PDA

View Full Version : Noe Mold on the way!

johnnyastro22
05-19-2015, 06:13 PM
I just purchased my first NOE Mold today, bought a in stock 311 165Gr. RF RG2 cavity GC (RD)
It comes with HP, FN and cup Point Pins

It's a copy of the Ranch Dog bullet with standard lube grooves made by NOE.
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=1252

I am going to love having the HP. I powder coat all of my cast bullets and it's great to be able to put 'em nose down on the jig and get a great coat that's easy to get off the jig. Right now I use this method with my pistol cast bullets. This will be first HP rifle mold, I'm going to use it for my 30/30.

Can't wait to see how it goes!

Yodogsandman
05-19-2015, 07:47 PM
That's a great first NOE mold! I got mine a couple of months ago and while I haven't got the "magic" load yet, I can just feel it's just a tweak away. That's a very versatile boolit, too. Good for almost any 30 cal rifle!

Be sure to pre-heat your mold to get those pins nice and hot. The ring just above the gas check shank is where you want to look to see if you've got good fill out. I got good boolits right away using a hot plate to pre-heat.

kalison
05-20-2015, 04:08 AM
You'll love it!

PoisonIvyMagnet
05-20-2015, 02:45 PM
That was my first NOE mold as well, it's great! The guys are right, preheat it on a hotplate to get the mold, and especially the pins, heated up. I had a hard time getting good boolits until I did just that. Using it in my Marlin 30-30. They drop at about 0.313" for me, and I size to 0.311". Work nicely, I'm guessing you are going to be happy with yours. Happy casting!

Fireball57
05-20-2015, 04:23 PM
I just received a NOE 311299 GC & PB mould a couple of days ago in the mailbox. It is exquisite! Just about to cast for a 1903 Springfield with a match-grade Douglas barrel. Have a great day!

2wheelDuke
05-20-2015, 04:39 PM
I thought about the hollow point version, but decided on the flat nose. I seem to need a session of mostly cull boolits with a new NOE mold, even after I clean it with hot water and dish soap, the wipe with alcohol Q-tips and some pre heat cycles.

I don't know why, but nothing full replaces lead in the cavities for break in.

i did get some acceptable ones in my first session. I coated them in Smoke's blue powder, they look great.

I just got my 311299 mold really broken in, then I got the 311 165 and a Harris mold in brass. I've got a lot of casting to do in .30 cal.

johnnyastro22
05-23-2015, 08:50 PM
Got my new NOE mold already. Super fast shipping! I don't have a little hot plate, have any of ya'll done break in preheat by putting the mold on your lead pot? Should work by my way of thinking...

kbstenberg
05-23-2015, 10:24 PM
John You can break in a mold in the stove. Ive don it many times.

JeffinNZ
05-24-2015, 12:03 AM
Oh dear. NOE moulds are a bit like potato crisps. One ain't never enough.

TXGunNut
05-24-2015, 12:18 AM
Good call, excellent mould. Bought the Lee version from Ranch Dog awhile back, just got a PB version from NOE with standard lube grooves. Don't fight it, OP. Get a hot plate. Or use a stove burner for now.

Mulehead64
05-24-2015, 07:25 PM
I am looking forward to hearing how the mold works out for you. I have been eyeing that one as my first NOE mold as well. I have never had an HP mold before. I take it there is a retainer plate on the bottom that holds the pins in place when dumping bullets? Are the bullets a bit fussy when dumping?

Blammer
05-24-2015, 08:06 PM
mulehead64, if your mould is not pre heated and the pins are not hot enough, yes it will be fussy dumping them.

do a quick check around here for RG moulds and how to use them, lots of good suggestions.