PDA

View Full Version : Tough one today!

SciFiJim
05-25-2015, 12:10 PM
Today I have to tell my daughter goodbye. She leaves for Navy boot camp tomorrow morning. Any other day of the year would be hard enough, but doing so on Memorial Day just adds to the burden.

She is 22 but is NOT ready for military life. She will always be my little girl and I want to keep her wrapped on bubble wrap but I have not been able to deter her. I am a Navy vet myself and understand and respect those that have and do serve.

Call me sexist, but if it was my son, I would be more comfortable with it. She wants a change and a new start in her life, but has no idea just how huge the leap to military life is.

What ever happens though, I will tell her I love her and am proud of her, because I am. It is just hard on a Dad's heart.

Artful
05-25-2015, 12:20 PM
Congratulations to her, and our collective heart goes out to you.

Hickory
05-25-2015, 01:17 PM
Never underestimate the will, strength, and determination of a woman.
She just might have the right stuff.

popper
05-25-2015, 01:37 PM
Always hard on the parents. Part of growing up.

JSnover
05-25-2015, 01:50 PM
A lot of us weren't ready but when we realized it was time to sink or swim we found a way to keep our heads above the surface.

FISH4BUGS
05-25-2015, 02:14 PM
You daughter will do just fine....probably better than you realize. Time to cut that cord.....just stay in touch via email, Skype or something else.

Love Life
05-25-2015, 04:38 PM
Congrats to her!!!

jonp
05-25-2015, 04:50 PM
Congrats for you and your daughter. Ours was 26 when decided to make something of her life and joined the Army.

However, despite my and her bio fathers best efforts we cant gether to Ft. Benning!

smoked turkey
05-25-2015, 09:58 PM
SciFiJim thanks go to you and your daughter for your service to our country. It is a hard time. I remember well when our oldest son moved out and went away to college. I cried like a baby as though I might never see him again. Glad to say that he made it and things are good as he is within an hour from us. I pray that your daughter will be safe and I know she is proud to do what she is doing. It is a very needed and noble call she has answered.

castalott
05-25-2015, 10:08 PM
Sincere Prayers for Safety, Faith, Strength, and Courage...for both of you.

pworley1
05-25-2015, 10:55 PM
You must have raised her well. Congratulation's.

leeggen
05-25-2015, 10:57 PM
Sounds tyo me like you should be proud of her. She has decded to stand on her own 2 feet as she has been raised. Seems as parents you have done a fine job, but it is time to let her do hers. Congrats to the both of you, stand proud, head up chin in.
CD

MaryB
05-25-2015, 11:13 PM
Congrats, she is showing a willingness to be a part of this country that many will never know.

Leslie Sapp
05-25-2015, 11:33 PM
Ours shipped out Memorial Day last year.I tried to talk her out of it, but she went ahead over my objections.

She's just now finishing her training in Ospreys, and is having a ball! She's called several times to say, " Dad, I can't believe they're paying me to do this!"

I sincerely hope and pray your daughter blossoms the way mine has.

MtGun44
05-26-2015, 12:56 AM
I really wondered if my niece would cut it in the Air Force. She really
took to boot camp and blossomed. I was impressed with how she
grew up and matured under the pressure.

I will bet your daughter will, too.

EMC45
05-26-2015, 10:48 AM
Good job. What A School is she going for?

Hardcast416taylor
05-26-2015, 11:20 AM
I know your feelings right about now. I stood straight and fought back a few tears when my 18 yr. old son went out to Pendelton. The wife and daughter were crying during the final farewells. During all this comotion I could not get over the deep seated feeling of pride for my son making this choice. I am certain this feeling dwells in you as well. She will be fine after she settles in with a group of enlistees that are all alot like her.Robert

SciFiJim
05-26-2015, 02:46 PM
Just got a text from my wife. My daughter just left. Please pray for her safety. She is no longer within my reach to keep her safe but will always be in God's hands.

gon2shoot
05-26-2015, 07:42 PM
You taught her to walk, you taught her to ride a bike. you taught her to shoot, you taught her to fight off the boys etc. You have been teaching her how to be safe her whole life. Now, sit back and trust her and be proud.

smokeywolf
05-26-2015, 08:02 PM
From when they were both 8 years old, my son and the little girl next door used to ride bicycles and play together. She was cute as a button and could easily qualify as gifted in intelligence. They were constant companions until puberty struck and they discovered that they were of different genders. Although still friends, peer pressure cooled their relationship. She went into the Air Force right out of high school and if I understand correctly got into something having to do with encryption and code breaking; she loved it. That was in 2001. To the best of my knowledge she's still in.

SciFiJim
05-26-2015, 09:02 PM
Good job. What A School is she going for?

Something to do with air crew. She eventually wants to be a rescue swimmer and jump out of helicopters into the ocean to rescue downed pilots.

scaevola
05-26-2015, 10:27 PM
You rekindled some memories. My daughter joined the Air Force right out of high school. It was mighty tough letting her go but I supported her decision as best I could. She met a guy in the AF, got married and they are still together 15 years later. I also have 5 grandsons (WTH was she thinking???)

Obviously, kids may make choices we'd not make for them; but the choices may be the right ones for them.

Send your daughter my best - I hope her career is a great one.

Today I have to tell my daughter goodbye. She leaves for Navy boot camp tomorrow morning. Any other day of the year would be hard enough, but doing so on Memorial Day just adds to the burden.

She is 22 but is NOT ready for military life. She will always be my little girl and I want to keep her wrapped on bubble wrap but I have not been able to deter her. I am a Navy vet myself and understand and respect those that have and do serve.

Call me sexist, but if it was my son, I would be more comfortable with it. She wants a change and a new start in her life, but has no idea just how huge the leap to military life is.

What ever happens though, I will tell her I love her and am proud of her, because I am. It is just hard on a Dad's heart.

SciFiJim
05-27-2015, 08:14 PM
My daughter at MEPS this morning.

http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt47/SciFiJim_photobucket/missy_zpshywngytj.jpg (http://s596.photobucket.com/user/SciFiJim_photobucket/media/missy_zpshywngytj.jpg.html)

ol skool
05-27-2015, 09:19 PM
SciFiJim:

You got a happy Sailor there Dad.

My daughter did 2 deployments to the Persian Gulf back to back. When she got out she missed being at sea more than anything else. The long hours, the friends she made and camaraderie, the unbelievable places she got to visit. She missed being a Sailor.

An experience that has shaped her outlook on life forever. She's going to school for a 4 year degree (GI Bill), got a job right off for the summer. Boss told her it was because she is a Vet and has that go get it attitude.

I cried like a baby when she left. When you go to PIR and watch your kid on point for two hours you'll know she made the right move for her. She emailed me a pic of her manning the rails coming into home port in her Blues from the first deployment. Damn proud poppa...

Get her an iPad so you can Skype. It's good...

SciFiJim
05-27-2015, 09:25 PM
Get her an iPad so you can Skype. It's good...

The plan is to take it to her along with her cell phone when we go to watch her PIR. Skype is already installed and tested.