PDA

View Full Version : Marlin Model 27 Pump

Hooker53
05-25-2015, 01:03 PM
I know some of you have heard this problem because it's common on this gun. It's 25-20 and a dandy little shooter but the outer Mag tube has that beat up look and problem where that pin in the Mag follower rides. I just put a dose of J-B weld on it but feel its fruitless. It turns loose when I have the tube pulled almost back in the loading position. I'm not beyond searching out for the correct inside Dia tube and making one here in the shop if need be. Do any of ya have a fix for this?

Also. Do you slip the follower pin in after you have it together and assembled up next to the action and looking at the areas, OR? Thanks guys.

Roy
Hooker53

John Taylor
05-25-2015, 11:47 PM
I made a new inner and outer tube for mine using aircraft tubing, Not an easy job . The model 27 was made in three calibers, 25 rimfire, 25-20 and 32-20. When putting the thing together the end plug and catch go in last. Insert the spring in the inner tube (inner tube plug in place). Slider the outer tube on leaving enough room to install the follower, then slide the outer tube the rest of the way so the little lip hits the pin on the follower and go far enough to install the end plug. Piece of cake, may take more than two hands.
I have welded up several outer tubes when the little indent goes away.

Hooker53
05-26-2015, 09:03 AM
John. Was hoping you would check in here..I knew if anyone had walked down this path it would have been you. I have actually of late last night thought about totally reworking the tube mag into something like a .22 setup. Ha. If what I'm trying don't work, might see about sending you this tube or tube Assy and let you touch it up. I don't have a Tig anymore and prob could'nt see it well enough to hit the correct spot. Thanks for coming arou d.

Roy
Hooker53

Hooker53
05-26-2015, 10:36 AM
John. As an added thought, is not that little bit of metel that you touch up with the Tig behind the hole not staked/upset so as it protrudes down into the groove of the inner tube??? How high does the pin in the follower ride out? Even with the inner tube or the outer tube? I may be driving this .098 pin in to deep. Ha.

Roy
Hooker53

John Taylor
05-26-2015, 09:02 PM
The indent on the outer tube is the same as the wall thickness of the inner tube and the pin sticks out the same amount as the wall thickness of the inner tube. Both the indent and pin ride in a groove cut in the inner tube.

Hooker53
05-26-2015, 10:54 PM
Great John and thanks. That's the way I left it and bought me some time with the JB. I know it won't hold and would never use that as a sellable fix. Just want to get off a few rounds to see if this gun is going to be worth going to the trouble redoing that tube. I will start checking around for an outer tube stock. Thanks for checking in.

Roy
Hooker53

Hooker53
06-01-2015, 11:00 PM
Well. I shot this little puppy this evening and fed, shot and ejected great for now. I do however, need to work on the load. 2 out of 5 key holed. Im loading a 68 grn Lyman 257420 Boolit. I guess the biggest two things that would cause that is, to mild of a load or, I'm sizing the Boolit to small. I started with 3.5 grns of Red Dot. What say yee gents? I loaded 5 more with 4.5 of Unique but a gully washer came in and did not get to try them. All in all, think I'm gonna like this one.

Roy
Hooker53

Wayne Smith
06-04-2015, 11:39 AM
What did you size them to? I agree, sounds like a little small. Check your throat size and see what condition it is in.

Hooker53
06-04-2015, 10:52 PM
Wayne. I sized them to 257 but, I have a 258 on the way. I think that will straighten out the prob. After that last post, i loaded up some with Hi-score 700-X. It shot much better. Like night and day. The best loads with that powder was the 3.5 brns and 3.7. In the mean time, I will beat the brush and see if I can find a good tang sight for it. Thanks for checking in.

Roy
Hooker53

Hooker53
09-27-2015, 05:05 PM
Well. Even a half decent fix on this Mag tube it won't last but for so long. Guess I'm gona have to beat the brush and find some inner and outer tube stock and try to make one. After you restake that detent a few times it's just to soft and messed up to hold. I believe this must have been the weakest part of this guns design.

Roy
Hooker53

Wayne Smith
09-27-2015, 07:59 PM
Other question is, what is the twist? I don't know the Marlin, mine (25-20, that is) is the Savage.