PDA

View Full Version : killed something today with a castboolit

The Nyack Kid
10-04-2005, 06:37 PM
I Killed my first four legged critter (crows dont count see) with a cast boolit from my 45-70 today .

the story goes thus "it was a dark and stormy night" ... it was a kindof rainy 2 in the afternoon . "i was in pucker brush tall as a man , visablity was poor. "... i was walking down a logging road in the middle of burn . "with a tramendous roar , that would make the strongest man wet himself, the beast started a charge twards me "... it was running away . "i turned to my trusty gun bearer for my big bore " .... my dumb dog was peeing on a tree . " I fired as soon as i could smell the putrid breath of the beast " .... it was over a 100 yard away i have a stuffy nose and cant smell myself even after hours of work . " the first shot bounced off of the great animal . so i readyed a 490 gr solid for the next shot as my life flashes before my eyes..... 490 gr solids are all that i had in the gun , and if my life flashes before my eyes im going to die of boredom. " this beast, surly, will go down in history as the greatest maneater ever slain " ... it was a puny little coyote ..... but it was a kill nontheless with a cast boolit . :razz:

waksupi
10-04-2005, 07:11 PM
Nyack, I imagine that big ol' bullet just ruined that coyotes' day.
Got snow up on the pass yet?

The Nyack Kid
10-04-2005, 08:12 PM
ive been hanging out at other places and most all of the meatheads claim that a boolit (premuim of course) slower than 3000 fps ,bounce off of game bigger than a chipmunk .so i was suprised when the boolit ,going up the south end of a north bound coyote ,exited .
i havent been up to the pass yet so i dont know . the snow looked to be at about the 6500 ft elevation which high than the pass .it just anit cold anough down low yet . soon very soon

waksupi
10-04-2005, 10:42 PM
I imagine if you could line up about half dozen of those yodelers, you could shoot completely through all of them!

MT Gianni
10-04-2005, 11:50 PM
Snow levels have flirted about 4000-4500 feet in Missoula. Light and turning to wet by 10:00 am but its coming. Gianni. Congrats on the coyote!

9.3X62AL
10-04-2005, 11:56 PM
I imagine if you could line up about half dozen of those yodelers, you could shoot completely through all of them!

Just like the old market hunters in a punt boat with a flock of mallards, it sounds like. Coyotes DO count, for sure. I didn't get the Beretta 96 out of the holster on Sunday when a yaller dog (Elmer Keith-ism for "coyote") busted out of a brush clump while I was deer scouting the local mountains. Marie said, "Wow, they're fast!" Left unsaid was the corresponding "Damn, yer slow!" Kind of her, that last.

Randy in Arizona
10-05-2005, 01:30 AM
Y'all Northern types talking about snow reminds me what I like about Southern Arizona! The snow stays on the mountains where it belongs!

:hijack:

The Nyack Kid
10-07-2005, 08:21 PM
no snow down low yet . we have gotten a LOT of rain in the last three weeks (when did it start raining anyways ?!?!?!) last i heard we have gotten 7.5 inches in West Glacier since the start of september . back in my wild college days , us forestry students had to run a couple of snow survey sites . the snow ran from .125 inches of water per inch of snow on the wet side to .083 on the dry side(if memory my serves me .....which it probly dont) that means that is it were cold cold enough out we would have .....hold on need a calculator..... 60 to 90 inches of snow. .....mommy!!! thats like alot . course back in 96-97 we had some 27 feet of snow fall that year.

waksupi
10-08-2005, 12:11 AM
) that means that is it were cold cold enough out we would have .....hold on need a calculator..... 60 to 90 inches of snow. .....mommy!!! thats like alot . course back in 96-97 we had some 27 feet of snow fall that year.

Man, I'm glad I live down here in the banana belt. I only had 18 feet of snow that year. I remember driving through your area that winter, and a person sure wasn't going to be driving off the side of the road until June or so!