PDA

View Full Version : 22 mag vs 17 hmr

starmac
05-22-2015, 01:08 PM
How do the two compare up to coyote size critters?

I have a tbolt in 22 mag, that I am perfectly happy with, A buddy has a 17hmr that is the same, except it is a lefty and wants to trade, being as I shoot left handed.

The other consideration, is how is the availability these days for 17 hmr? 22 mag is unobtainable around here most of the time, but I have a several year supply on hand.

kencha
05-22-2015, 03:05 PM
I personally would be hesitant to use 17hmr on coyote-sized or larger critters. Racoons would be the largest I'd be comfortable with.

Others will argue, and of course shot placement is king. If one insisted on using 17hmr on coyotes, I'd at least stick with the 20gr bullets rather than the 17gr, which I thing are way too explosive, lacking any penetration.

As far as availability, 17HMR was never out of stock here. Even through the worst of the never-ending rimfire shortage, there always seemed to be plenty on the shelf, often being the only rimfire to be found. Many times it was just the 17gr though.

snowwolfe
05-22-2015, 04:58 PM
I think the 17 is the better choice for squirrels and birds but anything bigger
and the .22 mag wins.

I went through a couple of 17's before I found one that would feed and eject 100%. Never had any feeding issues with any .22 mag I owned and I been through a bunch.

17 ammo is a lot easier to find than .22 mag.

McLintock
05-22-2015, 05:28 PM
I had a convertible 10/22 in 22 mag and 17 HMR, so compared them from the same gun, with the same weight bull barrels, stock and trigger set up, and scope set up. The 17 HMR was far more accurate at 100 yards, but far more wind sensitive due to the lighter bullets. For coyotes and other larger vermin I'd stick with the 22 mag and for prairie dogs or squirrel size, I'd go with the 17 HMR so long as it wasn't too windy.
McLintock

05-22-2015, 05:50 PM
The 17 HMR was far more accurate at 100 yards, but far more wind sensitive due to the lighter bullets.
McLintock

No and no, HMR is less effected by wind than the 22wmr, any ballistics program will show less drift for the HMR, not a surprise given it uses a bullet with a higher BC at higher velocity. Shooting both back to back in constant wind the HMR has always given me about 50% less wind drift.
Accuracy seems to be another myth, Ive owned a few of both and in similar quality firearms haven't found any noticeable advantage to either. My current setup a Sako Quad with 17M2, 17HMR, 22LR and 22WMR barrels, the 22WMR shoots just as well is not marginally more accurately than the 17's really it comes down to the quality of the batch of ammo Im using. All 3 hover around moa, 22LR leaves them for dead in accuracy, feed quality Euro target ammo it will average around 0.8moa. Keep in mind these are averages for 10x5 shot groups, groups much smaller are common but so are the occasional bigger group.

HMR is very popular here in Aus for foxes but Ive found the 22WMR a more reliable round for bigger little game (less 20lbs).
Best way to think of the HMR is as suitable for the same game as a 22lr but with twice the range, keep that in mind and you wont be disappointed.

too many things
05-22-2015, 07:00 PM
there is NO penetration with a 17. so you have a hole that didn't go 1in. Mag is far better.

starmac
05-22-2015, 08:15 PM
Well I at first told him no, then got to thinking it would be nice to have the lefty.
It sounds as if I really have no use for the 17, so I think I will keep the 22 mag. I might swap him something else or deal him out of it, just because it is a lefty though.

contender1
05-22-2015, 10:37 PM
Well, I own quite a few different guns & calibers. I am also a state certified Animal Damage Control Agent. In my truck, I carry an AR-15 for longer range work, as well as for bigger critters. I also keep my Ruger 17 HMR in there. I have used it for a lot of critters, up to & including coyotes. Coons, foxes, etc, all will easily fall, even with the 17 grn bullet.
BUT,,,,,,,,, as noted above, a lot depends upon YOU & your needs. When I say this, are you willing to pass on an animal you can not get a GOOD shot on? Will you work hard on shot placement? Will you learn enough about anatomy to know where to place a shot to where it provides a clean kill?
I fully believe in a neck-spine shot. A skull can deflect a bullet, stop a light fragmenting bullet, and be harder to get proper placement. But a base of the skull shot, has the shallowest amount of meat to penetrate, and the spine is the vital life supply for the body. I take only standing shots, on unaware animals in the fox & coyote size. It always reminds me of a carnival shooting gallery when I pull the trigger. "Bang, clang, fall over immediately, not a twitch." I'm usually shooting over a bait on them.
However if the range exceeds 150 yds, I use the AR-15. If I know the range is going to be long, say over 300 yds, I bring out the 270. People pay me for results, not empty promises.
It's what I use, and your choices may be different.

The 22 mag is also an excellent caliber, but due to velocity drop, as well as shorter effective range, followed by the lack of available ammo, I choose the 17 easily.

rollmyown
05-23-2015, 05:51 AM
I bought a CZ 453 in 17 HMR with beautiful timber. I thought it would be perfect for my small block with mild report and very low chance of a ricochet. I ended up being very disappointed in its accuracy and ability to take wallaby sized game cleanly at 120 - 150 meters. Not good with any breeze. I've always been very happy with 22 mag and I thought the 17 would be better. It only disappointed. I'll stay with it's parent round and be happy. YMMV.

Addit: I always thought its lack of accuracy was wind related but perhaps it just wasn't an accurate rifle. I tried every variant of ammo, but no real satisfaction. A friend had the same rifle model in the same caliber. His was only a hair better but that may have just been the shooter. I've always found CZ's to be lazers but not with these rifles.