PDA

View Full Version : Possibly Good Score

dsbock
05-23-2015, 01:30 PM
Stopped at a garage sale and picked up some dive weights. Around 30 pounds for $6.

It is mystery metal, but it's pretty soft. The 1lb and 3lb weights weigh out to their markings. The 5lb weights are a skosh lighter. Between 4.75 and 5lbs each. I haven't weighed the 8lb marked weights yet. Works out to about $0.20 per pound.

Fingers crossed that it's good.

David

GoBig
05-23-2015, 01:55 PM
Sweet score! Hopefully it's a useful alloy.

62chevy
05-23-2015, 02:49 PM
The color looks like all the old soft lead I've seen, fingers crossed it's good stuff.

Yodogsandman
05-23-2015, 06:39 PM
Nice! Good find!

DonMerlin
05-24-2015, 06:35 AM
Good stuff!

RogerDat
05-27-2015, 02:58 PM
20 cents is a good deal, plain soft lead or homemade from WW's either way that is a nice score at a good price.

GoodOlBoy
05-27-2015, 03:23 PM
bottom right hand 3lber should be a old Dive Pearls weight. Yes should be pure lead. Top two 8s look like maybe US Divers brand weights. Should be almost pure lead. The other three look to be home cast, or shop cast. double check the hardness on them, BUT they look to be the age before shops were starting to use zinc and trash in their weights.

good find. by the way IF they turn out to be crud metal in the home/shop cast ones don't worry. Put them on ebay as dive weights and you will easily get your money back.

GoodOlBoy

dsbock
05-27-2015, 11:34 PM
It was suggested I check with local dive shops because they might be interested in buying the weights. Possibly at up to $2/lb.

I find it unlikely, but worth a try.

David

RogerDat
05-28-2015, 06:57 PM
It was suggested I check with local dive shops because they might be interested in buying the weights. Possibly at up to $2/lb.

David

If it does work out that dive shop buys them and you can get scrap yard lead for < or = $1 a lb. you could do pretty good. Never hurts to check.

dsbock
05-28-2015, 10:25 PM
If it does work out that dive shop buys them and you can get scrap yard lead for < or = $1 a lb. you could do pretty good. Never hurts to check.

Scrap yards around here won't sell to individuals. At least not that I've found.

Still going to check with the dive shops. If they do buy, I can put the money towards RotoMetals.

David

GoodOlBoy
05-28-2015, 11:21 PM
yeah if you can make money on it go for it.

GoodOlBoy

RogerDat
05-29-2015, 11:06 AM
One scrap yard around here sells to the public, the one just down the road doesn't. Go figure! If not for a member telling me about the one in the area that does sell to the public I would not have known of any around here.

Rotometals is good but for general plinking ammo I don't think you can beat the swapping & selling forum here. Your money goes further buying person to person. Now if you really need precise control of the alloy... you have to pay foundry prices but if that level of precision is not needed half foundry price from a reputable member here is the cost effective choice.

dsbock
05-31-2015, 01:11 AM
Rotometals is good but for general plinking ammo I don't think you can beat the swapping & selling forum here. Your money goes further buying person to person. Now if you really need precise control of the alloy... you have to pay foundry prices but if that level of precision is not needed half foundry price from a reputable member here is the cost effective choice.

Good point. I'm not a competition shooter. Plinking and hunting are where my boolits go. I always like to get the most bang for my bucks. Yes, the pun was intended. ;-)

David

mac1911
05-31-2015, 08:12 AM

David

Yes some pay decent prices... and they will put them on the shelf for more money.... local shop here sells a 3pc 2lb sets for 20$. They even have began plating them with epoxy themselves.

dsbock
06-15-2015, 04:53 PM
Finally got in touch with a local dive shop. They offer $1 - $1.25 per pound. That's $30+ on my $6 investment.

I'll have to take them in and see what they say.

David

dsbock
07-11-2015, 11:41 PM
Finally stopped in at the dive shop. He bought the 8lb and the 5lb weights at $1/lb. So I got $26 for the weights I paid $6 for with 4lb of pretty soft weights left over to keep. I will now officially regard this as a good score. ;-)

David