PDA

View Full Version : Old Lyman Mould Master parts

Ole Joe Clarke
05-23-2015, 07:23 AM
I'm not sure where to post this, but here goes. Please move if necessary.

I have an old Lyman Mould Master bottom pour pot. The mica insulating plate that holds the male electrical plug shattered and I replaced it with a fiberglass one. The fiberglass one is toast after a casting session yesterday.

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement? Or another solution? The fiberglass will not handle the heat.

I searched the internet last night with no results.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joe

borg
05-23-2015, 11:35 AM
One of my Lymans did that 30 yrs ago, I Mickey Moused mine by hard wiring a male plug to it and let it hang.
Not pretty, but functional.

Ole Joe Clarke
05-23-2015, 02:37 PM
I thought about that after I posted this morning. If I can't find the mica, (which I doubt that I will) I will try that.

Joe

borg
05-23-2015, 06:18 PM
I don't think Lyman even carries the mica plate anymore

oldlincoln
05-23-2015, 06:31 PM
Try HT Kevlar laminate instead of fiberglass.

oldlincoln
05-23-2015, 06:45 PM
My electronics pal PMs me that nomex 410 sheets are the modern replacement for mica. Avaliable in sheets up to 30 mil and cheap.

Ole Joe Clarke
05-24-2015, 07:10 AM
Looked up Nomex on McMaster Carr website, it says that Nomex is heat resistant to 600°. I don't think that is high enough.

Joe

georgerkahn
05-24-2015, 08:32 AM
I took mine apart, and used Sta-con wire butt connectors to add about six inches to each of the two wires, using heat-resistant wires (cottonish insulation?) I took from an old G E electric coffee maker. The new ends, I put on each another butt connector, to which I attached the stock power cord, cut about an inch from stock female end. To be OCD -- and avoid shorts, etc., I used three nylon wire ties to the left leg of pot to keep my jerry-rigged extension from failing -- and I've been using at as such for better than a decade.
geo

Ole Joe Clarke
05-24-2015, 01:50 PM
I took mine apart, and used Sta-con wire butt connectors to add about six inches to each of the two wires, using heat-resistant wires (cottonish insulation?) I took from an old G E electric coffee maker. The new ends, I put on each another butt connector, to which I attached the stock power cord, cut about an inch from stock female end. To be OCD -- and avoid shorts, etc., I used three nylon wire ties to the left leg of pot to keep my jerry-rigged extension from failing -- and I've been using at as such for better than a decade.
geo

Thanks a bunch for the reply. What style butt connectors did you use? Looked them up on the net and there are several different styles.

Joe