PDA

View Full Version : cryo treated a ruger barrel

johnson1942
05-22-2015, 07:09 AM
my son called me from denver and told me he cryo treated his new ruger 22-250 (barrel). before the cryo treatment he was getting 1 inch groups at 100 yards and after with the same loads he was getting 1 hole ragged. he said way out their it was still shooting very very tight. iv always liked cryoing barrels and he has a friend who is a gunsmith and he also said he should do it and the results were very good.

Hickory
05-22-2015, 07:38 AM
It is said that the grain structure of metal is like a pile of bricks, and when it is heated it tends to shift in adverse directions.
Where the cryo treatment helps to align the molecules in the same fashion as a brick wall, with all the "bricks" in a neat order stretching and flexing in the same direction.

country gent
05-22-2015, 10:28 AM
SOme barrel makers cryo thier barrels and bar stock. It is a way to relieve stress from the materal. On my match rifles I had the barrel fitted chambered any changes to countour done they were then removed and sent to 300 below and cryo treated. Its not overly expensive back then I think it averaged around $9.00 a pound.I makes the steels grain structure much more consistant thru out the blank. I had one of the old win model 70 coarse rifles that would walk shots during a string, did it for years after cruo it was dead on thru a string heat didnt make it walk.

Minerat
05-22-2015, 10:43 AM
A gunsmith instructor I know did that too my Ruger 22-250 about 10 years ago had a trigger job done so it lets off at 2.5 lba, kevlar bedded the action and use molly coated bullets. It went from 1" at a hundred yards to shooting one raged hole (best .34"). It will red vapor pasture poodles at 500 yds with if I can see them. It is still shooting lights out and is capable of more the I can do. Had my WBY 300 done too and it will shoot sub MOA if I do my part.

CHeatermk3
05-22-2015, 01:43 PM
Ruger barrels are hammer-forged thus have boo-koo stress which is (in my opinion) why they respond so well to the cryo treatment.