PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about 454 DA and why you chose that 1.

Harter66
05-19-2015, 05:34 PM
I actually want to select 1 to tune and alter much like a S&W Governor except of course with just the 454 S a maximum length . I want a DA , I like the RBH but it is in Colts and basically I just want a DA . I also want to have it turned to except moon clips whether half, full or 2x to add the ability to use up the ever growing coffee can of split necks and crushed necks w/o sweating loads for the difference in load data for a Ruger Colts and space lost to LC 74 762 NATO case. It will keep a step to headspace Clots etc. I know there will be losses for a GAP load rattling around the 3/4 of an inch of chamber but if it gets that bad that that is the normal we got other troubles. 8m actually looking toward Schofield and Winchester mag as short cases .

So with that suggest away heck offer if you think we might cross paths.

Apparently my every word is jibberish .

I want a 454 basic gun that is or could be modified to work with a snap ring device for a rimless cartridge in a similar configuration to the S&W Governor that will use 45 ACP through .410 . I would like to have a pistol like that that will manage up to 454 Casuall and length wise down to 45 GAP.

jrayborn
05-19-2015, 06:42 PM
Huh?...

Harter66
05-19-2015, 10:26 PM
Here, I added clarity

str8wal
05-19-2015, 11:01 PM
Why..?

DougGuy
05-19-2015, 11:22 PM
So just go and buy a .460 S&W no?

Gibbs44
05-20-2015, 06:25 AM
Raging judge if you can find one. It'll handle the 454 and 410, you probably would have to have cylinder work done to accept the moon clips.

Harter66
05-20-2015, 08:20 AM
Doug I checked out a 460, actually it was a 500 but an X just the same. It's just too much of a good thing. I may go there after the bolt rifle or the 444 or 450 Marlin conversion to 460.

I wasn't aware there was a Raging Judge , I knew about the Bull but have read so many "it's fine for me but doesn't actually do what it should" stories.

Grapeshot
05-20-2015, 10:30 AM
???? Let me get this straight. You want a S$W N or X frame revolver that will handle .454 Casuall, .45 Colt, .45 CS, .45 ACP, .45 GAP and .410 Shotgun ammo? Right? Taurus Judge series, S&W Governor series will be your best choices. Good Luck!

Harter66
05-20-2015, 11:56 AM
I don't really feel a want for the 460 or 410 .

Maybe this cat just shouldn't be skinned.

44 Special
05-20-2015, 12:14 PM
I don't have a clue what this thread is about?

But just let me say that I have a Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Casull that will shoot one hole groups out to 50 yards with Cast Performance bullets and Hodgdon H-110 powder. I wouldn't trade or sell that gun for anything.

Am I even close to answering the OP's question?

runfiverun
05-20-2015, 12:38 PM
I have a good idea what you want.

the D/A part is what is killing you though, I'd go S/A and have cylinders made.
I have worked with the old north American arms/freedom arms revolver that took different cylinders for the 450 mag/45 win mag/ and 45 colt.
the 450 mag was basically a rimless 454 casull and lead to the 454 casull being brought about.
but each cylinder brought about much better accuracy than doing the moon clip and jump thing.

but since you want the D/A and the flexibility I would look at getting a 445 super mag Dan Wesson revolver and screw a 45 colt barrel in it.
then have the cylinder re-worked.
you may not quite get the 454 worked into the deal but everything else would work just fine and you could change out the barrel length as you seen fit.
the whole package should come in under 3 grand if you shop around some.

44man
05-20-2015, 01:11 PM
My experience is shorter brass is never as accurate. I fully believe it is an alignment problem and not a jump to rifling. Might also have something to do with a boolit expanding to the chamber and getting too large for throats. Sure, you can shoot all kinds of stuff from a .454 but is it worth it?
Why so many split necks? I can count case loss on two fingers! I am shooting .44 brass shot over 40X and some of my .475 and JRH brass has more then I can count. I have lost a case now and then when brand new but only one after. Brass from the late 50's.
I once had old brass that I loaded up for a friend since I had them so long, figured at least one more shot but darn, he is still loading them.
I am the original miser.
I don't know that much about the .454 since I never fell for the round.

DougGuy
05-20-2015, 01:22 PM
Might also have something to do with a boolit expanding to the chamber and getting too large for throats.

^^^^ THIS.. would be a deciding factor for one, what I would shoot or recommend be shot out of a cylinder. .45 Schofield in a .45 Colt cylinder? Not a prob, but look at the pressure (or LACK of) that you are dealing with between these two calibers!

With Lyman #2 you might get it to .45 ACP +P pressures of 23,000psi before it begins to obturate very much. Same with water dropped WW. Anything softer, such as 20:1 or 50/50 would be ill advised in a short brass/long chamber scenario. You would need separate cylinders for quite a number of the calibers you want this gun to use, out of a safety concern.

waksupi
05-20-2015, 03:33 PM
???? Let me get this straight. You want a S$W N or X frame revolver that will handle .454 Casuall, .45 Colt, .45 CS, .45 ACP, .45 GAP and .410 Shotgun ammo? Right? Taurus Judge series, S&W Governor series will be your best choices. Good Luck!

You would want to check customer reviews before putting your money into one of those turkeys (Taurus Judge). I shot a friend's, was totally unimpressed.
Gimmick.

rhouser
05-20-2015, 04:31 PM
Hey I hunt tree rats with my 3" 410 judge. 7 1/2 shot patterns up to 15 yards, my trees are 45 feet. I chase them round the tree hammering up toward the sky. No worrys about overshooting, might consider sunglasses for the falling shot. Too much fun for one old man. It also plays hell with raccoons in the trash can. Virtue is, the shot falls out of the air before I pummel my neighbors house. That is the value of the Tauras judge to me. I sometimes take it and my 1955 Stevens bolt 410 and go kick the fields and tree lines for rabbits and squirrels. Takes me back a bunch of years
rch

Harter66
05-20-2015, 07:08 PM
The cases aren't in a huge number but are a collection of 25 yr or so. You know the 1s with lube wrinkled shoulders, the neck that hit the decaping pin,the formed cases that didn't because .
It is looking more like a super BH and multiple cylinders .

That why I like this place , there is someone to shoo the good idea fairies off the bench until the engineer can clear up the "why not" .

I may still tinker with this but not to such a grand scale ,Casuall, Colts and Schofield. .... Colts and Schofield should keep me occupied until a 44 mag comes along either rough enough or cheap enough to rebbl ,mill and ream . RBH cylinders aren't that expensive so there's no reason not to ream 1 for the Win Mag , theoretical Auto Mag or Rowland.