PDA

View Full Version : Astra And Stars No More

bouncer50
05-21-2015, 03:34 PM
I am really sad to see they are out of business. They made some good guns for a good value. I have a couple of Astra 400 and one 600 really well made. And three Stars two in 9mm Largo one in 9mm Luger. I bought all of them at a good price and i am very happy with them.:grin:

376Steyr
05-21-2015, 03:43 PM
You also can't get a new Llama. I believe the adoption of the Euro did in a bunch of the old Spanish firearms firms.

fishhawk
05-21-2015, 03:59 PM
Have a ultrastar in 9x19 for a polymer frame as solid as it is you wouldn't know it by the feel.

RG1911
05-21-2015, 04:13 PM
Great. The prices probably just doubled.

I picked up a used Star 30M a few years back that is accurate beyond my fondest dreams. Thank goodness I was able to pick up a couple spare mags for about $40 each. Only one I've seen recently was $85.

Richard

gwpercle
05-21-2015, 04:26 PM
My favorite 45 was stolen years ago, a Star Model PS, looked just like a 1911 without a grip safety, external extractor and pivoting trigger, even won a 45 acp bullseye match with it.
Still miss it and would still like to have it back...that thing was more accurate than a friends Colt Gold Cup and he spent some big bucks for it!
Star....gone but not forgotten !
Gary

mattw
05-21-2015, 05:27 PM
I agree, hated to see them go. I have a megastar in 10mm and I had a firestar in 40 until it was stolen. I also have an astra 400 in 40, very well built gun! I would love to replace the firestar, still have about 10 mags for it. :)

dubber123
05-21-2015, 05:40 PM
I have a Star BM 9mm. Paid $160 in the box for it, it is a great gun. There are millions out there, spare parts is the bugger. Good thing they don't break often.

bhn22
05-21-2015, 06:55 PM
Star closed about 7-8 years ago. I wouldn't worry much about their prices taking a sudden jump.

NuJudge
05-21-2015, 07:45 PM
I have a Star Model 28. It's all steel and built like a tank. The controls on it are a little strange, but it shoots quite well and is very controllable. I laid in a lot of parts when I heard Star closed.

Guesser
05-21-2015, 09:58 PM
They just don't show up much any more. This is a NIB Comanche 22 LR; probably 35 years old.

Artful
05-22-2015, 12:44 AM
Star closed about 7-8 years ago. I wouldn't worry much about their prices taking a sudden jump.

Star (Bonifacio Echevarria S.A.) had gone under in 1993, its assets sold to rival Astra (Esperanza y Unceta, later Societa Unceta y Cia, then Astra-Unceta y Cia, finally Astar S.A.), which in turn collapsed completely in 1997.

LLAMA
The main problem with the new group was sales were not rising fast enough to cover the old debt they inherited from Llama. Fabrinor was able to reschedule the debts in 2002 and again in 2003, but even public listing on the stock market didn't help generate the funds required.
Thanks to regulatory intervention, Fabrinor was compelled to call a special shareholder meeting on January 12, 2005, to reveal fully to shareholders the company's financial situation, its plans to restructure into a limited partnership, and the latest plans to reschedule its inherited debts. The plans were rejected and the plant in Legutiano was closed.

hornady308
05-22-2015, 06:06 PM
I have a .380 A-60. It was a police trade-in. Holds 13 rounds, extremely reliable, all steel, adj sights. I wouldn't hesitate to carry it.

Bigslug
05-23-2015, 03:18 PM
I worked in the local gun sales chain from 1992 to 2003, and in that time, we sold approximately 4.7 metric buttloads of Interarms-imported Firestars in various calibers. I seem to recall them going for around $200 at the time, which was a steal for an all-steel, ramped-barrel autoloader with inverted, CZ-75 style slide rails. My only grievance with them was the magazine disconnect, but the guns shot GREAT. Not much recoil and a narrow grip for those that require one. Hard not to like 'em.

Petrol & Powder
05-24-2015, 03:27 PM
Star has been gone for awhile now. They made some decent guns that were generally good values. I had the Firestar in .45 ACP. It was a solid pistol and shot OK but I never liked the safety (wouldn't stay engaged) and sold it to fund something else. An acquaintance had a Star Model B that I couldn't get out of his hands even when waving cash in his face. I don't know if his was an exception but it was accurate and never failed to function.
Stars were always sort of looked down on in the used gun market and as a result, you would often see them for sale with lower prices than comparable guns. I hated to see them go because they offered a less expensive alternative and the guns were generally well made.

Jtarm
05-26-2015, 04:34 PM
Bummer. Guess I'll have to grab one if those B or BMs.

rintinglen
05-30-2015, 12:46 AM
I have three Spanish guns, a Star Modelo Super in 9 mm largo, a Firestar with 40 and 9mm uppers, and a Llama 45 mini-max. All are decent, solid guns that will easily serve to protect ones life and limbs without busting the bank. The modelo Super is a particular favorite. It fits my hand better than a 1911 does. But any of them would do were interpersonal violence become a necessity.

bouncer50
05-31-2015, 10:33 AM
I forgot i also have a Astra model A-80 in 9mm a copy of the Sig for a lot less money. It build like a tank and has a 15 round mag. I was lucky a few years back i found a couple spare mags for a decent prices. A lot of people think there cheap guns and put their nose up at them. But they were a great gun at a good value. If people would just look at the workmenship and shoot one they would have a different opinion about the Star and Astra. Maybe gone but not forgotten.

Der Gebirgsjager
05-31-2015, 12:15 PM
140955140954140953Here's some of mine. L. to R.--two Star Mod. B 9x19mm pistols, an Astra Mod. 400 9mm Largo, a late model Llama Max-I .45 ACP. It was sad to see the passing of these great manufacturers. I've collected them for years and have many more than those shown here. It's kind of hard to say exactly why they left us, probably a combination of circumstances. These three always turned out a good quality product, but during the Great Depression there were many Spanish gunmakers who did not and who gave all of them a poor reputation. Later on, there were so many good makers in other countries that the completion for their market share was pretty stiff. I've always been a 1911 fan, but in later years have found the Star B to suit my needs perfectly. The B's and Super B's that are currently on the surplus market may be among the last great handgun bargains. A's and Super A's are also great pistols, but the 9mm Largo cartridge is kind of limited in availability and bullet selection. CCI Blazer made a nice JHP for a couple of years, but I think they dropped it. You can handload it if you can find some reloadable brass.