PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 1895 30.06 Take-Down

Just Duke
03-18-2008, 09:46 PM
I have a deal I am working on to aquire a NIB Winchester 1895 30.06 Take-Down.
What I am wondering is can I shoot military ball (Greek) and it be safe?
Of course I would reload the cases with Cast Bullets.

I wish it was a 405 though. Be much better for big lead bullets.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/EBRSOPMODS/50%20CALIBERFORUM/189530--06TAKE-DOWN.gif

6pt-sika
03-18-2008, 10:17 PM
If you look on Gunbroker , Auctionarms and Gunsamerica you can most likely find a nice NIB 1895 in 405 WCF ! But be prepared to pay about $1200 I think !

jhrosier
03-18-2008, 10:43 PM
Duke,
When you see the price of .405 brass, you might change your mind.
I have the .405 and I recently got a good deal on a browning 1895, in '06.
I snapped it up quick and really appreciate having a seemingly endless supply of cheap (free) brass.
Another reason that I wanted it is because it uses half as much lead alloy as the .405.
Darn stuff is getting harder to find every day.
BTW, the Browning looks good and shoots as well as it looks.
That's a fine looking rifle you have there. I've wanted a take-down lever gun for some time but they always seem to be financially just out of reach.

Jack

Just Duke
03-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Duke,
When you see the price of .405 brass, you might change your mind.
I have the .405 and I recently got a good deal on a browning 1895, in '06.
I snapped it up quick and really appreciate having a seemingly endless supply of cheap (free) brass.
Another reason that I wanted it is because it uses half as much lead alloy as the .405.
Darn stuff is getting harder to find every day.
BTW, the Browning looks good and shoots as well as it looks.
That's a fine looking rifle you have there. I've wanted a take-down lever gun for some time but they always seem to be financially just out of reach.

Jack

OUCH! My cost is $1.00 a piece. :shock:

Yea 30.06 would be the way to go but I still have a "lead on" for the famous 405 Winchester. thanks for the heads up on the 405 guy.

Just Duke
03-18-2008, 10:57 PM
If you look on Gunbroker , Auctionarms and Gunsamerica you can most likely find a nice NIB 1895 in 405 WCF ! But be prepared to pay about $1200 I think !

Thanks Sika I will check it out.

Just Duke
03-18-2008, 11:50 PM
This is cool!

#21 Type Blued Receiver Sight for Model 95 & 86's

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,7197.html

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,7199.html

Can't find a cast bullet mould with a gas check.

Le Loup Solitaire
03-19-2008, 12:24 AM
A box of 50 cases is an instock item with Midsouth shooters Supply for around $40They are manufactured by Hornady and its good strong brass. The most popular cast boolit for the 405 is Lyman #412263 which is the original bullet design for the 405. It weighs around 290 grains and can be loaded to around 2200 fps which was pretty much the factory velocity in the heyday of the 1895/405. It wallops at both ends. The mold is a special order item through Midsouth for 40 some odd dollars and a short waiting time. It is written up currently by another forum member. I dunno about Greek ammo specs, but you can always load some empty 06 brass and work up a good loading with the help of a good loading manual. The 1895 is a great rifle. Mine is a Win original with 5 serial numbers and I take good care of it. LLS

Just Duke
03-19-2008, 01:40 AM
I started a new thread over here on the 405. Great topic by the way.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=308724&posted=1#post308724

StrawHat
03-19-2008, 06:46 AM
Technology keeps improving every day.

The original 1895 chambered for the 30-06 had problems with full pressure loads and from what I read, developed set back issues with the locking lugs.

That being said, the new Browning guns are being rebarreled to some impressive cartridges.

Since you are getting the takedown model, consider having separate front ends made for it.

30-06, 35 Whelan, and 411 Hawk should cover North America and then some.

All on the 06 case so brass is relatively inexpensive.

bigbear
03-19-2008, 08:23 AM
This is cool!

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,7199.html

Can't find a cast bullet mould with a gas check.

Just put one of those sights on my Browning 1895 in 30'06. I'll find out how it works this weekend..

xtimberman
03-19-2008, 10:31 AM
See if you can find Lyman/Ideal 311284 or 311290. Both are GC moulds and mine cast bullets that weigh ~220-225gr. when lubed with GC.

These two lead bullets work just great in that '95 action and magazine.

xtm

Just Duke
12-05-2008, 01:23 AM
405 would be my flavor though this gun is funny to load. They slide into a cartridge box.
It is also as some find awkward to carry.

:castmine:

xtimberman
12-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Funny to load? Different maybe, but I seldom give it much thought I'm so used to the routine.

Awkward to carry? I've seen that recurring comment pop up frequently in print over the years and I don't agree with the premise. Whoever wrote that originally must have had tiny little hands with short fingers! :mrgreen: I frequently carry mine gripped across the forward portion of the action at the balance point - just like I do my '86. (BTW, you need to load 'em up as when you're hunting to see where the balance point really is - particularly when the rifle is chambered for the big heavy cartridges.)

I believe that the other Browning-designed leverguns might have slightly more aesthetically-pleasing lines than the 1895 - but not much more. I consider my '95 a real beaut - and handy, too! :-D

xtm

leadeye
12-05-2008, 10:05 AM
I'm still drooling over the pictures. One of the better looking rifles made.

xtimberman
12-05-2008, 10:44 AM

BTW, I bought one of these sights directly from Peabody for use on my 1886. From them, it comes to you with the proper drill and tap and really good installation instructions. Sometime in the distant past, mine - like many other '86s and '95s had already been drilled and tapped for a #21 - but with the incorrect size hole and threads. All I had to do was drill out the old holes and re-tap. Not counting disassembly and reassembly, the whole installation took me ~30 min. and other than its newer finish, it looks like it's been on there for 100 years. After a little carrying wear, it'll match up really nice. :)

Once I got my sights regulated for the bullet/powder combo I shoot, I pushed down the thumb nut to anchor it in place. I've carried it around by hand on several hunts and in a saddle scabbard on an ATV and the sights have not moved one iota.

You can acquire a sight picture really fast with this sight.

xtm

LGS
12-05-2008, 06:40 PM
I just picked up a really nice Browning 1895 in 3006. I want to put a peep sight on for hunting. Do you think the #21 would be better then the regular Lyman sight. The rifle needs to be drilled and tapped for the Lyman 66.

xtimberman
12-05-2008, 07:30 PM
I just picked up a really nice Browning 1895 in 3006. I want to put a peep sight on for hunting. Do you think the #21 would be better then the regular Lyman sight. The rifle needs to be drilled and tapped for the Lyman 66.

Which would you prefer - a modern-looking sight or an old timey-looking one like the originals had? The #66 probably has more precision adjustments than the #21, but I never move the adjustments on my Lyman/Peabody #21. If the rifle already had holes drilled and plugged for a #66 sight, I'd go with that. If I had to punch holes for either, I'd go with the Lyman/Peabody #21.

My #21 is mounted on a 1886 - not a 1895 - so I don't exactly know what the job to install would be. My 1895 has an old Marbles tang sight made especially for a '95 already installed on it, and I can tell you that I would prefer any receiver-mounted sight to the tang sight that came on it. It sort of gets in the way of my thumb if I'm not careful, but works OK for my needs and will stay put.

xtm

StrawHat
12-06-2008, 08:26 AM

So you have something to compare with the Lyman 21, here's mine.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/Win1895action002.jpg

I did this before the reproduction L21s became available. Not sure if I'd change it or not. Probably not as I've gotten used to it.

Like xtimberman, I rarely move the sights. One load, one setting and get used to it.

garandsrus
12-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Duke,

No-one answered your question :) Yes, you should be able to shoot Greek ball ammo in the rifle. I believe that the Greek ball ammo still meets SAMI specs.

However, you may not want to... The Greek ammo is loaded hotter than LC. As such, it kicks pretty good in a light rifle. It is more accurate in my rifles than LC.

You may consider just pulling the bullets and then reload the cases for cast with an appropriate powder charge. The cases have a three prong "crimp" but the crimp does not need to be removed before reloading the cases.

If you do pull the bullets, it works well to seat them a little deeper to break the seal and then use a collet puller. You can pull several hundred in an hour.

John

EchoSixMike
12-06-2008, 04:21 PM
A lot of the Greek ammo issued at the Garand match a year or two back was all over the place as far as pressure and accuracy goes. Squibs, hangfires and just plain duds were not uncommon. I'd use just about anything else if I could. S/F.....Ken M

Nrut
12-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Awkward to carry? I've seen that recurring comment pop up frequently in print over the years and I don't agree with the premise. Whoever wrote that originally must have had tiny little hands with short fingers! :mrgreen: I frequently carry mine gripped across the forward portion of the action at the balance point - just like I do my '86. (BTW, you need to load 'em up as when you're hunting to see where the balance point really is - particularly when the rifle is chambered for the big heavy cartridges.)

xtm

I have to disagree with the above statment completely xtm....I have xtra large hands and both of my Winchester/Miroku 1895's (30-06 and 405TD) balance on the magazines not forward of the receiver.... I have a friend that had an orignal 95 in .303 Brit with a 26" or 28" long barrel and it balanced quite nicely in front of the magazine...The 1886 is a much better fit to the hand than the 1895 with a shorter barrel IMO..

Just Duke
01-15-2009, 04:16 AM
I have to disagree with the above statment completely xtm....I have xtra large hands and both of my Winchester/Miroku 1895's (30-06 and 405TD) balance on the magazines not forward of the receiver.... I have a friend that had an orignal 95 in .303 Brit with a 26" or 28" long barrel and it balanced quite nicely in front of the magazine...The 1886 is a much better fit to the hand than the 1895 with a shorter barrel IMO..

Sounds good.

xtimberman
01-15-2009, 06:26 PM

I'm sorry that you disagree completely..... :???:

:kidding: :-D Where is the smilie beating the dead horse?

Here are a couple of pics of MY 1895 and MY 1886 showing approximately where the balance points are located when fully loaded. Both balance points are essentially in the same place - right at the juncture of the wooden fore-end and the action. The normal place where I carry both is mostly on the fore-end wood. My point was that the fixed magazine of the '95 - at least in this case - is a non-issue.

I dearly love both rifle designs, but particularly the 1895.

xtm

Just Duke
01-15-2009, 06:38 PM
I'm sorry that you disagree completely..... :???:

:kidding: :-D Where is the smilie beating the dead horse?

Here are a couple of pics of MY 1895 and MY 1886 showing approximately where the balance points are located when fully loaded. Both balance points are essentially in the same place - right at the juncture of the wooden fore-end and the action. The normal place where I carry both is mostly on the fore-end wood. My point was that the fixed magazine of the '95 - at least in this case - is a non-issue.

I dearly love both rifle designs, but particularly the 1895.

xtm

Real nice rifles. :-D