PDA

View Full Version : Telescopic Sight Sharps 50/90

willdixon
03-19-2008, 10:08 AM
Gentlemen:

I DO hope I'm posting in the right place, but please correct me if I am not.

A couple of questions, please:

1. Can you make one of the old, original long scopes STAY ON a 50/90, without shaking loose from the recoil? I had a LOT of trouble with the scope shaking loose on my big .460 Weatherby Magnum.

2. When you're firing a 50/90 with the old scope, will the distance between the scope and your skull (eye index?) be great enough so you don't punch a hole in your forehead? A friend of mine had to have stitches in his eye brow after shooting my 460 Weatherby Magnum.

3. Do any of you personally own a 50/90 with an old scope?

4. One of the new ones is made in China; do you know the name of that scope company? My family and I lived in the PRC for some time, and I definitely would not knowingly buy a Chinese scope for a 50/90.

Thank you very much.

Gene

Boz330
03-19-2008, 11:41 AM
Gene, you might take a look at the MVA scopes, they slide in the mounts which helps prevent Weatherby eyebrow. The eye releifs that I have seen would be a problem in a fixed scope, 2 inches or less. The sliding scope also helps in keeping the mounts from shaking loose.
I bought one of the MVAs but it is going on a 40-65, haven't used it yet though.
One of the guys that I shoot with has a Lyman in Unertle sliding mounts on a 45-90. He has had problems with it but mostly of his own making. That scope is considerably heavier than the Malcoms and it is designed for a 22.
The Leatherwood scopes might be the ones made in China, but I don't know that for a fact. But they have gotten some good reviews.

Bob

Don McDowell
03-19-2008, 12:45 PM
I don't shoot scope, but I do have several friends that do. One of them has the MVA on his Shiloh 50-90 and it holds up just fine. He has all of his Shiloh's set up to take the scope should he decide to move it from one to the other.
The recoil impulse of the 50-90 is a lot different than that of the high pressure numbers such as that .460.

I don't know if Leatherwood has made any improvements in their mounts , but as of last year there were a couple of those that cracked by no more torque than a 45-70 puts out. The scope is fine, but the mounts needed to be a bit beefier.

If you order from Shiloh or CSA you can order the scope at the same time all mounted and ready to roll.

zipdog
03-19-2008, 01:23 PM
I have a Leatherwood scope, and I just confirmed with Hi-Lux Optics that it is made in China.

Boz330
03-19-2008, 01:48 PM
I don't shoot scope, but I do have several friends that do. One of them has the MVA on his Shiloh 50-90 and it holds up just fine. He has all of his Shiloh's set up to take the scope should he decide to move it from one to the other.
The recoil impulse of the 50-90 is a lot different than that of the high pressure numbers such as that .460.

I don't know if Leatherwood has made any improvements in their mounts , but as of last year there were a couple of those that cracked by no more torque than a 45-70 puts out. The scope is fine, but the mounts needed to be a bit beefier.

If you order from Shiloh or CSA you can order the scope at the same time all mounted and ready to roll.

A buddy of mine just got a set of their mounts for a Tasco. He said the new heavy mounts are pretty stout.

Bob

Don McDowell
03-19-2008, 01:54 PM
Bob that's good to hear, as the optics seemed pretty decent, but it was sure sad to see a fellers good sting go to pot in the middle of a match, because the mount cracked.

willdixon
03-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Hi Boz, Don and zipdog -

Thank you very much for your great help. That is precisely the information I needed to make an informed decision about the scope on my upcoming 50/90.

Thanks again!

Gene

Don McDowell
03-19-2008, 04:45 PM
Gene you might want to pop over to www.bpcr.net, and post some questions in general discussion forum . My frien Kurt will likely chime in to give plenty of good info on the 50-90. He shoots about 600 rounds out of his the week before the Quigley match, and him, the rifle and the scope all go home happy.

willdixon
03-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Thank you very much, Don!

Gene

e15cap
03-19-2008, 09:46 PM
Get over to the Shiloh Forum and you can read all you ever wanted about BPCR and scopes
Roger

Johnw...ski
03-21-2008, 07:37 AM
Gentlemen:

I DO hope I'm posting in the right place, but please correct me if I am not.

A couple of questions, please:

1. Can you make one of the old, original long scopes STAY ON a 50/90, without shaking loose from the recoil? I had a LOT of trouble with the scope shaking loose on my big .460 Weatherby Magnum.

2. When you're firing a 50/90 with the old scope, will the distance between the scope and your skull (eye index?) be great enough so you don't punch a hole in your forehead? A friend of mine had to have stitches in his eye brow after shooting my 460 Weatherby Magnum.

3. Do any of you personally own a 50/90 with an old scope?

4. One of the new ones is made in China; do you know the name of that scope company? My family and I lived in the PRC for some time, and I definitely would not knowingly buy a Chinese scope for a 50/90.

Thank you very much.

Gene

Hi Gene,

I have used a Lyman Super Target Spot in the past on several 45-70's with no ill effects. As I recall I set the recoil spring an inch or so behind the stop so there was some free travel before the spring was contacted. It probably wasn't necessary but it didn't hurt and the scope never had any problems.

Another nice feature is if the scope does contact your eye brow it is not solidly mounted, it will just slide forward. I don't see why one wouldn't work on a
50-90, even with what has to be some serious recoil.

John

willdixon
03-21-2008, 08:52 AM
Hi 315Cap

I don't seem to be able to get on the Shilo forum. I registered and they accepted my user name and number, but then I never got a confirmation saying I was on. So I emailed them, but never heard back.

Gene

EDK
03-21-2008, 03:04 PM
KURT posts on several forums. He let me handle his 50/90 with MVA scope last year at the Quigley shoot. I had SHILOH install the blocks for a MVA when they built my 50/90 LRX. 34 inch barrel, weighs just under 14 pounds...and a recoil reducer in the butt stock. Get the bolt down mounts rather than the dove tail type...there's some horror stories out (true or not?) about ripping the mounts out of the dovetails.

I've looked at RHO (my brother has one) and MVA personally. I'll buy an MVA in the next year or so. The other stuff doesn't look very durable.

Take a look for Kenny Wasserberger's posts. He shoots a scoped heavily loaded 45/? and would give the straight answer on what will hold up. He has some definite opinions and wouldn't lie if you paid him.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

willdixon
03-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Thank you very much EDK - I appreciate the advice!

Gene