PDA

View Full Version : Swaging bore riders?

45r
05-21-2015, 02:10 PM
Is it possible to swage down the bore rider on boolits being used for 300BLK with powder coating.
Are any size dies available for reducing bore rider diameter?
If this isn't the right section for this topic please advise where to ask.
Being able to alter bore rider would help a lot for powder coating.

dilly
05-21-2015, 02:23 PM
There is a technique for nose sizing. I don't know much about it, but I know they will tell you all about it in the coatings and alternative section.

runfiverun
05-21-2015, 07:04 PM
you can size the nose of a boolit down.
it's done just like sizing a boolit only you size the nose and not the body.
if you have a lyman or whatever sizer, just get the H&I sizer made in the diameter you need and turn the boolit over.

Forrest r
05-21-2015, 07:58 PM
Absolutely!!!!

Throating reamers do an excellent job of making a swaging die to form bullets to whatever diameter/shape/nose/body you want. Powder coated bullets are excellent for this!!!! They are soft from the pc heat/treatment and swage easily into whatever you want. The pc'd bullets can be heat treated if needed, I've only ran them in the 1700+fps range plain (pc'd treatment only). They gave the traditional lubed/sized/gc'd bullets all they could handle.

The +'s of making a swaging die from a throating reamer and pc'ing the bullets:
Any cast/lead/swaged bullet will be an exact fit for your bbl.
PC'ing will bump any bore riding nose up to the diameter needed or give you a longer bore riding nose (greater bearing surface) on bullets that already have a correct diameter for their bore riding nose.