PDA

View Full Version : compression die

Hank45
05-20-2015, 07:03 AM
How do I adjust the body of the die with the cartridge in the press? Thanks for your answer, Hank

country gent
05-20-2015, 08:27 AM
Depends on the dies deshighn some what. I dont normally worry about setting the body to hit touch the shell holder. My compression die is a expander die body with a compression stem made for it. I then set the compression stem to compress the charge and a wad to required depth for bullet being loaded. I do both 45-70 and 45-90 with the same die die body is 45-70 expander with a new stem turned up similar to the original slightly longer and flat nosed with a slight radious on the corner to aid it slipping into case. Compression stems can also be purchased at buffalo arms company for most current dies. Yo can also use your bullet seting die. MAke a dummy bullet from cold rolled steel or brass around .450 in dia with radioused nose and flat square base close to same length of your bullet. charge case with powder seat wad and add your "bullet" set seater stem to compress to needed depth. Do not crimp case mouth.

montana_charlie
05-20-2015, 01:46 PM
How do I adjust the body of the die with the cartridge in the press? Thanks for your answer, Hank
Tell us which compression die you are using, and the caliber of your cartridge.

Adjustment for a Lee die is quite different than adjusting a Lyman die.

rfd
05-21-2015, 08:21 AM
i use a baco compression plug in a lyman expander die. both the die and plug are adjustable for height/depth. for .45-70 and .40-65, i screw the die in all the way and adjust the plug for the amount of compression desired. the real issue is how to create a completed cartridge (no matter what type) that has a specific oal, bp volume, bp compression, and accomplished with a specific bullet. there are more than a few ways to achieve all of this, but it will take some testing on the loader's part. with .45-70, for example, i use a .452 undersized bullet slipped in the loaded case to check for oal both before and after adding a wad(s), to aid in determining compression and hitting the desired oal.

montana_charlie
05-21-2015, 12:36 PM
I drilled and tapped the primer pocket of a 45/90 case for 1/4 - 20.
Made a slug with a flat top which screws up and down within the case.
When I want a seating depth of (say) .620", I set the slug for that distance below the case mouth ... run the 'gauge' into the compression die ... and screw the compression plug down to firm contact.

CM

rfd
05-21-2015, 01:05 PM
how 'bout that, cm - i did the same thing! but instead i just used a hornady l'n'l case. :)