PDA

View Full Version : Throating a new '03 Springfield barrel

gnoahhh
05-21-2015, 11:03 AM
My new Criterion barrel arrived yesterday, and will be installed ASAP. Is there a particular reamer/throater I should use for optimal cast bullet shooting? I have worked with a bunch of original '03s over the years with generally good results, but I see this as an opportunity to adjust the throat of a fresh barrel in a way that is better than the original ball seat used by the Arsenal- if such a thing is advised. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

Edit to add: Is there a trick for modifying the color of Parkerizing? This new barrel is parked a pretty nice soft light gray, but I would prefer it darker to match the rest of the rifle.

Der Gebirgsjager
05-21-2015, 11:31 AM
I'd first try it as-is, because you can't put metal back once removed. If you have a hot bluing tank available, caustic salts, a short while in the tank will make it almost black. You could also try Oxpho Blue experimentally on a small place on the under side of the barrel.

Frank46
05-22-2015, 12:20 AM
Try rubbing the surface of the barrel with cosmoline or a heavy dark grease. Maybe the grease will help darken the light grey finish. I bought a NOS new old stock 03A3 bbl and it was still in the wrap and prior to wrapping it had been heavily coated with cosmoline. The grease or preservative everyone loves to hate. Was a very dark green in color. Hope this helps. Frank