PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Old Break Action Shotgun Receivers?

jakharath
05-22-2015, 08:42 AM
Howdy! I did some trading a while back for a big pile of reloading/shooting/gun stuff. Amongst two 6' truckloads was a large trashcan filled with old gun parts. Most had been around the block a few times.

There were some interesting things in the pile. I'm a sucker for wartime bolt actions...

But there four break action shotgun receivers/frames that I don't know what to do with. Some of these guys are OLD. Looks like it would cost quite a bit more to fix them than they would be worth.

Harrington & Richardson, Inc Gardner, Mass Made in USA U.S. Patent No 3988845 (i think) Serial No AU66xxxx - Frame & Plastic Trigger Guard, May be a Topper Model 58 made somewhere around 1980
Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works Fitchburge Mass, USA "FFHC" - Break Action Shotgun, Frame and some internals
Savage Arms Corporation Springfield Westfield Mass U.S.A Model 18C Bolt 410 Frame Only
Savage Arms Model 24 - Savage Arms Corporation Chicopee Falls Mass U.S.A. - Over/Under 22/410 - Frame Only
Stevens Model 59B 410 - Frame and Barrel only no wood or bolt
Very pitted break action shotgun - non working - can't make out the maker

So looking for ideas on what to do with the frames/receivers?

Thanks,
Jason

Artful
05-22-2015, 10:11 AM
Haunt E-bay and parts houses until you get enough parts to put one together.
See if there's any gunsmith's/FFL's in your area that are interested in 'em for parts.
I think your options are sort of limited as the Receiver will have to ship thru an ffl
and if you put on gunbroker etc most people will want a working firearm.

ascast
05-22-2015, 10:24 AM
I would un-load them as is. fleabay has gotton a lot looser about stuff that is obviously just old parts that no kid or thug can complete or care too. You will never find what you need without a concerted effort. And when found, you have a junked out wall hanger. jmho- I have many such projects around

BCRider
05-22-2015, 11:13 AM
The technique of "barrel stubbing" sure comes to mind. But that requires the old shotgun barrel as a mount for stubbing on the rifle barrel. Making a whole new mount pretty much would remove this idea from any practical consideration. And since you've got frames only I don't see this going ahead. Personally it sounds like you've got some parts to sell to others with those guns. That's about all that stuff is really good for.

Jack Stanley
05-22-2015, 12:42 PM
What BC rider said if you have an interest in making them useful once again . After finding a barrel that will fit you can make a very useful plinking rifle . There was a guy here a while back that was working with thirty caliber barrels and necking down 38 special brass .

Jack

troyboy
05-22-2015, 05:28 PM
Make great projects. Get some liners and make some low pressure centerfire rifles

Multigunner
05-22-2015, 06:08 PM
I was given an old shotgun awhile back to salvage useable parts. The receiver had split dow the middle on the under side.
I still have it, all parts but the receiver look to be serviceable, though the barrel needs reaming and polishing out, which I've done before.
With the stepped reamer I have I can back bore it to give it some choke even with a slightly over sized bore.

Don't remember the make but I'll dig it out of storage later and maybe we can get together on a project. I wouldn't mind fixing this one up, but I don't really need it.

pietro
05-22-2015, 08:38 PM

I would sell them to one of those "gun turn in" parties, the anti's occasionally throw @ a municipal PD's.

I've seen $50 per gun, and/or a sack of groceries for each gun.

GoodOlBoy
05-22-2015, 11:33 PM
Wish I wasn't broke I would try to talk you out of the old H&R parts. Oh well. Hope they find a good home.

GoodOlBoy

Goatwhiskers
05-23-2015, 12:14 PM
Stubbing might be workable for low pressure cartridges only. Keep in mind that those frames are cast iron, not steel, and will not handle high pressure. GW

Geezer in NH
05-23-2015, 03:33 PM
Sell to Gun parts corp. They are not worth good money to fix up to sell at any kind of profit. Want to make a tax write off go ahead.

Artful
05-24-2015, 12:08 AM
Sell to Gun parts corp. They are not worth good money to fix up to sell at any kind of profit. Want to make a tax write off go ahead.

And don't be surprised if you feel insulted by what they offer you.

jakharath
05-26-2015, 02:45 PM
I've heard that about them.

wgr
05-27-2015, 10:00 AM
i have two old h@r receivers that a guy made under lugs for and put muzzle loader barrels on them

John Taylor
05-28-2015, 10:30 AM
i have two old h@r receivers that a guy made under lugs for and put muzzle loader barrels on them
I made up about 2 dozen into muzzle loaders before Idaho change the law. Most were in 54 caliber and used 209 primers.
The older single shot shotguns can be made into almost any black powder cartridge.

Geezer in NH
05-29-2015, 08:20 PM
When a modern firearm they are still a modern firearm making a ML out of them does not stop that. Why do the latter ML from H&R require an FFL think about it.

FACT go ahead and get some really bad real life grief and never own a firearm again if you stay out of jail.

Bad advise from my view one who had an 07 manufacture license before. Anything GP gives you gets a receipt they were legally disposed. Play dumb game get dumb rewards folks.

ATF does not play games period.