PDA

View Full Version : 54 caliber for deer

wyofool
05-24-2015, 11:23 PM
I put in for a muzzleloading deer tag this year. On the off chance I get one, what projectile should I use? I have a Pedersolli .54 caliber Hawkin. I have been shooting patched round ball with fair (good enough) accuracy.

Boogieman
05-25-2015, 12:05 AM
I use a Lyman 54cal. have killed several deer using a patched round ball. It dropped them as good as my 45/70. Most Hawkin style rifles have a slow twist barrel and are intened for round ball shooting. what load are you shooting now ?

GREENCOUNTYPETE
05-25-2015, 12:57 AM
a patched round ball will work just fine at or under 100 meters the round ball starts to loose energy and be moved by the wind a lot more after a hundred

Lead Fred
05-25-2015, 07:36 AM
My 45 cal bore stuffer shootem faster than the 30-30 or the 45/70
54 wont even be sport

Mr Peabody
05-25-2015, 09:46 AM
A patched ball will kill a Deer as dead as you could ever want. A Lee Real will too and is a little quicker on the reload if that is a concern.

scattershot
05-25-2015, 10:26 AM
We use .54 for elk around here. If you put a .54 caliber hole in a critter, in the right place, warm up the grill. Muzzle loading is a relatively short range proposition, anyway.

wyofool
05-25-2015, 03:56 PM
I'm using about 80 grains of Pyrodex or FFFg with a lubed patched round ball. The round balls are around 220 grains.

wyofool
05-25-2015, 04:00 PM
I have a Lee .540 415 grain minnie mold that I haven't tried yet and was also wondering about the Lee REAL. Should I just stick to the round ball and sell the minnie?

scattershot
05-25-2015, 04:19 PM
Depending on your rate of twist, the ball may work better than the bullet. Slow twist is best for the ball, fast for the bullet. The problem with Minies is that with stout charges you may blow the skirt off, ruining accuracy. The REAL bullet works well in some twists, and of course is heavier than the ball. Xperiment until you find the best accuracy.

good luck!

Lever-man
05-25-2015, 04:45 PM
I have a TC Hawkin in 50 cal with a 1-48 twist which is what the Pedersoli have I believe for anything 100 yds and under I prefer the RB. I have the Lee REAL in 50 cal and it is an accurate boolit in my gun but it can be hard to load since you engrave the rifling into the boolit when loading it. If it's not cast with pure lead it can be next to impossible to load. The Lyman Maxi ball would be my choice if I were to use a conical boolit. I don't think they make a Maxi ball in the 54 cal I would cast some of the Minnie's from the mold you already have and see what they do for accuracy. Lyman has one similar in 425 gr #542622 they say is designed for 1-48 twist rifles.

johnson1942
05-25-2015, 05:03 PM
what is the twist of that gun?

wyofool
05-25-2015, 05:32 PM
The twist is 1-48 according to the web site.
Another question would be what types of powder are being used and how much?

Lever-man
05-25-2015, 06:49 PM
On my 50 cal hunting loads I use 80 grs Triple 7 with PRB, REAL & Maxi ball with the most accurate load being the PRB dolled by the REAL then the Maxi ball all have hunting accuracy, 1 1/2" at 75 yds. I limit my range to 100 yds or less. For small game & plinking loads I use 25 grs with a PRB. all the PRB loads have been tack drivers.

rodwha
05-25-2015, 06:56 PM
My .50 cal Lyman with a 1:48" twist does extremely well with a 320 grn Lee REAL. Much better than a PRB so far, though I haven't experimented enough yet.

I use 3F powder and 70 grns was almost too good to experiment further with the REAL. A .54 cal will generally call for a little more powder from what I think I understand.

wyofool
05-25-2015, 07:05 PM
Thank you for all of the replies. I may just have to get me a Lee REAL (just because) I have extra RB molds I could get rid of and get the REAL. Then I could try all three, it would mean more time out in the desert making smoke, but there are worse things in life.

Lever-man
05-25-2015, 07:05 PM
I have the 250 gr REAL

johnson1942
05-25-2015, 07:08 PM
if you find a mold for a bullet that is about .95 long in 54 cal and resize it to 8 thousands under .54 you could paperpatch it and it would be very easy to load and be very accurate. i know others on cast boolit have done that with the 54 1/48 twist with very good success.

Lever-man
05-25-2015, 07:08 PM
The Lee REAL is a good mold to have just make sure to cast them out of pure lead or they are pure Hell to load, at least that has been my experience.

05-25-2015, 07:20 PM
wyofool - To answer your question, personally I would be using 75 - 90 grains FFg triple seven loose powder in that .54. I like the FFFg for calibers of .45 and less. YMMV If it's accurate with a roundball, your search is done. That combo is a mighty fine game getter. If you haven't tried any conicals, that, too, is worth pursuing. The R.E.A.L. boolits are fine boolits. Any of them place well with authority will fill the freezer. Be methodical in your research. Keep notes and your answer will appear quickly. Always use pure lead.

Odinbreaker
05-25-2015, 07:32 PM
I like the old T C Maxi Ball 405 grain 80 gr T 7 or 2 ff Goex in flint will knoc
k down anything

BrianL
05-25-2015, 09:26 PM
.530 ball over 75-85 grains ffg

richhodg66
05-25-2015, 09:46 PM
I've only ever killed one with a .54 and used a Thompson Center Maxi Hunter mold, good terminal performance.

Most of mine have been with a .50 using Lyman's Plains Bullet, big flat nose design, easy to load like the REALs. They make the same design in .54. That's what I'd use if I was going to buy a mold and my rifle would stabilize it.

country gent
05-25-2015, 09:58 PM
One usefull accessory to make is a loading block. You need a piece of fine grained hardwood Walnut, Cherry, Maple all work good. At least 1/8" thickers than your patched round ball and big enough for 5- 10 balls. Use a drill press and drill a hole 1/8-3/16 deep that firs snuggly over the barrel corners, now drill a 1/2" hole thru and polish out to .540 .550 with a dowel and sand paper. You can put patched round balls in the block and set over barrel push to start with short starter. Oil finish or a good finish on the block and inside holes. This block holds balls with patches already in place ready to load. A 54 cal hawkens will do fine for deer and with some practice learning trajectory and wind will work for longer ranges also.

dnepr
05-25-2015, 10:08 PM
Only killed one deer with my 54 Hawkins . Used a 425 gr Minnie from the Lyman mold over 80 gr of 777 . It was a longer shot than I had anticipated, about 120 yards but still DRT . Most of the time my shots are under100 and I would feel comfortable with a roundball in the 54 ,

Lever-man
05-25-2015, 10:12 PM
I like to use loose powder and have family in the nursing profession that get me the small blood vials. I pre-measure my powder charges and place them in the vials, they are moisture proof, quick and easy to load a powder charge.

wyofool
05-25-2015, 10:42 PM
I like to use loose powder and have family in the nursing profession that get me the small blood vials. I pre-measure my powder charges and place them in the vials, they are moisture proof, quick and easy to load a powder charge.
If I look hard enough around here I might just find something similar and it would work great with Country Gent's loading block.

wyofool
05-25-2015, 10:46 PM
I have the 250 gr REAL
Would you be willing to part with it? .54 cal right?

wyofool
05-25-2015, 10:48 PM
One usefull accessory to make is a loading block. You need a piece of fine grained hardwood Walnut, Cherry, Maple all work good. At least 1/8" thickers than your patched round ball and big enough for 5- 10 balls. Use a drill press and drill a hole 1/8-3/16 deep that firs snuggly over the barrel corners, now drill a 1/2" hole thru and polish out to .540 .550 with a dowel and sand paper. You can put patched round balls in the block and set over barrel push to start with short starter. Oil finish or a good finish on the block and inside holes. This block holds balls with patches already in place ready to load. A 54 cal hawkens will do fine for deer and with some practice learning trajectory and wind will work for longer ranges also.
That is a great idea. Would make for more fun at the range also. Now just have to find where I put that piece of hardwood.

wyofool
05-25-2015, 10:50 PM
if you find a mold for a bullet that is about .95 long in 54 cal and resize it to 8 thousands under .54 you could paperpatch it and it would be very easy to load and be very accurate. i know others on cast boolit have done that with the 54 1/48 twist with very good success.
Hadn't thought about paper patching. I'll have to go do a little reading on that thread.
Thank you

waksupi
05-26-2015, 12:26 AM
Using anything more than a round ball for deer, would be equivalent to using a tactical nuclear devise to close the saloon on time at Two Dot, Montana.

Overkill.

rodwha
05-26-2015, 07:37 AM
You'll want to have some felt wads with you when you try those REALs. My Lyman didn't shoot them well without them. It keyholes at 50 yrds and was far left. With them they were nearly touching and just below the bull.

docone31
05-26-2015, 08:16 AM
I crumpled patches under the R.E.A.L.s. I also got bizarre patterns untill I did that. Then they tightened right up.

Lever-man
05-26-2015, 08:51 AM
The 250 gr R.E.A.L. is 50 cal the 54 cal is offered in 300gr & 380gr http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/black-powder-molds/black-powder-real-bullet-combo-molds I use a vegetable fiber wad under my R.E.A.L. in 50 cal available from John Walters, email: thetinwadman@cox.net

OverMax
05-26-2015, 10:40 AM
Been there done that. Stick with the patched Round Ball is my advice. Reason being: you already know what to expect in its use. These days many think boolits, sabo, and other popular falldiral and johnny-come-lately projectiles are the only'est things to use and are without doubt the cats meow. Stick with the rifles intended Tradition. Be a ardent Traditionalist.
BTW: Even a poor shot made with a 54 will no doubt leave a horrendous blood trail for a easy retrieval. A spot on shot. Hey >"Brown is down!" No doubt about that.

wyofool
05-26-2015, 11:05 AM
I think I will start with what I've got with Country Gent's loading block and Lever-man's suggestion with the pre-loaded vials, then shoot alot. I may get into the REAL and Minnie just for an excuse (do I really need one) to go out shooting more.

Lever-man
05-26-2015, 11:31 AM
I have to agree with OverMax. I've been down just about every road with my MZ and came to the conclusion that PRB was the best for me, but everyone has to make their own decision.

dondiego
05-26-2015, 12:15 PM
I think I will start with what I've got with Country Gent's loading block and Lever-man's suggestion with the pre-loaded vials, then shoot alot. I may get into the REAL and Minnie just for an excuse (do I really need one) to go out shooting more.

There is the key to a success hunt!

lobogunleather
05-27-2015, 12:58 PM
Used to hunt with a TC Hawken .50 caliber caplock. For Colorado elk (500 to 700 lbs) I used the patched round ball with 80 grain Ffg (about 1750FPS). For mule deer (150 to 250 lbs) I found that 50 grains (about 1400FPS) was perfectly adequate. For small game (rabbits, turkeys, etc) I used 30 grains (about 900FPS) very successfully. One of the beauties of muzzle-loading rifles is the ability to tailor your load to the game.

Never had occasion to shoot a game animal at much over 75 yards, usually 50 yards or less.

Put that patched ball where it belongs (heart-lung area) and it will do as well, or better, than just about anything. Your .54 caliber should do very nicely.

rodwha
05-27-2015, 02:40 PM
I bought a .50 cal for my first rifle as I figured if I ever had the opportunity to hunt something large like elk I could always upgrade to a conical. The fact that there was so much more variety as well as availability of components (I was also considering sabots) sealed it.

Knowing what I know now, as well as casting, I'd possibly have chosen a .54 cal instead though. Outside of using it for small game too it seems to be about ideal for medium to large game with a ball or conical. I'm considering a drop-in barrel in .54 cal for my Lyman.

Boogieman
05-27-2015, 03:32 PM
The round ball will allow you to use a wider range of loads than Real or minies. My 54 Lyman groups good with 55gr. for targets at 25 & 50 yards,65gr for 100yards, & 100gr. for deer hunting. Most boolits have a narrow range of loads that group good.

wyofool
05-27-2015, 07:26 PM
I hadn't really thought about tailoring the load for different uses. I will try that when I go out again (maybe tomorrow). Different loads and different distances just to see how everything works.
Thanks for all of the inputs.

Pyro&Black
05-28-2015, 08:34 AM
We use .54 for elk around here. If you put a .54 caliber hole in a critter, in the right place, warm up the grill. Muzzle loading is a relatively short range proposition, anyway.

Not anymore. Lots of 200 yard harvests are happening in the deer woods with muzzleloaders.

54-cals shooting ball or conical are a-lot of fun. Personally, I prefer the conical, unless the bore ranges between a 60-70 twist.

waksupi
05-28-2015, 11:03 AM
Not anymore. Lots of 200 yard harvests are happening in the deer woods with muzzleloaders.

Thereby going around the intent and spirit of a muzzle loading season. That is why the serious ML shooters here in Montana came out in force and defeated an attempt to have a ML season some years ago.

rodwha
05-28-2015, 12:28 PM
I thought the intent and spirit of the muzzleloading season was to use traditional means? I don't follow why I'd be damned by a group for using a sidelock rifle with a Malcolm scope using real BP with a conical to hunt fields and such with, though 175 yrds would really be stretching it for me.

I often see on a traditional forum people bashed for not using a PRB, true BP, or even for not using a flintlock. And then it's many of those same guys who complain that the traditional ways are dying out.

I can certainly understand were it an inline topped with a Leupold scope with a saboted modern pistol bullet as that certainly defies the spirit and intent of a traditional hunt.

I figure a part of your sentiment is that you should stalk your prey if they are beyond your idea of an adequate range. Where I have hunted, on leases, there are fixed positions (blinds) to hunt from that where put in place to ensure the other blinds were in safe zones. Were I to stalk around I'd end up A) violating someone's area and potentially ruining their day's hunt and/or B) placing myself in potential danger.

My father took me out deer hunting in OK on public land where there was no blinds. We stalked around or drove deer, and to me I find it much more rewarding. I didn't feel blinds were nearly as fun or sporting, and hardly "hunting", but it is what it is. And then there are critters such as antelope that would be near impossible to stalk close enough to in my mind, especially figuring the plains are often fairly windy for a ball.

I intend to use PRB in my Deerstalker for hunting most everything. I've never shot anything beyond about 80 yds which is well within range. But I also have a REAL mold in case I am ever given an opportunity to hunt large game or if I intend to hunt at longer ranges (>100 yds).

rodwha
05-28-2015, 02:36 PM
Oh, and I'm not claiming you are one of those who dog anyone not using what you feel is the only appropriate way to hunt as I assume you more or less believe the modern stuff (inlines, sabots, modern bullets, modern scopes).

I know that IdahoRon uses paper patched bullets in his sidelock without a scope and hunts to about that range, but can accurately shoot much further.

waksupi
05-28-2015, 03:31 PM
You can indeed take an antelope with a patched round ball. One year our hunting party took 22 antelope and deer, all with PRB on a four day hunt. And it is definitely windy around Jordan, Montana in the fall.

rodwha
05-28-2015, 10:08 PM
Certainly not saying it can't be done by any means as I've read of one who has, but am saying that on open plains there isn't the cover you'd find in your typical deer hunting woods, and if the heard is larger with that many more keen eyes it becomes quite difficult.

I've not hunted the open plains, but I'd venture to guess many hunters who'd need to stalk within 50 yds due to using a PRB in higher winds would go home empty handed. And maybe that says something about the skill levels of some, but I wouldn't say that it would necessarily go beyond the spirit and intent of the muzzleloading season was if one used a conical to shoot much further with confidence. With traditional wares it's still nothing like the modern equipment.

I I like my sidelock and need a flintlock, but have no desire for an inline. I like the traditional stuff including the conicals.

ogre
05-29-2015, 01:12 AM
While it can be fun to tailor your loads in the end I suggest that you might be better served by loading your most accurate, reasonable charge and then learning where to hold the sights for shooting at various distances.

reivertom
05-31-2015, 11:11 PM
My .54 longrifle with 90 grains of 2F and a roundball shoots clear through an average whitetail's boiler room and leaves a half dollar size hole on the way out. If you can't kill anything with hooves in North America with that, you need to find another hobby! :^)

slumlord44
06-01-2015, 12:06 AM
I am personally comfortable shooting Whitetail deer at 100 yards with either a .50 or .54 caliber round ball. I can hit and kill one at that range but that is my max. I prefer a much closer shot if I can get it.

Lonegun1894
06-06-2015, 04:13 AM
Here's another vote for the PRB. I use them in both .50 and .54 and they work great for deer/hog size game and smaller. I haven't had a chance to take anything larger than 350 lbs, but the .54 PRB broke both shoulders of that hog and stopped just under the skin on the offside. I haven't recovered a .54 PRB from a deer yet, but the .50 PRBs usually stop just under the skin on the offside, or exit occasionally. I use 70grs 3F in the .50 and 80grs 3F in the .54, both flint Lyman GPRs in flint. My CVA St. Louis "hawken" .50 caplock uses the same load as the Lyman .50.

wyofool
06-06-2015, 04:33 PM
This has turned into a fairly popular thread, more than I expected. Lots of good opinions and info. Now I just need to get out and make some smoke.
Thank you everyone who has replied.

Southron
06-07-2015, 01:03 AM
HINT: Use REAL Black Powder as it has a LOWER IGNITION TEMPERATURE than the Replica black powders. Using Real Black Powder lessens your chance of having a mis-fire when that monster buck wanders into your sights!

GOOD LUCK!

dnepr
06-07-2015, 12:29 PM
HINT: Use REAL Black Powder as it has a LOWER IGNITION TEMPERATURE than the Replica black powders. Using Real Black Powder lessens your chance of having a mis-fire when that monster buck wanders into your sights!

GOOD LUCK!

i agree . When black powder has been in short supply around here I will use a little real black in the flash channel to ensure that the main charge of 777 goes bang when I need it to

white eagle
06-07-2015, 02:33 PM
shot deer with real's and patched round ball in my 54
can't say I would call dead over kill but dead they were
use black in my Thompson Center and my Lyman great plains Hawken replica's
54 is a great cal

Lonegun1894
06-08-2015, 04:40 AM
i agree . When black powder has been in short supply around here I will use a little real black in the flash channel to ensure that the main charge of 777 goes bang when I need it to

Make sure it is legal for you so you don't get yourself locked up, but if legal, black powder is easy to make, and making it is cheaper than buying it.

Hanshi
06-12-2015, 01:55 PM
Nothing is better than a prb and in a .54 it's dynamite. I've killed too many deer with one shot and two .45s to ever worry about power or accuracy. One kill was at 75 yards. With a .50 I've killed a couple of whitetails at around 100 yards. A prb is all you will ever need.

RBak
06-12-2015, 04:07 PM
I agree with Hansi on the fact that any deer within that 100yd range will go down when using a .54 patched RB....it's that good!
Like all deer, shot with anything, some may try to run off a little bit, but you will be surprised at how many give it up, DRT.
Conical boolits are fine, if both you and your gun take a liking to 'em, still yet that PRB is hard to beat.
Years back Idaho Ron got me interested in Paper Patchin conicals.
I have one rifle in .50cal that after lots of experimenting truly shines with that PP on a resized .50 cal cast pistol bullet, but the only thing I've killed with it, so far, is one watermelon and a lot of paper targets...for Deer and Elk I still stick to the .54 PRB and 85gr Goex FFg.

Russ...

irishtoo
06-12-2015, 09:46 PM
i shoot a .54 prb with 80gr of 3f goex. i have shot well over a dozen deer with it, i would not want to get hit by one.

jjarrell
08-30-2016, 07:20 PM
Any projectile from a .54 cal will do the job on a deer. A round ball is all you need. Let me tell you a story I saw with my own eyes on a Manitoba moose hunt. My uncle was hunting with a .54 cal T/C Renegade. He was shooting a .530 round ball over 100gr of 3Fg Goex. The moose was ranged at 170 yards with a Bushnell laser rangefinder. He shot the moose broadside. It made a mad dash for about 40 yards and piled up dead as a hammer. When we quartered the moose this is what we found. The ball entered the near side splitting a rib, passed through the near side lung, then clipped the top off the heart. It passed through the off side lung, broke an offside rib, and stopped just under the hide of the offside. All together that round ball penetrated about 3 feet of bull moose at 170 yards. A deer won't even be a light snack for your .54

rodwha
08-30-2016, 09:29 PM
Any projectile from a .54 cal will do the job on a deer. A round ball is all you need. Let me tell you a story I saw with my own eyes on a Manitoba moose hunt. My uncle was hunting with a .54 cal T/C Renegade. He was shooting a .530 round ball over 100gr of 3Fg Goex. The moose was ranged at 170 yards with a Bushnell laser rangefinder. He shot the moose broadside. It made a mad dash for about 40 yards and piled up dead as a hammer. When we quartered the moose this is what we found. The ball entered the near side splitting a rib, passed through the near side lung, then clipped the top off the heart. It passed through the off side lung, broke an offside rib, and stopped just under the hide of the offside. All together that round ball penetrated about 3 feet of bull moose at 170 yards. A deer won't even be a light snack for your .54

Was there any expansion of that ball?

jjarrell
08-31-2016, 11:07 AM
Was there any expansion of that ball?

There was some deformation of the ball. It didn't completely pancake but it was flattened on the leading surface that struck the rib. This in all likelihood occurred upon splitting the rib on entrance. It looked like a half moon, flat on the front and round on the back.

Huntsman
08-31-2016, 02:58 PM
Round ball all the way!!
Within its limitations obviously. I used a patched round ball .54 cal last fall to drop a nice whitetail buck.

URL=http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/Jamie_MG/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151111_164423_zpsfmfd7jwn.jpg.html]http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i375/Jamie_MG/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151111_164423_zpsfmfd7jwn.jpg[/URL]

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?291975-Traditional-Blackpowder-Canadian-Buck!

jjarrell
08-31-2016, 03:52 PM
Congratulations Huntsman! Nice buck:drinks:

Huntsman
08-31-2016, 05:51 PM
Why thank you Sir!
He was some tasty too :bigsmyl2:

jjarrell
09-02-2016, 12:13 AM
I still say a .54 caliber round ball will take anything on this continent. For deer or hogs anything in the 60-90gr charge range will put them on the wrong side of the dirt. For Mulies, elk, moose, bison, and black or brown bear 100 to 125gr charges will put meat in the freezer. I personally would use a 125gr charge for moose, bison, and bear. Understand though that this all relies on the hunter doing their part and putting a humane killing shot in the boiler room. This is my personal opinion. Some will tell me I'm nuts, irresponsible, and disagree with stories to the opposition, which is fine. And some will agree and also give stories to back up their convictions. I welcome all and again this is just my opinion.

RBak
09-02-2016, 10:48 AM
.......... Some will tell me I'm nuts, irresponsible, and disagree with stories to the opposition, which is fine. And some will agree and also give stories to back up their convictions. I welcome all and again this is just my opinion.

You can put me in the category that agrees.
The "killing power" of the lowly round-ball must be witnessed to be truly believed.

Russ

jjarrell
09-02-2016, 07:21 PM
There was never a debate as to whether or not a round ball was suitable for taking game until manufacturers started touting the abilities of sabot projectiles. They told the public you can't kill game without spending $25 for 20 of their "superior" bullets, and we believed them. Ill say this, I've seen more animals dropped in their tracks with a round ball than anything else. Including high powered rifles.

Hanshi
09-03-2016, 02:01 PM
Huntsman, you are certainly to be congratulated on taking that impressive buck. From my experience with the .54 (only on deer) I think the .54 may be the best caliber for most American game with the possible exception of the BIG BEARS; for them I suggest a 12 pounder.

rfd
09-03-2016, 05:49 PM
love the .54 patched ball. i shudda never sold off my last one.

FrontierMuzzleloading
09-03-2016, 07:11 PM
Great caliber! My first elk with a muzzy was at 140 yards and a .54cal CVA Mountain Rifle pushing 80gr Pyrodex RS.

rodwha
09-03-2016, 07:58 PM
When I first became interested in a muzzleloading rifle I took a lot into my consideration, with one of them being components. But at that time I also felt a PRB was about useless beyond about 50 yds.

The .50 cal seemed right in the middle for medium game with a conical for anything large.

Knowing what I know now I think I would have chosen a .54, especially as I see a PRB is indeed quite useful well beyond that and that I cast my projectiles.

scattershot
09-03-2016, 08:57 PM
.54 = drt

Good Cheer
09-06-2016, 04:23 PM
Sometimes they just don't know they're as dead as you think they are.
That's why big and not so fast can be a better mouse trap than real fast. Doesn't agree with the ft-lb calculators but it just is.

RBak
09-06-2016, 05:17 PM
Sometimes they just don't know they're as dead as you think they are.
That's why big and not so fast can be a better mouse trap than real fast. Doesn't agree with the ft-lb calculators but it just is.
My thoughts exactly!
Paper ballistics, which is often used to base such thoughts as killing power and DRT, is nothing short of being a flat-out ugly picture when it's compared to the lowly .54 round-ball while using that same perspective, and it all happens while being pushed by a propellant that fell from favor by the masses too many winters back to count, how can that be???
Still yet, our own lying eyes tell us a much different story.

Russ

Old Iron
09-07-2016, 10:19 AM
I bought my first muzzleloader in 1968, a Lyman Great Plains .54, and started using it on Wyoming muleys and antelope. Before long, I found myself gradually selling off most of my centerfires, keeping only Remington Rolling Blocks in 45-70 and 50-70, and a Remington 788 in 22-250 that will shoot a 3-shot group at 200 yds. that can be covered with a nickle.

Saying I've taken a "ton" of WY deer, antelope, and elk with the .54 round ball would be a simple under-statement.
Over the years I've also built and experimented with .58's and .62's on big game, and always come back to the .54 for hunting plains animals out to 150+ yards.

After nearly 50 years of hunting with traditional muzzleloaders I've yet to find a "need" to use a conical bullet to put any of those critters down.
The Alaskan moose I've taken, were with .62 round ball, simply because the bigger ball gave me more confidence when hunting in grizzly country where a gun-shot has a very good chance of gettng Ol' Ephraim's attention (and a friend of mine did exactly that, after getting a griz-tag,... he shot his grizzly by first "calling" in the bear with a shot in the air).

rodwha
09-07-2016, 02:18 PM
(and a friend of mine did exactly that, after getting a griz-tag,... he shot his grizzly by first "calling" in the bear with a shot in the air).

Nice!

I must say that I appreciate not being in grizzly country...

reivertom
09-07-2016, 11:32 PM
My .54 Lancaster leaves a large hole on the far side of most deer. Use sense and take good shots and the deer will not go far. The folks that say roundballs are no good are trying to sell inlines and/or their expensive projectiles. Yeah, you do need to get closer, but isn't that what hunting is about anyway?

Texas by God
10-06-2016, 10:23 PM
My .54 is a Lyman Plains Pistol. Using a .535 patched ball over 55 grs 3F I sat a great 8 pt down in his tracks. When the smoke cleared my wife exclaimed that was the fastest deer kill she's river seen- and she's seen a bunch. Range was 44 feet. On paper this load probably wouldn't even show...... Best, Thomas.

rfd
10-07-2016, 06:01 AM
I bought my first muzzleloader in 1968, a Lyman Great Plains .54, and started using it on Wyoming muleys and antelope. Before long, I found myself gradually selling off most of my centerfires, keeping only Remington Rolling Blocks in 45-70 and 50-70, and a Remington 788 in 22-250 that will shoot a 3-shot group at 200 yds. that can be covered with a nickle.

Saying I've taken a "ton" of WY deer, antelope, and elk with the .54 round ball would be a simple under-statement.
Over the years I've also built and experimented with .58's and .62's on big game, and always come back to the .54 for hunting plains animals out to 150+ yards.

After nearly 50 years of hunting with traditional muzzleloaders I've yet to find a "need" to use a conical bullet to put any of those critters down.
The Alaskan moose I've taken, were with .62 round ball, simply because the bigger ball gave me more confidence when hunting in grizzly country where a gun-shot has a very good chance of gettng Ol' Ephraim's attention (and a friend of mine did exactly that, after getting a griz-tag,... he shot his grizzly by first "calling" in the bear with a shot in the air).

+1 on everything you've posted, sir! [smilie=s::drinks:

charliek
10-07-2016, 12:16 PM
+1 on everything you've posted, sir! [smilie=s::drinks:
I'm too crippled to hunt any more, but all these stories make me yearn for my tack driving Santa Fe Hawken with a .535 prb.
Thanks for the memories.

RBak
10-07-2016, 03:27 PM
My .54 Lancaster leaves a large hole on the far side of most deer. Use sense and take good shots and the deer will not go far. The folks that say roundballs are no good are trying to sell inlines and/or their expensive projectiles. Yeah, you do need to get closer, but isn't that what hunting is about anyway?

I also feel there is a lot to be said about the lowly .54 Patch'nBall!
I also feel a lot of the complaining is done by those who are promoting the thought that the old-fashioned way of doing things is outdated, and they want to move on to something they have been told is better.

Russ