PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Polaris ?

gew98
05-24-2015, 10:34 AM
Looking at a buying a 2013 Polaris 4wd bench seat with dump bed and windscreen cab no doors. 260 hours on it. Can get it for $6k. Is it a deal ?. I'm thinking it is but sure would like to hear from some with knowledge of that make.

runfiverun
05-24-2015, 11:20 AM
well that's about a third the price of a new one.
not sure if it's a great deal but it sounds fair, I don't see many used ones for sale around here and they sure are popular.

B.T.W.
I have had real good luck with Polaris 4 wheelers except for their battery's, I seem to need a new one every couple of years..
some of it might be because I don't ride mine often enough.

Tackleberry41
05-24-2015, 01:36 PM
I never was fond of the Polaris 4 wheelers. Friend had one, rode ok, but that drive belt tended to be the issue. Didn't seem to take much to tear it up. Knew some people who had a whole pile of them for grandkids to ride, they were always towing one back, usually that belt, or the horribly expensive CV axles.

All I have ever owned is Hondas.

str8shot426
05-24-2015, 01:45 PM
The base models start around 8K. Accessories cost a lot too. Sounds like a good deal

Bullwolf
05-25-2015, 12:07 AM
well that's about a third the price of a new one.
not sure if it's a great deal but it sounds fair, I don't see many used ones for sale around here and they sure are popular.

B.T.W.
I have had real good luck with Polaris 4 wheelers except for their battery's, I seem to need a new one every couple of years..
some of it might be because I don't ride mine often enough.

One of the tricks I've learned over the years is to just disconnect the battery on the ATV whenever I've finished using it.

I normally just pull the ground. I've been doing this with my Ford 3910 tractor as well. My Case D9 crawler has a battery disconnect switch, so I don't have to do it on the Case. If you have a truck or a car that's going to be sitting for a while, it sure seems to help.

It's kind of a hassle, and I had to get into the habit of doing it every time. If I want to go drive the ATV to turn off the well at night or something, I'll have to hook up the battery first before doing so.

However it's really helped me extend my battery life, and I very rarely encounter a dead battery from sitting untended anymore.

I do it with my motorcycle as well now, since I don't ride it daily. A battery tender would likely work as well, but I'm not going to leave something like that plugged in on the farm for any length of time.

- Bullwolf

osteodoc08
05-26-2015, 12:04 AM
What model is it? There are several model Rangers. There's mid size and full size and 570, 800, 900cc gas motor options as well as electric and diesel.

maintenance and condition play a bunch in price as well. Need a bunch more info before making judgement

white eagle
05-27-2015, 11:41 AM
I have had a 1995 polaris 400 4x4 explorer for 12 years
I bought it used
never had a problem with it except a small leak in the tire
been through hell with it
does everything little farming,logging pulling trailers.log splitters hauling cargo
never missed a beat

Lloyd Smale
05-27-2015, 12:27 PM
those aren't really low hours for one of them. Its about average if not a bit high for a 2 year old machine. I think that price is a decent price but not a steal. dump box is standard the roof and windshield probably add 200 bucks to its value. I fought my unreliable rzr so much that if was me buying a Polaris id insist it had been serviced by the dealership and would want to see the records. The 570 and 900 motors are pretty much bullet proof but the 700 and 800s weren't the best atv motors compared to the competition. Especially the 800

dakotashooter2
05-29-2015, 01:00 PM
My uncle picked one up (2012 or 13 I think) for $5 K and had someone offer him $7K for it. So you are in the ballpark.

timspawn
05-29-2015, 02:48 PM
I bought a 2005 500cc Ranger new. I put it through hell here in FL. Water, sand and water with sand floating in it. I never abused it by mudding or over loading it. It would carry 1000 pounds of corn, some of which I put in a front rack. All I ever replaced were U joints and a yoke. That was because of water and sand. I never had to replace the belt like a lot of guys did. They abused theirs. I'd say 5k to 6k would be a good price. Check Craigslist and see what people are asking for them in your area.

NSB
05-29-2015, 04:35 PM
Check Kelly Blue Book. They list motorcycles and ATVs as well as cars and trucks.

gew98
05-29-2015, 04:50 PM
Going to get it tommorrow. Only a 2hour drive . It's a 500 cc.

Lloyd Smale
05-30-2015, 07:48 AM
buddys has had a 500 for about 5 years and its been a great machine. I think he paid 8k new for it so 5k would probably be fair if in good shape.

osteodoc08
05-30-2015, 09:18 PM
The 500cc Fuji motor is known for its reliability. Take care of it and it'll take care of you. I never had any issues out of my Ranger 800. Thirsty. But I took care of it and it took care of me.

Lloyd Smale
05-31-2015, 07:51 AM
Polaris no longer uses Fuji motors. there in house American made motors called liberty motors. THe atvs were the first to see them starting with the 700 twin and now even there 2 stroke snowmobile motors are in house motors.

30Carbine
05-31-2015, 09:02 AM
I have a little over 16,000 miles on my 2013 rzr s 800 blue fire. the only thing I have done is put a gates belt on it and one rear axle. to be fair to the machine the belt and axle were operator error. trees rip right through the axle boots and apparently they don't make good log skidders (aka the belt don't like to be log skidders).. see avatar for machine have doors on it now need to update pic.

gew98
05-31-2015, 05:54 PM
Got it home yesterday and had a blast. Took it to places in my woods and the neighbors woods - with them too... that were hard to get at with 4 wheelers due to saw briars and all. It is super clean , runs like a champ. No dents , scratches or damage. Seller is a farmer and took good care of it. He got a yamaha 3 seater to take it's place as his 19 & 13 yr old boys go where he goes on the 500 + acre farm. Anyhow the only thing I need to address is replacing the front tires. One has 5 plugs in it as he got into some barbed wire he found the hard way. It has carlisle at 489 25x8x12. I found on ebay some super deals on those fronts by the pair.... but I let my ebay thing go 10 + years ago and they someohow want to charge me fees to make my long ago dead account active again. So does anyone know where such tires new or not used much can be had ?. I tried doing searches for such but got spammed to all hell on most of the useless links. There has to be guys that swapped out their decent tires for crazy mudders and want to get rid of their stock tires I'd think. I have to dig around my junk and find those couple M16 vehicle mount racks I squirreled away long ago...they would be killer on my little UTV !.

osteodoc08
06-01-2015, 08:02 AM
Polaris no longer uses Fuji motors. there in house American made motors called liberty motors. THe atvs were the first to see them starting with the 700 twin and now even there 2 stroke snowmobile motors are in house motors.

Correct, but the 500 was the last of them. The last 500 motors were used in the 2013 lineup. It was replaced with the 570 prostar series of motors.

Lloyd Smale
06-03-2015, 07:28 AM
mine was a 2009 and I replaced both rear axles, one front hub, and a motor at 800 due to dust injestion (a very common problem with them). At 1100 it was making noise at low speeds and I took it to the dealer and he said it was a gear in the tranny and it needed rebuilding. I traded it on the spot. I was told later when they opened up the tranny every bearing in it was wiped. A chunk of gear came loose inside and grenaded the hole thing. this was another common problem with the 800 rzrs. If a spinning tire all of a sudden hooked up the transmision gears would break. Supposedly why they put a different transmision in the 900 and 1000s. Keep in mind that im a 57 year old man. Id hate to see what would be left of one if you turned a teenager loose with it.