stick powders. It does ok with the flake powders too but fine ball type powder leaks all over the bench and that annoys me greatly. I mostly use a Lyman 55 with a baffle for nearly everything else except for a now discontinued Bonanza Bullseye measure for certain pistol loads.

USARO4
03-21-2008, 09:27 AM
I have 2 of them and use them for many different ball and flake powders including Red Dot. With Red Dot I get a variation of + or - .05 grains on small charges. Accuracy is increased by using a powder baffle and keeping the measure over half full. I also have retired my trusty Lyman 55 (also very accurate) after buying the Lees. Oops, I just re-read your post, I have the Lee Pro Auto Disk not the Perfect PM. I believe the use the same type of metering system so I hope this is helpfull.

Hip's Ax
03-21-2008, 10:12 AM
The Lee PPM was my first measure, I bought it when I was still in school and didn't have much jingle in my pocket. It was a BIG step up from the teaspoon I had been using. :roll:

I used it for a couple of years. I then bought a Lyman 55 which I used for several years and last year I bought a Harrel's.

I only used the Lee for rifle powder, both stick and ball. The ball powder would leak out of the rotating assembly a little and I'd have to clean it up afterward. Stick powder would get caught in the rotating assembly and cause binding.

I will say though, I loved having it at the time.

GrizzLeeBear
03-22-2008, 08:09 PM
My Lee PPM always worked well with Unique, so I would expect it would work with Red Dot and Promo. The Lee PPM is a good measure and you aren't going to beat it price wise.