PDA

View Full Version : Itty Bitty Press Gets a Mite Bigger.

Char-Gar
05-20-2015, 12:16 PM
I am having fun with my new old Lyman Tru-Line Jr. but found there was enough vibration in the small press to rattle the set screw loose. It would have been easy enough to use two set screws or a little Loctite on the original, but that would be too easy.

I thought I would make a new handle for the Tru-Line Jr. The original was a mite flimsy for my taste and longer would give more leverage. While I was at it, I turned a little groove for the pesky set screw to hang out in. Having some steel stock and a lathe I went at it. I need to polish it up a bit and will get to that sooner or later, or maybe not. It was about a 15 minute job.

At any rate, this does make the itty bitty press easier to use. But, if you add enough iron, it won't be itty bitty any longer.

44Vaquero
05-20-2015, 02:45 PM
If anything is worth doing it's worth over doing! Mission Accomplished!!

Put a 45 degree bend in it too! You will be happy you did!

Char-Gar
05-20-2015, 03:35 PM
I have no idea how to bend 5/8" tool steel. Even if I knew how, I don't have the equipment.

44Vaquero
05-20-2015, 04:24 PM
Char-Gar,

you have to think outside the box! I stopped at local steel fabrication shop during lunch time and had some "government" work performed for the cost of a Pizza. Be surprised how many people are still willing to lend a hand.

DonMountain
05-20-2015, 04:40 PM
I have no idea how to bend 5/8" tool steel. Even if I knew how, I don't have the equipment.

A little heat from a torch and it will bend easy.

Catshooter
05-21-2015, 01:53 AM
Looks good, but remember that the increased leverage also can mean increased force on the press and it's linkage.

I did the same thing to my Rockchucker with a length of 3/4 rod. I had to put an offset in it to clear the PiggyBack when it's installed. The oxy/acetylene torch made bending it a snap.

Cat