PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Sizing Wax.. Anyone else using it?

pdgraham
10-04-2005, 08:15 PM
I'm had the same small can of Imperial Sizing Wax for 6 years... looks like I just used about 1/4 of it.. At the rate I'm using it I'll have it for 18 more years

I would imagine I've used it on 2500+ rounds of 30-06, 308 and 44-40..

This stuff lasts forever..

Anyone else here using this stuff..??.. it's awesome...

Any world records for how long a little can of this lasts?

trooperdan
10-04-2005, 08:54 PM
Darn it! Now you've told everyone how good this stuff is and they'll all want some! I use it and love it, usually just dab it on with my fingers... "A little dab w'l do ya.."

Willbird
10-04-2005, 08:58 PM
What I'm wondering is if it is just anhydrous lanolin ?? BTW I love it too

Bill

Shepherd2
10-04-2005, 10:43 PM
My can is probably 9 or 10 years old and I've used about 1/3 of it. I think it may have some lanolin in it. I haven't used anything else since I first started using it. It's the best.

bascom32423
10-04-2005, 11:15 PM
It's the best thing since sliced bread! Haven't used anything else since I discovered it. Easy to apply and, better yet, easier to remove.

Henry

Buckshot
10-05-2005, 01:17 AM
...........I use it, but mostly an RCBS case lube pad. However, for heavy duty re-sizing where the regular stuff fails miserably, the Imperial stuff makes it possible.

.............Buckshot

Rick N Bama
10-05-2005, 04:47 AM
I've had a can for about 2 years now and it's about 3/4 gone. Am I using too much? I use it for case forming and when I just have a few cases to FL size, "a few" being ~20 or less.

Rick

STP
10-05-2005, 05:49 AM
I had been using Ray`s Gun Wax for years for resizing duties and thought it was adequate. This summer I had my local gunshop order a tin of the Imperial wax, Imperial Dry Neck Lube, Redding Type S-Bushing Neck Sizing die, .330 bushing, and Body die for 30-06 this year direct from Redding.
The die wax is amazing...a noticeable difference!

felix
10-05-2005, 10:44 AM
A mixture of anhydrous lanolin and mineral oil (baby oil) can be customized percentage wise to handle any sizing job, including swaging jacketed boolits. There are polymers around that can be used instead, but I don't know if these polymers can improve on the "ideal" stuff, except for maybe on cleanup duties. ... felix

utk
10-05-2005, 12:30 PM
I have a recipe with anhydrous lanolin and castor oil...

454PB
10-05-2005, 12:52 PM
I use ISDW, but found out that mink oil boot water proofing works just as well. I have a four ounce jar that cost less than $2. The brand name is "Smiling Mink". I used to use it to size .308 brass down to 22/250.This stuff also works as a cast bullet lube when mixed with beeswax.

felix
10-05-2005, 01:39 PM
Anything that has high viscosity will work. Otter oil should work quite well also, but I have never seen that. We are talking natural "hair" oils here. ... felix

mick27
10-06-2005, 09:06 AM
hey guys,

believe it or not, i just bought my 1st tin since 1984, a friend told me about way back then. i ordered a tin from LeClear Ind., i believe the orgininal company, and have never looked back. GREAT stuff!! resizing, reforming, no job too big!! I have a little left,but was afraid they might discountinue it, so i bought another, hope it's as good. This should last another 20+ years, maybe i'll buy one more (Midway has it), for a life time supply with enough left over to will to my grandkids..
use it sparingly,
mick27

Frank46
10-07-2005, 03:20 AM
pdgraham, i bought two tins almost 5 years ago cause I always seem to misplace one.
Have used it exclusively ever since. My old rcbs case lube pads and one remaining bottle of case lube are gathering dust. What i lkie about is that its easy to apply and remove. I use a q-tip when done to clean the dies. Remember Mr. Miyagi telling Daniel
"wax on, wax off. Frank

Scrounger
10-07-2005, 03:23 AM
pdgraham, i bought two tins almost 5 years ago cause I always seem to misplace one.
Have used it exclusively ever since. My old rcbs case lube pads and one remaining bottle of case lube are gathering dust. What i lkie about is that its easy to apply and remove. I use a q-tip when done to clean the dies. Remember Mr. Miyagi telling Daniel
"wax on, wax off. Frank

Karate Kid??

wmitty
10-11-2005, 12:50 PM
I tried to buy two cans at one time from the old gunsmith I hung around as a kid in the late sixties, he got mad and told me I only needed one can (he didn't want to haf'ta re-order). He was right; I've still got about 1/5 th of that origional can left- started using Lee's collet dies about 15 years ago and that cut usage way down. BTW, I never tried any other case lube - never saw the need.

Swagerman
10-16-2005, 10:32 AM
How about using it for swaging lead cast bullets...will it work for that?

Swagerman

Ken O
10-16-2005, 10:02 PM
The stuff is great! I touch my finger and thumb to the wax, and just picking up the cartrige and putting it in the press is enought to lube it. I touch the wax about every five rounds or so. I have all the other stuff on my shelf (RCBS lube pad, Hornady one shot, Dillon spray, etc. I've lubed about 3000 cases off this tin, and hardly a dent in it. I wonder how they stay in business, a tin would last for years.

Shepherd2
10-17-2005, 08:14 AM
A can lasts so long that I don't think it has ever been a big money maker for the makers. My old can is from the original maker (I think) E Z Way Systems in Newark, Ohio. I believe it's been sold at least twice since then. Let's just be thankful that someone keeps producing this great stuff. I may buy another can and put it away just so I'll be assured of having a lifetime supply.

Thirties
10-25-2005, 04:07 PM
"Anyone else here using this stuff..??.. it's awesome..."

Yes, you got that right.

G50-70
10-26-2005, 02:58 PM
I have been using this since the 80's. My can is from Le Clear Industries in Royal Oak MI and cost $1.50. I still have over half a can left. I have not used anything better.

BlueMoon
11-01-2005, 05:40 PM
How about using it for swaging lead cast bullets...will it work for that?

Swagerman

Lee's liquid alox may be better for that but I have started rubbing some Imperial on my first boolit into my Ly. lubisizer till things get lubed up a bit.

Bill

Headstamp
11-02-2005, 02:01 AM
Another excellent case lube especially for case forming is the Rooster CFL-56.

dmdracer
11-02-2005, 05:40 PM
I tried to buy some about 9 months ago from the gun show, no one had it but a guy had some Honaday Unique said it is about the same, well I bought a tub and wow, it works good and seems a little dab will do ya. Sounds just like the comments on the imperial wax. I'd recomend it if you can't find or run out of Imperial.
just an fyi :-D
Dave

Ken O
11-02-2005, 09:54 PM
Another use of the Imperial wax.... for the dreaded RCBS primer pocket swager (removing the military crimp). Rub a little on the swagger button occasionaly and it keeps you from lifting the bench up tring to pull it off the swag.

Newtire
12-01-2005, 08:17 PM
Sounds like I should get me a can of that stuff. I've always used plain old brake assembly lube. (NOT brake FLUID...This is the stuff you use to assemble rubber parts into brake & clutch cylinders). My last bottle cost around $3.00 or so and it'll handle any sizing situation. a little messy. I squirt a stream onto a piece of foam laid inside of a foglamp lense. Just a touch does it. Napa sells it too. So, soon as they run out, I'll order some Imperial.

Edward429451
12-01-2005, 10:47 PM
I'm getting towards the bottom of my third tin of ISDW in 10ish years? Case reforming, sizing but not for swaging. Got the AL for that.

OldBob
12-04-2005, 06:24 PM
I came, I read, I bought..............you're all right,its the best I've used yet.Thanks for the tip

C1PNR
12-04-2005, 08:18 PM
Howdy OldBob, and welcome to the menagerie!

Whereabouts in NY? I spent a while in Watertown, actually nearer Theresa, in the late 80's, building Fort Drum.

Very nice folks and a LOT of history. My next to favorite bar in Watertown sported NY State liquor license # 1.:wink:

bruce drake
12-05-2005, 01:00 AM
Curious myself as to your location. I live in Watertown NY and work on Ft. Drum as well. Shooting time is down due to the recent snows but I still get out to the Sportmen's Lodge on Co. Rte. 155 to sling lead.

Bruce [smilie=s:

OldBob
12-18-2005, 08:11 PM
"Howdy OldBob, and welcome to the menagerie!

Whereabouts in NY? I spent a while in Watertown, actually nearer Theresa, in the late 80's, building Fort Drum.

Very nice folks and a LOT of history. My next to favorite bar in Watertown sported NY State liquor license # 1."

Hey CN1PNR, sorry about late reply,just got back here. You were right in my backyard, I live in the Alexandria Bay area, used to hunt the Fort Drum area back when it was Camp Drum. Noticing in this thread there are a lot of Northern NY'ers. The long cold Winters are made for casting boolits......

Bruce Drake, I do most of my shooting at Thousand Islands Sportsmans club, just North of Redwood. We got 100yd. covered rifle and pistol range and a 35 station Sporting Clays course. Membership is $30 first year and $20/ year after that, unlimited useage, sporting clays is 9:00 AM every Sat.and 2ed/4th Sundays. Come on down and shoot with us.

David R
12-18-2005, 09:43 PM
Hey, I grew up in watertown. Right on the main drag between dowtown and the park.

We should have our own local cast boolit shoot for northern NY folks.

I would host the first one. I live in Western NY between Roch and Buffalo.

David

David R
12-18-2005, 09:46 PM
Dean?
Mick?
Tpr?

We could rent a local clubhouse with a fireplace. Just open the doors and shoot at the 25 yard range. I think it goes to 50.

bruce drake
12-19-2005, 12:57 PM
Bob,

I'll give you a call tonight reference the Thousand Islands Sportsmen Club.

David,

A cast bullet shoot might be interesting if we can ever get over this Lake Effect Snow. Let me know what we can do to get this get-together operating.

Bruce

David R
12-19-2005, 04:02 PM
I see some interest, I am going to start a new topic under competition.

David

Blackwater
12-19-2005, 11:26 PM
Re the Hornady Unique lube, I tried some several years ago, and dang near got a case stuck in my die. HOWEVER, I can't help but wonder if that wasn't due to all the RCBS sticky goo that's been in that die for so long? Maybe if I cleaned all the old RCBS stuff out, it'd work? Anybody got any insight on this?

Haven't had any trouble going from RCBS sticky goo to Lee water soluable case sizing lube, but the Unique grabbed and squeaked, and made sizing a real chore. Was it operator error in not getting the old stuff out?

versifier
12-20-2005, 12:30 AM
Blackwater,
I clean my sizing and seating dies regularly, usually just a dry qtip, but sometimes a larger swab with mineral spirits is needed. Sizing and bullet lubes do build up inside them over time, the newer ones less so than the older ones, but there's always some residue that gets crudded up. I have used the sticky goo and switched to the water soluble ones also, but any sizing lube eventually gets pushed up into and over the neck section, even if you aren't seeing the telltale shoulder dents from overlubing. Bullet lubes clog up the seater plugs - especially Liquid Alox, but harder lubes get shaved off and can build up, too, likewise rings of lead or gilding metal.
All kinds of stuff can get into them if they've been sitting idle for a while. This past summer I had a set of Lee .45ACP pistol dies in the red cylindrical box that was overhanging a bit off the back of the storage shelf in my shop. I grabbed it to use them and found that paper wasps had moved in and built condos. :holysheep I plunked it down quick on my Sierra manual and brought it outside, then tipped it over with a broom handle to evict the tenants. After dark, I went out and they had moved out, so I cleaned it all out. I keep meaning to buy some flat 3 and 4 die boxes... [smilie=1:

David R
12-20-2005, 07:35 AM
As far as the Hornady One shot lube, I didn't use enough and stuck an '06 case in the die. Bought a new die and switched to RCBS. A reloading buddy tells me I use too much sizing lube, but he has never stuck a case.

David

45 2.1
12-20-2005, 08:17 AM
Re the Hornady Unique lube, I tried some several years ago, and dang near got a case stuck in my die. HOWEVER, I can't help but wonder if that wasn't due to all the RCBS sticky goo that's been in that die for so long? Maybe if I cleaned all the old RCBS stuff out, it'd work? Anybody got any insight on this?

I used it for years. Get enough on the first case, once the die is lubricated good it works fine.

BABore
12-20-2005, 09:15 AM
I bought a tin of ISW a few months ago based on the positive info on this site. Tried it out on some 30'06 and 375 H&H cases. Worked great and was easy to wipe off.

I just got done with 250, 450 Marlin cases and ran into some difficulty. I was applying just a real light coat of ISW to the case and was getting some squeaks and squeals from my protesting Hornady sizing die. Tore it apart and gave it a good cleaning and a little lube. Still some protests. I lubed the cases heavier and it helped a bunch. Well I must have lubed one case a bit light and pulled the lips off. This was easily remedied and on I went.

I remembered Felix (I think) mentioning lanolin. Since I have a pound jar I gave it a shot. I put a little dab, about half a pea sized, on my finger and went to work. That little dab was used for 50+ cases. With just barely a film on the cases they sized twice as easy as ISW. It wipes off just about the same too. Other than that faint barnyard smell, my hands were real soft too. :grin:

chunkum
12-25-2005, 10:18 AM
I have never used anything but straight anhydrous lanolin for a sizing lube. Has anyone used both and is the "wax" preparation preferable? A little bit of the lanolin goes a long ways too. Never had a stuck case.
c.

Blackwater
12-25-2005, 11:20 PM
Somewhere in the dusty catacombs of my memory, don't I remember anhydrous lanolin being one of our best high temp/high pressure lubes? I've got a big dish of it for using to make BP lube, but have never tried it as sizing lube. Have plenty of the sizing stuff, and don't need to try it, but suspect I will when I finally use up all the lube I've ratpacked back.

felix
12-25-2005, 11:38 PM
Lanolin is excellent for extreme pressures, but low temps. ... felix

Ramsmacker
12-26-2005, 01:44 AM
Been using Imperial wax for over 20 yrs, on thousands of rounds. Can is only half empty. One light swipe through the can, rub it between thumb and forfinger, twist case between thumb and fingers does 5 cases then another swipe. Not sticky and wipes off the fingers very easy with paper towels. If I don't use enough lube cases start to squeak,so I add a little more, squeak goes away. Have never dented a case with Imperal but have with RCBS lube. This is the only lube I have on hand and see no reason to try anything else. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Mick

Cayoot
12-27-2005, 01:18 PM
What is a good source for this Imperial Wax?

StarMetal
12-27-2005, 01:26 PM
Midway has it for $8.29, unless you have a license, then it's cheaper. They do have a minimun order thought.

Might try looking at Grafs too.

Joe

Cayoot
12-27-2005, 01:28 PM
Thanks Joe!!!

I'm agonna do that. THis stuff sounds like it is worth trying!

StarMetal
12-27-2005, 01:42 PM
Grafs has it in two sizes $4.99 and $6.99 and I don't think they have a minimum order.

Joe

Cayoot
12-27-2005, 03:47 PM
Ok, Thanks again.

I am sooo there!

njmj
12-30-2005, 10:11 AM
Imperial sizing die lube works great. So does the stuff made by everyone else. I like the water soluble kinds best as it comes off with a damp rag. Marshall

onefunzr2
12-30-2005, 10:55 AM
Redding now distributes Imperial sizing die wax along with dry inside neck lube. Here is a link to all their mail order dealers:

http://www.redding-reloading.com/pages/mailorder.html

bisley45
01-01-2006, 10:18 PM
yes I love it I bought a can about 6 years ago and it is still 3/4 full

Chuck 100 yd
01-14-2006, 12:24 AM
Good stuff, Haven`t used any other since I discovered it!

rocklock
01-14-2006, 12:38 AM
Huh...I've been using it for quite a while, but only for case reforming.

Might have to start using it more.

j4570
01-23-2006, 07:36 PM
I use Imperial, when forming cases mainly. I also use it when loading just a few rounds.

Otherwise, I use Dillon or Midway Spray lube (which is lanolin I think).

I have other stuff around that came in kits or just plain didn't work that well.

Jason

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Oh yeah, all that and more. In an article I wrote several years back for Precision Shooting I made (on a dare) 22-250 cases out of WWII 30-06 brass, lost one out of forty-some I did. Also made some 22-250 in one pass from 7x57 easing it in and out. This stuff is the best ever!!

Rich

hpdrifter
02-05-2006, 02:42 PM
Is Hornady's Unique case sizing lube about the same stuff?

I've bbeen using that and it works great.

Dale53
02-05-2006, 03:54 PM
I have had good results from Imperial Wax, Pioneer's Case Lube, and Anhydrous Lanolin over the years. For difficult case forming tasks, it is difficult to beat STP (yep, the motor treatment stuff). STP must be removed with a solvent on a cloth (I use mineral spirits).

When loading bulk ammo, particularly large amounts of bottlenecked rifle cases, I tried a tip from, I believe, C.E. (Ed) Harris. You use a tube of Lee's water soluble case lube and dilute it 10/1 (here is where I am not absolutely sure) with water (10 parts water and 1 part Lee's Case Lube). I put it in a .50 caliber ammo can, and found a discarded fry basket that fit. I just dipped the basket loaded with cases, removed from the lube, shook the excess off while still in the basket and spread out on paper to let dry overnight. This lubes both the inside and the outside of the cases. I've never had such smooth full length sizing with NO drag felt from the expanding button. The dried lube (really a wax) has no effect on the powder as long as you make sure that they are dry inside.

If you have ever had to load several thousand cases for a prairie dog trip (I had the Dillon and loaded for myself and friends) you will truly appreciate this labor and time saving device.

Dale53

Shepherd2
02-05-2006, 05:24 PM
hpdrifter - I had some Hornady case lube that was like a wax in a small plastic tub. May be what you are asking about. It was Ok but I couldn't get excited about it. After I got a tin of Imperial Sizing Die Wax I eventually threw away the Hornady wax, the spray lubes, the lube pad. The only thing I like better is a carbide sizing die and I'll occasionally but a dap of ISDW on a case when I'm using them.

hpdrifter
02-05-2006, 09:57 PM
hpdrifter - I had some Hornady case lube that was like a wax in a small plastic tub. May be what you are asking about. It was Ok but I couldn't get excited about it. After I got a tin of Imperial Sizing Die Wax I eventually threw away the Hornady wax, the spray lubes, the lube pad. The only thing I like better is a carbide sizing die and I'll occasionally but a dap of ISDW on a case when I'm using them.

"Unique;Hornady wax in the tub" has been working good for me. I also dab a little on a case about every 6-8 resizes with a carbide die. Almost effortless. Maybe I should try some Imperial tho. Sounds gooooood.

Slowpoke
02-05-2006, 10:58 PM
When loading bulk ammo, particularly large amounts of bottlenecked rifle cases, I tried a tip from, I believe, C.E. (Ed) Harris. You use a tube of Lee's water soluble case lube and dilute it 10/1 (here is where I am not absolutely sure) with water (10 parts water and 1 part Lee's Case Lube). I put it in a .50 caliber ammo can, and found a discarded fry basket that fit. I just dipped the basket loaded with cases, removed from the lube, shook the excess off while still in the basket and spread out on paper to let dry overnight. This lubes both the inside and the outside of the cases. I've never had such smooth full length sizing with NO drag felt from the expanding button. The dried lube (really a wax) has no effect on the powder as long as you make sure that they are dry inside.

If you have ever had to load several thousand cases for a prairie dog trip (I had the Dillon and loaded for myself and friends) you will truly appreciate this labor and time saving device.

Dale53

The article is in Handloader 139, (Reloading for semi auto's) I thought it was a excellent treatise on production loading in general. I copied some of his methods and found it was no big deal to stay a year a head on ammo requirements and have a safe quality product to boot .

On the water soluble case lube diluted 10-1, if you are not going to prime right away you can also size wet.

good luck