PDA

View Full Version : Old sealed cans of BLC (NOT #2) with pink labels

Blackwater
05-20-2015, 05:48 PM
A buddy just called and bought 3 cans of BLC (NOT BLC-2) in metal cans with no pour spout - said he'd have to cut the cans open to get the powder out. They have a pink label on them. Can anyone tell me exactly what he has? I do remember way back when, before BLC-2, that a previous powder called BLC was sold and loaded, and apparently thought pretty well of, but that was really before my time. If anyone has info or hints, even if not entirely certain, I'd really appreciate your info or memories, especially with regard to its general burning rate compared to BLC-2 or any other powder. He wants to use it, or at least 2 lbs. of it. He may keep the 3rd for "collectors."

Any info anyone can provide would be appreciated, so thanks in advance.

9w1911
05-20-2015, 06:04 PM
I think BLC and BLC2 are the same accept the 2 in BLC2 is for a re manufactured lot of BLC made by Hodgdon after he sold the first lot of BLC.

Blackwater
05-20-2015, 09:07 PM
Thanks. It's been an awful long time, and I was pretty young back then, but I kinda' sorta' THINK I remember your being right. My CRS disease (can't remember stuff) keeps me unsure of a lot of things.

Newboy
05-20-2015, 09:44 PM
I load .223 with ball c. It is loaded about the same as ball c 2, the difference, in my opinion, is it is more uniform because it has less broken kernels.

Blackwater
05-21-2015, 11:22 AM
Thanks, Newboy. Where'd you get yours? It hasnt' been mfg'd in a long, long time, has it?

Bob Busetti
05-21-2015, 01:38 PM
I once had 2 cans like that got them in the early seventies. They were marked Ball F. A silver looking powder. Hodgdon said to use ball c2 loads, worked fine. Said it was surplus powder used to load 7.9x 57 ammo. However it may not be what you have. Just saying.

Newboy
05-21-2015, 06:46 PM
The ball c powder was real big with the bench rest .222 boys way back. When it became short, my dad and some friends bought a big lot. I still shoot it, but down to my last pound (40 years later).

308gunman
05-23-2015, 11:01 PM
I'm the guy with the BLC. Thanks for all the good info. I may break one open a little later and see what I got.

tomon
06-30-2015, 07:43 AM
I just opened one can I got from an older shooter at my club years ago. The price in grease pencil on it was $3.90. The Pink and White label has BLC in large letters, and Lot #2 in smaller print below it. There is no Zip Code in the address, so it was pre-1970. Plenty of load data around for it still! I put 26 grains of it under 173gr GC Boolits to shoot the new brass into the chambers on my 2 30-30 bolt guns. This load came from Lee's Second Edition. Shows some promise, but need to shoot the other 50 cases in this week, and then start some load development for Cast Bullet Benchrest.

MT Gianni
07-02-2015, 12:08 PM
I just opened one can I got from an older shooter at my club years ago. The price in grease pencil on it was $3.90. The Pink and White label has BLC in large letters, and Lot #2 in smaller print below it. There is no Zip Code in the address, so it was pre-1970. Plenty of load data around for it still! I put 26 grains of it under 173gr GC Boolits to shoot the new brass into the chambers on my 2 30-30 bolt guns. This load came from Lee's Second Edition. Shows some promise, but need to shoot the other 50 cases in this week, and then start some load development for Cast Bullet Benchrest.

Zip codes went into effect July 1, 1963.