PDA

View Full Version : New to smelting WW, mixing alloys and casting bullets: Thanks for the help.

nitro-express
05-20-2015, 09:10 AM
One of the challenges has been to understand the processes, and when the results are poor, to determine at which process the problem originated.

My old LEE bottom pour would plug the spout, and bullets were a bit dodgy, not too bad, but it was a pain to drain the pot and clean the nozzle.

So, I went back to the alloy mix, and went back to basics, 9 lb. of WW to 1 lb. of 50/50. I had a bunch of babbitt given to me, and I blended it lead to make my own 50/50. I had 2 different ingots of babbitt, one batch yielded an alloy with a distinct golden hue to it.

I read a bunch of threads and got out the plumbers pot and filled it with 9/1. I heated it to the 750/800 region and started the flux and skim process. The first skim was ash and dirt, then a golden metallic substance surfaced, this time, instead of fluxing it back in, I skimmed that off also. Then came the purple skim, off it came too.

What was left worked a bunch better, the spout remained clear, and the pour was consistent. After casting a batch, there was only a small amount of hardened crud in the spout.

I don't think any of my metal is pure, or even close to pure, but it have to do. Perhaps, I'll buy alloy when it's used up, but that won't be for awhile.

Most of my casting equipment is old, from my shooting buddies estate, and I will replace it as it's functionality becomes an issue.

First will be "Mr Drippy", I've lapped the rod and drilled out the spout to clean it to the point it's pour characteristics have been altered to an extent that; "Mr Drippy, ***", has become its new name.

I'll keep my eyes open for something used and not LEE, or a new LEE. Buying a LEE used, not for me, don't need someone else's problems added to the ones the LEE builds in.

For the time being, I'll stick to GC bullets until I've mastered more of the basics.

I sized some 150 gr 30 cal GC bullets to 308, the only die I have and they shot OK in my clapped out Model 1917 Enfield. In Canada these are commonly referred to as a P17. Mine is a Winchester with what I believe to be an Eddystone bolt, arsenal fitted, that is now at near field headspace, poorly bedded in a nice vintage Bishop stock. To my way of thinking, it is best fed a dose of low pressure cast bullets.

I've come across the formula "Optimum BHN = CUPS / (1422 x .90)", but I believe that it applies to plain base bullets. I haven't experienced any major leading after firing 7 tester rounds, I'll probably stick with my 9/1 alloy.

My starting load is with H4198 @ 27 gr. I may bump that up a bit, as my sights are at the top and it still shoots low. I may also try a F215 primer to compensate for all the dead air in the case. I also have some TB, and SR 4759 that I may try. Next may be putting handles on my 311041 Lyman and see what comes out.

I've ordered a .310 H&I and a #8 top punch as incentive. So far my mold is my second LEE 309-150, the first sacrificed it's life to a failed experiment, converting it to a non GC design. I salvaged the handles, they're not really made with dis-assembly in mind, LOL.

TTFN, and thanks for the great forum with scads of info.

Echo
05-20-2015, 11:19 AM
I just cast several hundred Lee 309-150's - good lookin' boolit, now all GC'd & loobed. Ran through a .310 sizing die that hardly touched any boolit, just loobed, and am looking forward to loading some (today, actually) in some 300 WinMag cases, and some more in -06 cases. My alloy is WW/Mono, 7/1, w/additional 1% Sn. Near Mag Metal, with a little more Sn and not quite so much Sb.
Now. When you skimmed off the gold, you skimmed off tin oxide that should have been fluxed back into the melt. When you skimmed off the purple, you skimmed off lead oxide, not so much of a loss compared to the loss of expensive tin, and of not much drama. The -06's will be shot in my 1917 that is a tack-driver - will see what 16 grs of 2400 does...