PDA

View Full Version : New Lee powder measures.

wallenba
05-19-2015, 10:40 PM
Visited the Titan website today. I noticed two new powder measures. This one http://www.titanreloading.com/powder-handling-equipment/lee-autodrum-powder-measure And this one http://www.titanreloading.com/powder-handling-equipment/lee-classic-powder-measure

Second one is pricey for Lee stuff, and no price available for the first one. Anybody hear anything about $$$$ ?

Might just be a better mouse trap, but,... my old auto-disks run like clocks now that they are well seasoned.

country gent
05-19-2015, 11:26 PM
Cast Iron and brass construction should mean it runs for a lifetime or more. The bronze rotor / drum in a cast Iron housing should run pretty smooth. Extra drums that can be left set and changed easily another nice option to have. Clicks are roughly .1 grains according to web page but with what powder? Looks good and solid uses a standard 7/8 X 14 threaded stem for mounting so will mount in regular stands or press. Wonder if the end is drilled and tapped for a case locator or drop tube or the locater angle just machined into cast iron? Will have to keep an eye out for one on display to look over and lay hands onin person.

DougGuy
05-19-2015, 11:34 PM
The classic sounds like a re invented 55, which might not be a bad thing. The other one is still saddled with plastic parts, the downfall of their best efforts. A plastic hopper is fine but any of the moving/sliding/turning parts means STATIC from hades and then some.

jmort
05-19-2015, 11:37 PM
I have had the Classic Powder measure and the stand for a while now and I am completely impressed. I am eagerly awaiting the quick change drums which should function like the Little Dandy measure.

Quick Change Drums (available mid-2015)

One of the nicest features is the ability to use the new Lee standard quick-change drums (product # 90453). These low cost drums can be preset to your favorite charge and swapped out in seconds.

EKE
05-20-2015, 12:12 AM
I have had the Classic Powder measure and the stand for a while now and I am completely impressed. I am eagerly awaiting the quick change drums which should function like the Little Dandy measure.

One of the nicest features is the ability to use the new Lee standard quick-change drums (product # 90453). These low cost drums can be preset to your favorite charge and swapped out in seconds.

Agree, I like it much better than the older powder measure and far above the disc measures. It will thread right into a turret as well. I removed the powder through expander die and put this in it's place.

The brass construction is nice. I took a small patch of never dull and shined it a little when I first put it together. Everything is very smooth. I do wish they would hurry up with the quick change drums though.

gloob
05-20-2015, 01:36 AM
The classic sounds like a re invented 55
It looks a heck of a lot more like a Lee Perfect Powder Measure made out of metal. Other than the way it attaches to the stand and the removable inserts, it looks almost exactly like a PPM. I HOPE it is the same on the inside. They way the PPM drum/rotor things connect at a 45 degree angle and tightened with a screw means it will last forever and just get smoother and fit tighter over the years. It's a self-lapping set-up that can't wear loose, can't wear out.

I do wish they would hurry up with the quick change drums though.
I'm gonna take a wild guess that the metering tube is 0.500" in diameter, like the PPM's. It looks like theres a little clip for how they are supposed to attach.

You might find it a simple matter to make some inserts with a bolt and a dowel. My modified PPM holds the inserts in with a little neodymium magnet epoxied to the metering tube. "My Lee PPM" sticky on this forum. Been using it for many years. Nice to see Lee is catching up, finally. :)

MaryB
05-20-2015, 02:44 AM
How well does the perfect powder measure work on the LoadMaster press? Will be ordering a loadmaster next week and wanted to get a better powder measure(I also hate the auto disc setup... leaks fine powder all over the place)

daboone
05-20-2015, 11:04 AM
Lee Classic Powder Measure

Before starting this evaluation of the Lee Classic Powder Measure (CPM) I took this new PM totally apart and thoroughly washed, dried (including the hopper) and pre-lubed it with graphite. The Hopper was rubbed down with a dryer sheet. Then a full hopper full of Bullseye thru it before evaluating. There's no question that this Classic Powder Measure (CPM) is stouter. There is at the very top and very bottom of the stroke a little bit of looseness. This allows you, if you want, to rap the crank handle/metering drum into the housing. (kinda like the knocker idea). This isn't documented as a technique however it is possible. I did try it but thus far found it unnecessary. There is on this remake of the PPM a knob to adjust the tension of the chamber rather than a screw. It could be nice to easily adjust this tension for different types of powder however I didn't find it necessary for the evaluations of the listed powders.

Unfortunately I have run out of IMR4350 and don't have any fine ball powders like H110/296 so I can't tell how it will dispense at those extremes. I expect powders like IMR 4350 will still be inconsistent.

First up was Bullseye. Admittedly Bullseye is an excellent metering powder. There was no tapping or snapping the measure or handle just a full and complete stroke from top to bottom giving it a couple of seconds on the fill side. The first 10 drops of Bullseye set at 4.1gr were all separated by a mere .01gr. Second powder tested was HS-6. The results were the same as Bullseye with a .1gr difference in only 2 out of the 10 drops. I did no further testing of Bullseye or HS-6.

The following results are grouped by the specific powder for 10 individual weights and then by a 10 consecutive dispensing to check the average dispensing weight. The micrometer setting were based on Lee's VMD, well as close as eyes can adjust the lines to line up. :-}

Unique Data:
Measure adjusted for 3.5gr of Unique with approximately 2 second fill time. Individual weights as listed for each dispensing.
1- 3.5gr
2- 3.6gr
3- 3.6gr
4- 3.6gr
5- 3.6gr
6- 3.5gr
7- 3.6gr
8- 3.6gr
9- 3.6gr
10-3.5gr

Then 10 drops of 3.5gr of Unique were performed with approximately 2 second fill times and measure in bulk for a total of 36.8gr or 3.68gr average.

Measure set for 10gr of Unique. Individual weights as listed for each dispensing.
1- 10gr
2- 10.1gr
3- 10gr
4- 10.1gr
5- 10.1gr
6- 10.1gr
7- 10.1gr
8- 10gr
9- 10gr
10- 10gr

Then 10 drops of the 10gr of Unique were performed with approximately 2 second fill times and measure in bulk for a total of 100.5gr or 10.05 average.

2400 Data:
Measure adjusted for 6.1gr of 2400 with approximately 2 second fill time. Individual weights as listed for each dispensing.
1- 6.1gr
2- 6.1gr
3- 6.2gr
4- 6.1gr
5- 6.1gr
6- 6.2gr
7- 6.1gr
8- 6.1gr
9- 6.1gr
10-6.2gr

Then 10 drops of the 6.1gr of 2400 were performed with approximately 2 second fill times and measure in bulk for a total of 62.2gr for a 6.22gr average.

Measure adjusted for 13gr of 2400 with approximately 2 second fill time. Individual weights as listed for each dispensing.
1- 13gr
2- 12.9gr
3- 12.9gr
4- 12.9gr
5- 12.8gr
6- 12.8gr
7- 12.8gr
8- 12.9gr
9- 12.9gr
10- 12.8gr

Then 10 drops of the 13gr of 2400 were performed with approximately 2 second fill times and measure in bulk for a total of 129.6gr for a 12.96gr average.

H4895 Data:
Measure adjusted for 44.8gr of H4895 with approximately 2 second fill time. Individual weights as listed for each dispensing.
1- 44.8gr
2- 44.8gr
3- 44.9gr
4- 44.9gr
5- 45.0gr
6- 44.8gr
7- 45.1gr
8- 45.2gr
9- 45.1gr
10- 44.9gr

Then 10 drops of the 44.8gr of H4895 were performed with approximately 2 second fill times and measure in bulk for a total of 451.3gr or a 45.13gr average.

Trail Boss Data:
Measure adjusted for 14.6gr with approximately 2 second fill time. Individual weights as listed for each dispensing.
1- 14.6gr
2- 14.4gr
3- 14.6gr
4- 14.6gr
5- 14.5gr
6- 14.4gr
7- 14.6gr
8- 14.8gr
9- 14.6gr
10- 14.5gr

Then 5 drops of the Trail Boss 14.6gr were performed with approximately 2 second fill times and measure in bulk for a total of 73.3gr or a 14.66grgr average.

Measure adjusted for 4.5gr with approximately 2 second fill time. Individual weights as listed for each dispensing.
1- 4.5gr
2- 4.4gr
3- 4.3gr
4- 4.4gr
5- 4.4gr
6- 4.4gr
7- 4.4gr
8- 4.2gr
9- 4.3gr
10- 4.4gr

I for one never had a problem with the old PPM, but there no question that this Classic Powder Measure (CPM) is stouter. There is at the very top and very bottom of the stroke a little bit of play. This allows you, if you want, to rap the crank handle/ drum into the housing. (kinda like the knocker idea) This isn't documented as a technique however it is possible. I did try it but thus far found it unnecessary. There is on this remake of the PPM a knob to adjust the tension of the chamber. It is nice to adjust this tension for different types of powder.

Certainly the values listed above speak for themselves as to the performance with various powders. This is the new CPM's best virtue, it is as consistent with flake powder as it is with stick tested.

jmort
05-20-2015, 11:15 AM
Thanks daboone for the thorough test results. I am not so exacting, and have found that it just flat out works real good.

bedbugbilly
05-20-2015, 07:08 PM
Thanks daboone - great report and very helpful. I have been using a Lee Perfect PM and it works well for what I'm doing. Like anything else though, I like trying new things. I was considering trying to pick up a good used Lyman 55 - now I'm not so sure. Maybe I need to take a good look at this new Lee CPM. Good information in all of the posts and very helpful - thanks all!

orbitalair
05-20-2015, 09:59 PM
How well does the perfect powder measure work on the LoadMaster press? Will be ordering a loadmaster next week and wanted to get a better powder measure(I also hate the auto disc setup... leaks fine powder all over the place)

Well if the disk one leaks for you , the PPM will leak for you too.

The PPM frustrated me for about 3 weeks before I ran over the secret. Lap the 2 cones together with a polishing compound to find and flatten the hi spots. Either valve lap compound, rubbing compound, or I used turtlewax heavy scratch remover paste. I read toothpaste may work too.

Then clean and coat with powdered graphite.

This should make the movement smooth enough to keep the arm from opening the cones.

You also need the case actuating die as well.

ETA: my take is that the PPM is just too cheap, (or the molds are tooo worn and they don't want to buy new ones). Lee looks at the landscape and see a $24 PPM and a everything else at $100, and figures theres money to be made there if they had a product priced at $70. In my view the PPM just works.

But then Lee also goes and removes the crimp from all the bullet seating dies too....so go figure.

Lead Fred
05-20-2015, 11:36 PM
Id never use any Lee measures
I have, and gave them away

jmort
05-21-2015, 01:04 AM

wallenba
05-21-2015, 12:24 PM
Started with my first Lee, this one, http://www.midwayusa.com/product/537685/lee-auto-disk-powder-measure?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Modified it with this kit, http://www.midwayusa.com/product/155227/lee-auto-disk-powder-measure-update-kit?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Modified it with this kit, http://www.midwayusa.com/product/155227/lee-auto-disk-powder-measure-update-kit?cm_vc=ProductFinding

I tried the charge bar, didn't like it. I kept the spring return case activation from the original. Added a riser, and used the swivel adapter. I turn down the powder charge thru expanders I use, so as to, NOT expand, or flair the case mouth (I use 'm' die instead). I then ground a notch in the web of the casting under the measure to create clearance for the return spring. Now, no more 'twanging' from the spring, or jerking of the powder disk that tossed powder out. The turned down PTX allows cases with powder, to retract smoothly without 'popping off' with a jerk, tossing powder again. The new hopper has a rubber wiper that prevents most powder leaks. The cost of the old model and the update kit together are not that much more than the newer round one. A plus is, you end up with the brass quick change knurled nuts, and can quickly remove the hopper. The newer round measure has screws into plastic.

More work than some might be willing to put into them, but I am very happy now with mine, and continue to buy them when I add another caliber turret plate to my Loadmaster. About $45 and $25 for riser and a PTX. Or $90 for a Uniflow + another $65 for case activation linkage to set up on the same press. Accuracy is +/- .1 grain on average, about the same as my Uniflow.

mdi
05-21-2015, 12:49 PM
Thanks daboone for the excellent test/post. If I didn't already have 2 excellent powder measures, I think I'd seriously look at one of the new Lee measures.

Unfortunately, as seen here on this thread, mention Lee and the Lee Haters crawl out and "contribute" their misconceived "opinions"...

wallenba
05-21-2015, 01:01 PM

Mary, the threads on the bottom of the PPM are not 7/8-14 like reloading dies, so it will not thread into the Loadmaster turret plate. Also, a manually operated powder dispenser might not be a good idea on a progressive. One little 'brain fart', and you've forgotten to charge, or God forbid, double charged a case. The Lee auto disk with a case activated PTX is probably the best budget minded option out there (I avoid the chain actuated dispensers).

WALLNUTT
05-21-2015, 09:06 PM
I like LEE powder measures 'cause people give'em away and they work great for me.

tiger762
05-21-2015, 09:19 PM
I've been looking for a powder measure to throw 210 grains of WC860 for my LAR 50BMG. Hornady makes one that Midway has on sale right now for $90. I already have 7 Lee PPM's. One was not set up at the moment, so knowing it can't throw a full 210, I figured "why not set it up to 105". I ended up around 7.25 cc's. Fine tuned it and got consistent 105.2's. With each throw, I can see a depression form in the powder. If you submit your type 03 (C&R) FFL to different places you can get a Lee PPM for $18.69. I'll gladly work the lever twice per round. Heck, for the 50BMG I weigh each powder charge anyway.....

I like LEE powder measures 'cause people give'em away and they work great for me.

MaryB
05-22-2015, 12:51 AM
PPM can be case activated with an adapter Lee sells.

Mary, the threads on the bottom of the PPM are not 7/8-14 like reloading dies, so it will not thread into the Loadmaster turret plate. Also, a manually operated powder dispenser might not be a good idea on a progressive. One little 'brain fart', and you've forgotten to charge, or God forbid, double charged a case. The Lee auto disk with a case activated PTX is probably the best budget minded option out there (I avoid the chain actuated dispensers).

RogerDat
05-22-2015, 01:26 AM
Appreciate the information. I talked to someone at Lee a few months before these came out and one of the key things they thought was noteworthy was ability to measure down to 1 grain loads. The PPM only goes down to 2 grain loads but I think the PPM can go to higher loads.

mac60
05-22-2015, 10:58 AM

I have one of the classic powder measures. I'm impressed with it too. I have Redding, Hornady and RCBS measures also, and the Lee CPM is as accurate as any of them. I didn't get the stand though, as I already had another stand. It had some tacky green paint on it though. Once I got all that nasty green paint off and painted it, I like it a lot better!:bigsmyl2:

Love Life
05-24-2015, 07:32 AM
Has anybody run 800X through the Lee PPM? That is the true test of a measure. Muahahahahaha!!!

r1kk1
05-24-2015, 12:11 PM
Has anybody run 800X through the Lee PPM? That is the true test of a measure. Muahahahahaha!!!

True test of any measure! I have a single pound left and running it through a JDS QM and a ChargeMaster. I will post in a new thread later of my results.

take care

r1kk1

wallenba
05-24-2015, 11:26 PM
PPM can be case activated with an adapter Lee sells.

Mary, I got curious about that. I can't see how it would work. Yet, this product description at Midway USA does say so in the bottom paragraph. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/540522/lee-perfect-powder-measure?cm_vc=ProductFinding I tried to find it, could not. I have owned PPM's, and can't see how it could work. I think it might be a misprint, but I'll keep an open mind on it.

MaryB
05-25-2015, 12:40 AM
With ths http://www.titanreloading.com/specialty-reloading-dies/universal-charging-die the arm throws the powder, the chain resets it.

Lead Fred
05-25-2015, 07:32 AM
Its chinese made junk, plain in simple. There are certain things in life you do not skimp on.
equipment for making explosives is one of them.

Ive bought them, used them, and thrown them away. Its the worst you can buy.

Your life maybe worth nothing, mine isnt

WALLNUTT
05-25-2015, 11:04 AM
Don't throw 'em away,send 'em to me. I'll pay the postage.

wallenba
05-25-2015, 01:15 PM
With ths http://www.titanreloading.com/specialty-reloading-dies/universal-charging-die the arm throws the powder, the chain resets it.

WOW! Where have I been? I've totally missed that one, thanks Mary.

mdi
05-25-2015, 02:09 PM
Lighten up, nobody is attacking you...

dragon813gt
05-25-2015, 02:25 PM
Its chinese made junk, plain in simple. There are certain things in life you do not skimp on.
equipment for making explosives is one of them.

LOL
Lee products are made in the USA. And we use propellants, not explosives. You aren't helping your case at all. If you don't like them, fine. But they work very well for a lot of reloaders.

country gent
05-25-2015, 02:38 PM
I started with Lee equipment and while it dosnt always have the polish and finish it does normally work. They are using modern manufacturing technology and accomplishing alot with diffrent proccesses. Its easy to snort and stomp but the equipment normally works and from past experience they do stand behind it. I perfer other powder measures but thats my personal preffrence ( I really like Belding and Mull, Harrels and Brunos along with some other custom ones). A used belding and Mull can be picked up at about the same price point as the lee cast classic. Lymans and rcbs can also be found used for around new cost of the lee. But it is the same technology and lee is offering replacemnt/extra drums reasonably priced. Its a personal choice. I have found saftey is more so with the user not the actual equipment.

runfiverun
05-25-2015, 03:54 PM
had to clean up a few posts.
[shaking my head]

continue.

mdi
05-26-2015, 11:50 AM
Its chinese made junk, plain in simple. Lee equipment is not made in China There are certain things in life you do not skimp on.
equipment for making explosives is one of them. Reloading with modern components uses no explosives.

Ive bought them, used them, and thrown them away. Its the worst you can buy. Far from worse have you seen any SmartReloader equipment?

Your life maybe worth nothing, mine isnt

Try again, jes cleaned it up a bit...:grin:

Moonie
05-26-2015, 02:34 PM
you made a mistake on your 6.1 grains of 2400 analysys. The throws you have listed adds up to 61.3 not 62.2 which gives you 6.13 average. MUCH closer to the 6.1 you had it set for.