PDA

View Full Version : Schedule 80 Wet Drum Question

tred1956
05-20-2015, 11:28 AM
In the process of building a wet tumbler. Have two 6"PVC schedule 40 drums and am using yellow Cherne mechanical plugs on open end. They are working GREAT. My problem is when I ordered an 8" Cherne plug I didn't think about my 8" PVC being schedule 80. Evidently the Cherne plug I bought is for schedule 40 PVC. Too big for the schedule 80. When I go to Cherne web site there is no mention of a plug that fits schedule 80 PVC. Does anyone know of a mechanical plug such as the Cherne that will fit schedule 80 PVC? Also if anyone is in need of this Cherne 8" mechanical plug for schedule 40 send me a PM, I will let it go for what I have in it.

Thanks for any and all input
Doug

rodsvet
05-20-2015, 10:28 PM
The drum for the Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler is now for sale at Midway For $70 with the caps. It is about 8 inches in diameter and strongly built. It will hold 750 plus 223 or maybe 1,000 9MM at one time. If I build one that is the drum I will use. Check it out, it may save you a lot of hassle. Rod

jmorris
05-21-2015, 12:17 AM
I am no PVC guru but I think the ID changes not the OD.

Wayne Smith
05-21-2015, 11:03 AM
I am no PVC guru but I think the ID changes not the OD.

I would assume (I know, Danger, Danger, Will Robinson) that a "mechanical plug" pretty much has to be an expansion plug and fit the ID??

fast ronnie
05-21-2015, 11:15 AM
I don't know how your plug is designed, but it may be possible to chuck the plug in a lathe and turn it down to fit your schedule 80. Another option would be to turn the inside of your schedule 80 to the inside dimension of schedule 40 just deep enough to fit the plug.

tred1956
05-21-2015, 11:24 AM
You are all correct the ID is too small. Just left them in the capable hands of a Local Friend I just met of ShootersForum. He has a lathe and is going to open the ends to fit the plugs. Met him at the Belton Gun Club only about 30 minutes from my house. They are a few forums, CB being one of them that I do consider most members friends I just haven't had the pleasure of meeting yet. Always willing to help. I try to ask a lot of questions, even if you don't get the perfect answer sometimes it makes you think enough to figure it out. You can see pictures of what I have HERE:

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3874213.0

Thanks for all the input,
Safe shooting
Doug