PDA

View Full Version : Any Idea what CB might stand for?

Duffy
05-22-2015, 11:41 AM
The story so far: I was given a bunch of lead from a guy who was moving to Florida and couldn't take it with him. I received this through an intermediary, so I have no way of contacting the former owner. Most of the lead is easy to identify, WW for wheel weights, backstop for berm mined scrap, PB for soft lead etc. However, I have one batch of muffin tin pucks that have the label CB or LB hand written on them with a sharpie marker. Now, being the cast boolits guy that I am, the only thing I can come up with for an ID of the CB label is just that: Cast Boolits. If the writing is supposed to be "LB" maybe Lead Bullets? Maybe the former owner cherry picked the berm? Any other thoughts on what the "CB" or maybe "LB" label might be?

Thanks....

62chevy
05-22-2015, 12:27 PM
I had the same thoughts as you on CB and LB the only way to know for sure is have them tested or see what temp they melt at and take an educated guess.

Beagle333
05-22-2015, 12:44 PM
No idea what those letters mean.
Testing is cheap. You wouldn't have to save much tin to cover the cost of finding out how much is already in it. 8-)

sqlbullet
05-22-2015, 12:46 PM
The "C" and "L" could be prefix initials for which "b"erm they came from. Perhaps he had two places that he had identified as usually having a certain composition.

It really could have meant anything. Check melting point and hardness and make a guess.

slim1836
05-22-2015, 01:15 PM
Mix them together and they become CLB (Cast Lead Boolits):kidding:

Slim

country gent
05-22-2015, 02:16 PM
Might mean cable sheathing used to be used on telephone lines and splices to complely seal. Check hardness and that may give you a rough idea of what it is also. It can be hard to desipher a code that was an individuals private use only. The only thins other I can come up with is copper babbit and lead babbit that was used for bearings in early machines and ships.

scottfire1957
05-22-2015, 02:28 PM
LB-do the ingots weigh a pound? Lead ball, maybe?

RogerDat
05-22-2015, 07:09 PM
If they berm mined might it mean Copper Bullet (source was jacketed) or Lead Bullets (source was not jacketed). If this is the case I would think the CB would be softer than the LB since the lead inside a copper swim suit can be pretty soft.

I don't berm mine but maybe those that do would sort raw material on this basis? You do know that now that you have asked you are obligated to report all testing results right?
We will all be sympathetic if you have to drive a few hundred mile loop finding a scrap yard to test it but WE WANT TO KNOW THE ANSWER to that test! :kidding:

Rooster
05-22-2015, 10:09 PM
Yeah, a fingernail or sumpin'!

runfiverun
05-22-2015, 11:38 PM
might be for cap and ball if it's soft.

or cast bullets he may have re-melted his bad ones into ingots.

Bigslug
05-23-2015, 02:45 PM
Those ingots could be survivors from the Great North-Peoria Casting War of 1977-79 in which brothers Chris Brown and Larry Brown and their families and closer friends clashed over division of their departed father's massive ingot stash. The Widow Brown, being indifferent to her husband's hobby and not knowing any better, had evenly divided the vast hoard by volume, unaware that Larry was receiving all of the tin, linotype, and wheelweight, and that Chris' half contained nothing but pure, un-alloyed plumber's lead.

Tensions began to mount when Chris attempted to liberate a hand-truck load of tin ingots from Larry's side of their mother's basement. The situation quickly deteriorated as Larry posted friends to guard his share of the inventory as it was being moved, some of whom as it happened, had been bribed by Chris with the promise of a portion, clandestinely liberated large quantities on his behalf. Relationships, knees, lower backs, and the suspensions of small cars were all destroyed in the feud, and the community of North-Peoria carries the scars of the dispute to this day.

Ingots with definitive providence linking them to the Brown conflict are highly sought after collectibles, bringing as much as two to four dollars a pound at recent (2014-15) auctions. These bars are highly cherished by the casters who acquire them, who commonly give a three second pause and a "hmm", before dropping them into their melting pots.

62chevy
05-23-2015, 02:56 PM
Those ingots could be survivors from the Great North-Peoria Casting War of 1977-79 in which brothers Chris Brown and Larry Brown and their families and closer friends clashed over division of their departed father's massive ingot stash. The Widow Brown, being indifferent to her husband's hobby and not knowing any better, had evenly divided the vast hoard by volume, unaware that Larry was receiving all of the tin, linotype, and wheelweight, and that Chris' half contained nothing but pure, un-alloyed plumber's lead.

Tensions began to mount when Chris attempted to liberate a hand-truck load of tin ingots from Larry's side of their mother's basement. The situation quickly deteriorated as Larry posted friends to guard his share of the inventory as it was being moved, some of whom as it happened, had been bribed by Chris with the promise of a portion, clandestinely liberated large quantities on his behalf. Relationships, knees, lower backs, and the suspensions of small cars were all destroyed in the feud, and the community of North-Peoria carries the scars of the dispute to this day.

Ingots with definitive providence linking them to the Brown conflict are highly sought after collectibles, bringing as much as two to four dollars a pound at recent (2014-15) auctions. These bars are highly cherished by the casters who acquire them, who commonly give a three second pause and a "hmm", before dropping them into their melting pots.

I'm almost positive that is what happened. Almost forgot a feud that was almost as famous as the Hatfield and McCoys. Yup sure enough that's it.

chuckbuster
05-23-2015, 08:11 PM

you have WAY TOO MUCH time on your hands.....

runfiverun
05-23-2015, 08:39 PM
or not enough and he needs a nap.

funny though.

Bigslug
05-23-2015, 08:48 PM
you have WAY TOO MUCH time on your hands.....

Would you like to hear my theory on how Egyptian mummies were early attempts at paper-patching the human cannonball?

David2011
05-23-2015, 09:38 PM
Laughed MAO. SWMBO just shook her head.

David

bangerjim
05-23-2015, 09:55 PM
Just take one to a scrap yard and have them x-ray test it and all the mystery and guessing will be over. That is what I do.

I have no idea where you live as you have left that out of your profile. Knowing that is a great help to those of us that are trying to help you.

bangerjim

woodbutcher
05-23-2015, 11:42 PM
[smilie=1:Citizens band?:kidding:
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

mold maker
05-26-2015, 07:31 PM
Copper/Babbitt? \
Lead/Babbitt? / ind bearings.

Landshark9025
05-26-2015, 10:20 PM
Would you like to hear my theory on how Egyptian mummies were early attempts at paper-patching the human cannonball?

You sir, are a genius and have just won the internet.

MBTcustom
05-26-2015, 10:51 PM

Funniest post of 2015. I think I woke Angie up I was laughing so hard!
Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!
Truly epic!!!!!

tommag
05-26-2015, 11:16 PM
Has anybody seen my hip waders?
Funny stuff!

Artful
05-26-2015, 11:22 PM
OMG - called to Jury Duty for one day and almost missed this -

https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-ak-xap1/t5.0-1/41604_195626831187_3465926_n.jpg

bhop
05-26-2015, 11:42 PM
This thread is interweb gold

RogerDat
05-27-2015, 01:29 PM
Man that was funny. Not only entertaining but a practical answer to the OP's question. Now about those human cannonballs, didn't they abandon that in favor of the suicide vest? Or is paper patching human cannonballs making a comeback?

472x1B/A
05-27-2015, 02:09 PM
I'd pay for a nosebleed seat to see this event. ^^^^

lightman
05-27-2015, 02:44 PM
Some funny stuff here!:grin: Looks like the best guess may be Mold Maker on post #19, and best advice may be Bangerjim in post #17. Casters have always been great scroungers, so it could be anything. Watch out for those flying mummies!!!

Hardcast416taylor
05-27-2015, 04:38 PM
Copper/Babbitt? \
Lead/Babbitt? / ind bearings.

I have to say that this makes the most sense thus far.Robert

GoodOlBoy
05-29-2015, 03:00 PM

Yes, yes I would. The only problem is I am laughing so hard I am crying....

This would certainly solve the problem of Hugo the Human cannon ball.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLWPxAmLdN8

GoodOlBoy

wv109323
05-29-2015, 10:16 PM
Don't make light of my recent investment. I bought consecutive serial numbers of both the CB and LB ingots. I put them in a shadow box in my casting room. If you notice these muffin ingots were cast in an extremely rare cast iron muffin pan.The angle of the taper from top to bottom is greater than a large majority of muffin pans.
It is rumored that these ingots were highly desired by General G.S. Custer. It is rumored that near the end of his career he would have sold the farm to obtain lead boolits.

Bad Water Bill
05-30-2015, 09:11 AM
More than a rumor.

A cousin of Gen G S Custer (3rd cousin 4X removed) Gen G Armchair Custerd very late in his career decided he had finally collected enough PB so he collected a world famous collection of late model Sioux arrers.

Bigslug
05-30-2015, 09:54 AM
Man that was funny. Not only entertaining but a practical answer to the OP's question. Now about those human cannonballs, didn't they abandon that in favor of the suicide vest? Or is paper patching human cannonballs making a comeback?

The thing that spelled the end of the Egyptian human cannonball was that, despite highly sophisticated wrapping efforts to cut down on meat-fouling, the technique also called for discs of fresh hippopotamus hide to use as grease cookies. As local supplies of hippo became scarce, human cannonballs fell out of favor, and technological advances in other areas eventually passed the concept by.

Incidentally, this lead to the military defeat of one of the later pharaohs who, because of a shortage of human cannons, could not deploy sufficient heavy armor to hold off his enemies. History knows him as "Two-tank Hamun"

Bad Water Bill
05-30-2015, 10:08 AM
:groner::groner::groner:

Bigslug
05-30-2015, 10:56 AM
You must also understand that the mummified remains of the pharaohs we see today are merely ceremonial representations of the actual military human cannonballs - THOSE were Hebrew slaves that were pretty much vaporized or pulped during use. After their natural deaths, the pharoahs were fired short distances with reduced charges in the direction of the capital cities of Eqypt's enemies. This was symbolic of the God-king giving his all in both life and afterlife to defend his country from invaders. The remains were then collected, re-wrapped, and placed in the tombs we are familiar with today.

Many archaeologists postulate that the broken bones seen in many mummies were the result of chariot accidents, assassination, or simply trying to fit the bodies in the caskets, but these are more likely to be post-mortem effects of the reduced-charge cannonballing.

But information from the CB/LB Casting War is harder to come by. For the ancient Egyptian royalty, human cannonballing was a religious rite. In contrast, the North-Peorians typically don't want to talk about it. . .

62chevy
05-30-2015, 01:21 PM
:groner::groner::groner:

:goodpost::awesome::2_high5:

TXGunNut
05-31-2015, 01:38 AM
Maybe, GLL. Only problem is OP's ingots are ID'd with a Sharpie. My condolences in advance for the folks who clean out my loading room, quite honestly I can't identify some stuff in there, lol,

BLTsandwedge
05-31-2015, 10:07 PM
The thing that spelled the end of the Egyptian human cannonball was that, despite highly sophisticated wrapping efforts to cut down on meat-fouling, the technique also called for discs of fresh hippopotamus hide to use as grease cookies. As local supplies of hippo became scarce, human cannonballs fell out of favor, and technological advances in other areas eventually passed the concept by.

Incidentally, this lead to the military defeat of one of the later pharaohs who, because of a shortage of human cannons, could not deploy sufficient heavy armor to hold off his enemies. History knows him as "Two-tank Hamun"

OK, skeptic here.....but I see where you are going. I may bend to your theory. Here's why:

Egyptians removed most internal organs and preserved them with natron (a salt used in desiccating) and packed them in containers ornamented with the likeness of gods who protect those specific body parts (I don't know the god that protects the BIG one... an' I really don't want to see the container, thankyaverymuch). Holding to your theory, those jars were (really!) called canopic jars.....leaning toward the possibility of 'canopic' being from/of the linguistic root of 'cannon' in the plural. Thus.....perhaps...organs were to be used as grape-shot.

However, nothing in the ubiquitous writings of the Egyptian people support this theory string. We've no chronograph data from that era- my assumption is that a gutless body may produce more velocity and thus trajectory. Could the Pyramids of Giza be ancient chronographs....as seen from outer-space?

When we tie all this to the fact that these things occurred in Memphis, we now understand how truly advanced the South really was.

I'm in love....I'm all shook up...mmm mm yeah, yeah

Bigslug
06-01-2015, 01:50 AM
. . .However, nothing in the ubiquitous writings of the Egyptian people support this theory string. . .

There are three items of explanation for the lack of physical evidence:

#1. The human cannon barrels were bored out of tree trunks.

#2. They weapons were a closely guarded state secret, and their plans were therefore not committed to clay or stone. It is likely that even the papyrus blueprints were encoded and not all on one sheet (Much like Tony Stark concealed the schematics for the MKI Iron Man suit from his captors by drawing only portions of the design on several layers of light-table sheets)

#3. Due to the organic nature of the bore and the secretive nature of the project, the cannon were transported to the front clandestinely and destroyed after the successful campaign or if there was even the slightest possibility of capture.

While it is possible that the Giza pyramids were a chronograph as you suggest (judging speed by triangulation), I think it more likely that they were spotting towers. Since you don't want the enemy to gain any more knowledge of how you are bombarding them with corpses than necessary, indirect fire is clearly the desired approach.

(Honestly guys, this isn't any more far-fetched than the usual stuff Egyptologists come up with.)

RogerDat
06-03-2015, 11:51 AM
I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect the details of early Egyptian human cannon ball (or organ jar grape shot) to be lost to the sands of time. Who really knows how the Greeks made Greek Fire? Clearly it was a major weapon system of the time yet no one has any ideas of how it was made, the ingredients or how it worked.

Of course an alternative theory exists. The Egyptians did not have cannons they had big catapults, the wrappings were to keep the human projectile in one piece during delivery (avoid projectile fragmentation) More like powder coating than paper patching really. The successful shots were reclaimed after the battle and provided with ceremonial burial monuments with splendor consummate with the effectiveness of the shot. Live human projectiles (cannon or catapult) would sometimes have weapons in hand in order to do as much damage as possible. Thus the ceremonial practice of burying mummy's with hooked sticks or other weapons in their hands to show they were Billy B Bad when they went after the enemy.

Of course I am wrestling with what this has to do with the OP on what the labels on these ingots meant but then I often lose my original train of This cool weather has been great for casting and smelting eh?

histed
06-03-2015, 09:06 PM
Bigslug - I want to personally thank you for the insightful and valuable history lesson. I teach history at our local high school and THOUGHT I understood ancient history rather well. However, sir, your thesis and supporting evidence give new meaning to "Egyptian Culture", as well as insightful new light on the military success of Egypt. I am sure my students will relish reading your scholastic essay next fall, as they so much resemble the research papers I receive during the semester.

Where's the "peed myself laughin'" icon?

lightman
06-03-2015, 11:07 PM
Maybe, GLL. Only problem is OP's ingots are ID'd with a Sharpie. My condolences in advance for the folks who clean out my loading room, quite honestly I can't identify some stuff in there, lol,

Yeah, me too Tx. I have a thread going right now about making something to hold 4 stamps for marking my ingots. I even priced some custom made 4 letter stamps. Sharpies and post-it notes just don't last.

Bad Water Bill
06-04-2015, 02:35 AM
A simple purchase here would have answered things.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?58897-CB-Custom-Ingot-Moulds

62chevy
06-04-2015, 12:35 PM
Yeah, me too Tx. I have a thread going right now about making something to hold 4 stamps for marking my ingots. I even priced some custom made 4 letter stamps. Sharpies and post-it notes just don't last.

I was thinking about that on the way to the range and what I came up with is to drill 2 holes and bolt them together with either #8 or #12 screws. That or weld them.

RogerDat
06-04-2015, 08:47 PM
I was thinking about that on the way to the range and what I came up with is to drill 2 holes and bolt them together with either #8 or #12 screws. That or weld them.

Really when you think about it a set of 36 stamps cost about $12 at harbor freight. If you don't go "WW" for stuff and just used C0 or SO you might be out the cost of a couple of sets if you welded them to a bar for ease of use. Note that was "C" Zero and "S" Oh.
PB - plain
SO - stick on
C0 - clip on
LT - lino type
FT - foundry type
P - pewter
HB - hardball
LYM 2- lyman #2

I see two letter sets and some tack welds.
Or sharpie because I'm still cheap and lazy. :-)

Garyshome
06-04-2015, 08:56 PM
It stands for Cut the Bu%%s&^t

62chevy
06-04-2015, 09:00 PM
Really when you think about it a set of 36 stamps cost about $12 at harbor freight. If you don't go "WW" for stuff and just used C0 or SO you might be out the cost of a couple of sets if you welded them to a bar for ease of use. Note that was "C" Zero and "S" Oh.
PB - plain
SO - stick on
C0 - clip on
LT - lino type
FT - foundry type
P - pewter
HB - hardball
LYM 2- lyman #2

I see two letter sets and some tack welds.
Or sharpie because I'm still cheap and lazy. :-)

2 sets would be cheap and maybe have them so you can use a press instead of a hammer.

Bigslug
06-04-2015, 11:38 PM
It stands for Cut the Bu%%s&^t

Well. . .there was the Egyptian goddess Hathor who was often represented as a cow, and in later versions of the Egyptian religion, was thought to welcome the souls of the dead to the underworld, so it's not improbable to assume that Bu%%s&^t played a part in the Egyptian human cannonballing process. Perhaps cow patties were used as a fiber wad of sorts. . .