PDA

View Full Version : OK lube guru's

Calamity Jake
05-24-2015, 05:30 PM
What's a good additive to stiffen and raise melt point of SPG? bees wax? or other?

runfiverun
05-24-2015, 05:58 PM
carnuba wax.
3-5% it's melt point is a good 30-f above beeswax and it's addition will raise the melt point of the lube.

if your spg is just super squishy and wet then adding more beeswax will stiffen it up,
the oils in the lube can overwhelm the carriers ability to hold it all in place and all you need is more wax to hold it in place.

Calamity Jake
05-24-2015, 11:57 PM
Thanks runfiver I will give carnuba and some beeswax a shot.

fryboy
05-25-2015, 08:38 AM
cant add much to what 5R5 stated except candelilla wax is also a hard wax ( but i too reach for the carnuba - oft called the queen of waxes )
in generality more oil/grease or less wax equates a softer lube , more wax or less oil/grease equates a stiffer lube , yes, it really is that easy to tweak for local climate and seasonal weather changes , usually without adverse affects to the lube ( when used within reason that is as adding 3 #'s of anything to a pound of lube will alter it rather severely :p )

cajun shooter
06-15-2015, 08:20 AM
I use a Lee .07 powder dipper and add 3 of those with a small raised area of Carnauba Flakes to my BP NASA lube so that it works in the Louisiana heat and humidity. The good thing about the Carnauba Flakes is that they will add a nice sheen to the bore after a few uses.
Just be careful and add in small amounts as it takes very little to make a big difference, Later David

44man
06-22-2015, 12:18 PM
SPG is junk to start with, hard to say what to add. Lanolin would be my try.