PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a Lyman Mag 25 Digital Furnace today

kalison
05-21-2015, 05:40 PM
I just found a Lyman Mag 25 Digital in my local gun shop today. I immediately bought it (only because I told myself I would get a bigger bottom pour when I got ladling down). I got it home and unboxed it, only to find the base was all jacked up and the mold shelf was bowed. :( first time I got spend some real money on a Furnace its a flop. It appears to be really well made otherwise.

I have called Lyman. They said I should return it to the retailer and have them send it back and order a new one... or return it for a refund and then call them back and order direct from the factory. I asked what their turn around times are or shipping times are on these models... she said "When we have some to ship, we ship" So that means weeks or months. She said it had to be shipping that caused the damage, because the techs that are working on these Mag25s are wearing white gloves and handling them very carefully before packing.

The third option was to front 50-60 dollars of shipping, ship it directly to them (wait time is the same as in when they can send one back).. she said she could probably work something out where I would get reimbursed for fronting the shipping to them since its a brand new product and this should never have happened.

I have debated on removing the base myself and coaxing the metal back into place (gently)... but,... whatever I guess.

Epd230
05-21-2015, 08:05 PM
Just my thoughts, but a new product should not require you to fix it.

I know is sucks, you are excited about your new tool, but I would send it back and get one that is undamaged.

kalison
05-21-2015, 08:23 PM
Just my thoughts, but a new product should not require you to fix it.

I know is sucks, you are excited about your new tool, but I would send it back and get one that is undamaged.

Yeah, ultimately, there is only one choice. I am just going to send it back to Lyman direct, and they can ship me one as soon as its ready.

I've been just fine with my own PID and the Lee Pro 20... so another month or two wont hurt anything.

kalison
05-24-2015, 12:44 AM
Ended up taking it back to the shop I bought it from. They are always friendly and willing to make things right.

I decided I was going to just get a refund and wait... but, ended up getting a good deal on a new RCBS Pro Melt instead (like I said, very understanding folk... and I didn't even push the issue), plus RCBS has that rebate going right now.

Wasn't my first choice going with the RCBS.

As I thought about it, I have a PID that I could move over to the RCBS and the RCBS has a generous universal mould guide. (another strike against waiting for the Lyman was the mould guide that did not fit my NOE mould blocks). So I got it home and unpacked a pristine RCBS ProMelt. Ran about 10 pounds through the RCBS and was pleasantly surprised that there was zero dripping and the spout can really pour fast (two things that really bothered me about the ole LEE 4-20 Pro)! The PID took a while to learn the new heating element, but it has gotten the hang of keeping it where I want it. I did the spring trick on the pour limiter, not because of dripping but, because it feels better to have a little resistance when pouring (in my opinion anyway).

Very pleased with the RCBS so far and I do not regret spending the money to get it.

VHoward
05-24-2015, 01:38 AM
Yes, I bought a RCBS Promelt a few years ago when they were around $200. I thought it was a lot of money then, but compared to my Lee pot, it was worth every penny.

rbt50
05-24-2015, 02:16 PM
I tried to use the rebate on mine and it said not good for the rcbs pro melt. let me know how you make out.

kalison
05-25-2015, 01:02 AM
I tried to use the rebate on mine and it said not good for the rcbs pro melt. let me know how you make out.

I used the "pre qualify rebate online" link. Put in the UPC for the Pro Melt and it created the rebate form for me, so I hope it works.

Djones
05-27-2015, 06:29 AM
I like the way your story ended!

Your new US made RCBS pot is very well made. Coupled with a PID it outshines the Lyman. You can upgrade your mold guide here too.

http://www.my2ndright.com

it is a nifty setup for heavy molds

kalison
05-27-2015, 03:00 PM
I like the way your story ended!

Your new US made RCBS pot is very well made. Coupled with a PID it outshines the Lyman. You can upgrade your mold guide here too.

http://www.my2ndright.com

it is a nifty setup for heavy molds

thanks!

i actually ordered the shelf from them on the first night of owning the Pro Melt! Can't wait to get it!

dikman
05-27-2015, 10:28 PM
Kalison, I made my own shelf and I reckon a good shelf just makes it all so much easier (did one for the Lee as well). That kit is good value and in my opinion worth every cent!