PDA

View Full Version : Ever try to load wolf cases.....Berdan

PDshooter
03-19-2008, 02:12 AM
Berdan......Ever try to load wolf cases.....with Boxer primers..?[smilie=1:
I noticed berdan cases, ran them RCBS decapping die....Punched a center hole in them. But the boxer pimers are loose.....Just have to much time on my hands ![smilie=1:

Russell James
03-19-2008, 04:42 AM
Mate keep going and tell us all how it goes.
Russell James

JDL
03-19-2008, 11:21 AM
Old Western Schrounger used to have Berdan primers.
This is not a reccomendation but, a friend had a Remington rolling block in .43 Spainish with some old cartridges that wouldn't fire. The cartridges were Berdan primed so he drilled the cases through and reprimed with a shot shell primer to load black. -JDL

Vly
03-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Not all steel Wolf cases are Berdan primed. Wolf .223Rem cases are boxer primed and are very easy to reload. I pitch them after 2 reloads, but some guys are pushing them further.

PDshooter
03-20-2008, 02:47 AM
Not all steel Wolf cases are Berdan primed. Wolf .223Rem cases are boxer primed and are very easy to reload. I pitch them after 2 reloads, but some guys are pushing them further.

Just 7.62X39 Steel cases.......I'm sitting on about 40LB of .223 brass...

NickSS
03-20-2008, 04:22 AM
I have loaded wolf 45 ACP steel cases they are boxer primed and I can't tell the difference when sizing them in my Carbide dies between the steel and brass cases. In fact I loaded my first one by accident and it was only after I was putting the loaded rounds into boxes that I noticed they were steel wolf cases.

Ricochet
03-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Like Nick, I now reload Wolf steel .45s, and with the carbide die they size just like brass. What I hate about it is that now I feel compelled to hunt down my cases with those, too, and the gray steel cases are awful to try to find on limestone gravel!

bcp477
03-20-2008, 03:08 PM
The industry standard diameters of Boxer and Berdan primers are different...that's why your primers are "loose". Too much effort for too little gain, in my view. When and if Berdan primers become widely available - then it might be a different story. I doubt that will happen here in the US, though.

Y2K
03-20-2008, 08:41 PM
Dag Nab It!!! Here I thought I was the only one cheap enough to try reloading Wolf .45 cases. Leave my stash alone!

Uncle Jaque
05-07-2008, 11:23 PM
I'm amazed that you could punch through the bottom of a Berdan case without busting your decapping pin off!

Decapping Berdans can be a real booger; I guess that over in Europe they have a tool kind of like a can opener that has a couple of little claws that bite into the primer and then pull it out with some sort of lever arrangement.

Another way is to fill them to the neck with water insert a caliber diameter rod and with the base of the case supported over a hole for the primer to fly out through, whack the top of the punch with a hammer. The hydraulic pressure is supposed to squirt the primer right out.
I would think that it would be a pretty wet operation!

On another board a guy said that he made up a primer pocket punch that would mash the central anvil flat, causing the brass to flow into and fill in the flash holes on either side. Then he would drill a central flash hole.
I think that he also swaged the head down around a steel pin the exact diameter of a Boxer primer to reduce the original primer pocket diameter.

It sounds like a pretty complicated proposition - but with the price of brass these days, it might be nice to be able to convert and re use some of that otherwise nice Berdan primed brass we accumulate.

trickyasafox
05-08-2008, 12:03 AM
I've done the boxer primed 223 stuff- make sure you clean up the inside of the case neck or it'll shave bullets on ya.

jack19512
05-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Another way is to fill them to the neck with water insert a caliber diameter rod and with the base of the case supported over a hole for the primer to fly out through, whack the top of the punch with a hammer. The hydraulic pressure is supposed to squirt the primer right out.
I would think that it would be a pretty wet operation!

Actually reloading Berdan cases is not that hard or is not that wet of an operation if done correctly. Until the Berdan primers became hard(or impossible)to get I was reloading the Berdan primed brass for my K31.

Very few tools are needed and you don't have to purchase fancy stuff if you know how to improvise. I have some 8 mm Berdan primed brass that I was going to reload until the Berdan primers became hard to find.

I have 5,000 Berdan primers on hand that I thought I should save just in case I should need them for whatever reason in the future. Here is the tool I use for decapping the Swiss 7.5 X 55 Berdan brass. It works excellent.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/jack19512/Berdandecappingtool.jpg

ra_balke
05-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Ha ! I thought I was the only one re loading wolf steel cases.
Back when I had an ugly plastic gun,, in 223 I would collect the wolf stuff, and re load it all the time.

I'd load them till the neck split.

I still have a jug of loaded ammo, but happy to say I no longer have the gun.

Ricochet
05-10-2008, 08:53 PM
That's one sort of gun I've never been tempted to buy.

trickyasafox
05-10-2008, 09:53 PM
oh man! I love the AR platform. I think it is functional and a lot of fun

Ricochet
05-11-2008, 01:57 PM
I'm sure it is. I just don't find them attractive. Go figure.

carpetman
05-11-2008, 04:57 PM
I think the smaller rounds like .223 are not actually wolf cases but coyotes or maybe foxes.

trickyasafox
05-11-2008, 06:45 PM
perhaps 223 would be a feisty badger?

Beaverhunter2
05-12-2008, 10:11 PM
I guess that over in Europe they have a tool kind of like a can opener that has a couple of little claws that bite into the primer and then pull it out with some sort of lever arrangement.

They have them over here, too. At least they did. My brother got me one about 15 or 20 years ago to reload 7.62x39mm when brass was still hard to find. My tool was made by RCBS.

John