PDA

View Full Version : Pure Lead Worth $1/lb? Access to 1000s lbs.

psychbiker
05-24-2015, 03:43 PM
I'm getting my supplies together. I live in California and figure at 33, when I have kids, they'll only be able to have nerf guns so being able to make my own bullets is key.

I have probably 500lbs right now BUT have access to 1000+ lbs of pure lead in ballast form in 1lb and 20lb blocks. Seller is only selling in 1000lb lots which seems insane to me.

That said, is $1lb worth it? I'm loading 9mm, 40, 45, 30cal for 308/300 black, eventual 223.

John Boy
05-24-2015, 04:18 PM
Scrap yard lead in sheet for is now 80 cents a pound - these are ingots! You decide

dubber123
05-24-2015, 04:54 PM
Are you positive it is pure? Ballast is often made up of whatever lead alloy is available cheaply. $1/lb isn't bad for much of anything, but real pure stuff usually goes for a bit more around here.

GLL
05-24-2015, 06:11 PM
I pay 90 cents- $1.00 for soft lead. For a 1000 pounds you might ask for a slight discount !
That 1000 pounds on a pallett is not a very big pile of lead though ! :) :)

Jerry "GLL"

bangerjim
05-24-2015, 07:11 PM
I generally pay $1/# for anything "lead" - pure, hardball, tin, ingotized COWW's, and anything else that shows up.

Since you in CA, lead may get hard to find?!?!? The Left Coast as a big h-on for that favorite condor food!

bangerjim

Bigslug
05-25-2015, 03:33 AM
For what you're currently loading, pure (or close to it) may not be the best large purchase to make unless you have a ready source of hardeners. Don't get me wrong - it's great to have it around to use for getting more mileage out of the extra hard alloys you'll inevitably come across, but you probably don't want to buy it with the attitude that a thousand pounds of straight lead will have you set for life, leaving you set with nothing else to buy. You'll be glad to have it, but you won't be "done"

Jim Flinchbaugh
05-26-2015, 09:34 AM
In Ca, it would be good for trading stock if nothing else. Find someone to go in with you if you dont want that much.

1000- pounds sounds like a lot till you see it in a square pile

Hardcast416taylor
05-26-2015, 11:31 AM
I pay my scrap yard .95 cents/lb. for any type lead. I am picky on the soft lead issue and only pick out the ingots or other pieces that I know are soft lead or are marked as such. Kinda amazing how much lead in ingoted form that was used by the plumbing trade, etc., is winding up at salvage yards. My last time I stopped there I wound up with 135 lbs. of pure lead in 5 lb. ingots all marked pure lead from a plumbing shop, I was told. The occasional linotype ingot also makes my day a little brighter.Robert

Springfield
05-26-2015, 12:29 PM
pshchbiker: You aren't going to find pure lead for any cheaper. I know, I have been looking and buying it for a couple of years now to have something to mix with my wheelweight lead. If you are anywhere close to me I would trade you your pure, if it really is, for WW if you need to. Also have a large pile of Hardball lead, which is even harder than WW, which I would trade also. I do mostly blackpowder shooting so softer is better for me.

2wheelDuke
05-26-2015, 12:35 PM
Check against the swapping and selling section here. You can get wheel weight ingots for around the same price in much smaller quantities and shipped right to your door about 65# at a time.

I'd personally have to see a good bit less than $1/lb to move on a 1,000 pound lot. But I don't live in CA and I have other supplies open to me. As others have noted, ballast is usually whatever would melt. It might be whatever tire shops had, old pipes, or maybe it's a gold mine and it came when the newspapers were getting away from lead plates. Maybe you can see about getting some samples tested if you can find an agreeable guy for that then decide.

But for that sort of money, I'd personally look into a shipment of certified composition casting alloy from Rotometals, Widener's, or even Swapping & Selling here instead.

62chevy
05-26-2015, 01:33 PM
The only thing that would stop me from buying it is the 1000 #. Around here that last lead I bought from a scrap yard was $1.75 a pound. About 80 cents cheaper than Rotometals but then theirs is certified.

Steve Steven
05-26-2015, 08:38 PM
Dubber123 said " Ballast is often made up of whatever lead alloy is available cheaply." but this is not always true, the Navy requires its ballast lead to IAW Mil-L-171, grade B which is required to be 95% lead, 5% anything else. You normally get pure lead, I know, I have a number of lead bricks marked Mil-L-171 and they "thud" when dropped & soft enough to be marked by fingernail.

Steve

RogerDat
05-27-2015, 01:48 PM
That is a big commitment to lead that won't be of much use for smokeless reloading without something else added to it. Considering that 60# of WW or berm lead ingots cost about the same in swapping and selling even with shipping cost. That WW and berm lead is pretty much bullet ready. That 1000 lbs. of ballast would have to be something better than plain to make bullets (except muzzle loading).

Unless you want to buy 1000 lbs. of plain then invest in 1000 lbs. of WW's to mix with it, or significant amounts of other alloy to bring it up to a hardness suitable for smokeless bullets you won't be able to use it. So your original $1000 investment is probably no more than half way to a bullet making stash. If you can make that "double" financial commitment (and pool acid test shows no zinc) then not a bad price, and half way to your first ton.

Me I would try for more balance with my first $1000 investment. For the money I would rather have 800 lbs. (swapping & selling) I could turn into bullets than 1000 lbs. that is only usable to the extent I purchase additional lead alloys. Or even the approx. 400 lbs. of excellent known good alloy from Rotometals. Or some combination. Pile of lead is a pile of lead, pile of bullet lead is useful.

lightman
05-27-2015, 03:00 PM
Lots of good advice and ideas. A dollar a pound would not tempt me, but I have been pretty successful scrounging free or cheap lead. I also live in a different place than you do. It also sounds like I have a head start on you, so the $1/lb might look different if I was short. I would look at paying a little more from one of the bullet companies or Roto-Metals for a known usable alloy. Roto-Metals runs sales sometimes. The swapping and selling section offers a more usable alloy for about the same price.

psychbiker
05-27-2015, 03:45 PM
How about 97/3 with the 3% being antimony. I can add some tin to help casting.

I have roughly 200lbs of Lino/mono already.

dragon813gt
05-27-2015, 04:06 PM
How about 97/3 with the 3% being antimony. I can add some tin to help casting.

I have roughly 200lbs of Lino/mono already.

Use the lead alloy calculator to see what the mixing ratios would be. I personally have no need for that much pure. But it's always good trade bait. W/out an XRF analysis I would not treat it as pure. Ballast lead can be anything.

Eddie Southgate
08-20-2020, 08:31 PM
I'd buy it in 1 lb ingots for $1 per pound , not crazy about the 20lb blocks . I shoot cartridge and black powder so I like to find large lots of soft lead . Just buy you a bunch of lino and mix it however hard you need for whatever you are doing at the time and mark any left over so you can keep up with what it is .

Don't really understand why Pure lead would cost more than an alloy since everything you normally add to lead to harden an alloy cost considerable more than lead .

ascast
08-20-2020, 08:42 PM
i wish i could buy in that quantity at that price- fpr 230 grns 45's. that's over 60,000 boolits. you might just flip it on/via flea bay and make some cash

ulav8r
08-20-2020, 08:53 PM
long gone by now.

bangerjim
08-21-2020, 11:55 AM
This thread is 5 years old! OMG!

fredj338
08-21-2020, 03:16 PM
I would be a buyer, especially if you dont have to melt it down into ingots. Propane isnt free.

Green Lizzard
08-21-2020, 05:32 PM
I was given part of a sailboat keel, as is the bullets test 12 bhn and shoot very good

Bill

mac1911
08-23-2020, 10:57 AM
If anyone has the money to buy bulk lead especially in known areas of difficulty getting it grab it. You should be able to sell off as needed or trade. i have a small group of muzzle stuffers who will pay me more per pound for my small lyman ignots of soft lead as they do not want to bother smelting scrap or mail order. That season is upon us and I have a few lbs set aside for when they call.

Conditor22
08-23-2020, 11:56 AM
Back in 05-24-2015, when this thread was started $1 a pound was too much money to pay. even now I won't pay $1 a pound for pure, there are many sources for pure.
COWW and Linotype are a different story.

quilbilly
08-29-2020, 01:56 PM
I just bought 90# of absolutely clean, pure, sheet lead for $1 per pound at a recycler. The fact that it is clean and ready to alloy for whatever purpose will little dross makes it worth every penney.

dangitgriff
09-18-2020, 09:03 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200919/937b359579e997f7e8502b80b5803872.jpg

rototerrier
09-18-2020, 09:17 PM
Buy it all! Convert the paper notes into something valuable while you still can.

john.k
09-18-2020, 10:51 PM
Can be risky ...at one time Nickle was $11/lb,$22K/tonne.......Big risk with stashes of metal is theft....of course in Cali,it could also be legislated as toxic waste.

Teemu
09-19-2020, 01:32 AM
Hmm... Here in Finland Pb is something like 1850$ / 1000 kg Thats bourse price. If you try to buy from metal wholesale price is very different. Like 2.8€ + tax. for 1000kg and that's minimum amount to sell 1000 kg. So they sell only companys and price is that. Of course you can buy on junk yard if you wan't. But if you need to get exact pure lead and ingots like 45kg/ pcs that's only way to get it. Some bigger junkyard business has sometimes big lead ingots but few of those companys has that hand held analyzer so you can be sure to get pure lead without contaminants